“Bed Bugs and Damp Carpets and Unresponsive Service”

The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #29 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We just stayed the weekend at the Omni Independence in Philadelphia. It was a great location, near all the sites and they were kind enough to check us in early on a friday into what appeared to be fine room.

On saturday morning, my 6 year old woke up with 10 bed bug bites after sleeping in the sofa bed. We also discovered the carpet next to the AC was damp likely from the condensation.

I went down early saturday morning to report the bed bugs and the damp carpet (your sock would get wet if you stepped in it). The front desk clerk noted my issue, and said she'd talk to the manager.

I wasn't sure if anything was done with the bed bugs as we were out for much of saturday, but i assumed it was...though the carpet by the AC was still very damp. When we checked out on sunday, I inquired with the same front desk clerk who said that they hadn't done anything about it yet...but would send someone up now. Which is great for the next guest but not so much for us as we were checking out.

Overall we had a great weekend beyond just the bed bugs and the discomfort my child was in. But I was disturbed by the lack of responsiveness to what should be an immediate health/hygiene concern of bed bug infestation and possible mold in the carpet (right by the AC). No action was taken till very late, nor did the manager apologize to us. I actually filled out an omni customer satisfaction survey on monday and told my same story, with no response. I was hoping that my survey would prompt some sort of response, so I wouldn't have to write this review. Hopefully now they will pay attention and take some action.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
12  Thank esy_chicago
There are newer reviews for The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We decided to travel to Philadelphia for a trip with the kids (4 and 2). We thought that the Omni would be the best location as far as walking to and from sites. The location is GREAT!! The service was also very good. They were very attentive and the front desk person was very helpful in choosing places to eat (Jones's and Triumph Brewery were within walking distance and great places to eat). The hotel was clean and the bell staff was friendly and helpful. The only thing that was a little surprising was the size of the pool. The pool is a lap pool that is located within the spa in the downstairs of the hotel. It is small and very slippery around the perimeter. Do not expect a lot of room when swimming however it is very nice. The kids enjoyed it but it is not that big for older kids to have a good time in. Also, the valet parking was expensive but use it. The in and out privileges alone make it worth the $34/night. Overall the sound level of the outside was not a problem and if you are a member of the Omni Guest Rewards program, you will get a lot more for your stay - all complimentary. We did receive everything that we were promised - from the paper in the morning to the complimentary morning beverages. They were delivered when we asked them to. The room was very clean but the floor was not vacuumed entirely during our stay. Bose radio in the room was nice and the view was of the south side of Philly - so we could see the stadiums in the distance. Again, this is the place if you are looking to do a lot of sightseeing in center city and do not want to walk too far. Overall we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2010

My family and I have stayed at the Omni several times now and have always
been very pleased with the staff and service.Now traveling with 2 children a 1
year old and a three year old, location is everything! You can sight see and eat
right by the hotel.If you want to catch a game while you are there the stadium is right
down the road.Family friendly eating can be tricky because night life kicks in about 7:30
and it seamed everything went from eatery to bar,With that said thought we tried Jones
up the road on chestnut at around 7:30 and it was great!! The Food,service and noise It could`nt get better than this. (mac~n~cheese rocks)!!
If driving book a special that includes parking through their web sight or another or it adds up.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I experienced luxury at a budget price.
The rooms were so elegant, sparkling clean and bed so comfortable.
In the nicest part of town with so much history to see and delicious places to eat.

Full free use of the pool and gym and free internet usage.

Friendly staff and classy decor through out.

Definitely one of the highlights of my partners and my US travels.

Reviewed 17 June 2010

I chose the Omni because of its location in the historic district. Thanks to trip advisor, I joined the Omni Select Club, which was free. I asked for a quiet room, and I was amazed with my room! We had a recently renovated corner room, with large windows looking right at Independence Hall. For a history teacher like myself, what more could you want? The area felt very safe. The room was very clean, and the beds were quite comfortable. We did not hear any noise, which delighted my husband, who is a very light sleeper. Thanks to a special on the Omni website, the room was very reasonably priced. It was a perfect hotel room!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Chose the Omni for our week long vacation to Old City and I am so glad I did not rely on some of the negative reviews, because the Omni was absolutely awesome! We had a corner room on the eighth floor with a fabulous view of Independance Hall. Service was top notch in all areas from room service to housekeeping to valet to front desk. We ate breakfast in the restaurant once and then ordered room service for the rest of our mornings, but the restaurant was beautiful and food was great. Room was quite large as well as the bathroom. The location cannot be matched by any other hotel in the area, the Omni is right across the street from Independance Hall. I'm not sure where the negative reviews on this site came from, but these people could not have been staying at the Omni.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2010

The room was nice and big and the bathroom was nice, but fixureswere a bit aged with rust around them. I could not really tell if the room was newly renovated but the carpeting seemed new. The previous pics looked the same as the room. The room was quiet and the select guest membership seems to really please the guest with meeting all criteria. The staff was very nice. The only thing I could complain about is some of the things such as door moldings and shower fixtures were in need of fresh paint etc. In the front lobby the round chair looks worn and a bit dirty. Overall this was a very nice room and we slept great. Also the room had a nice flat screen TV and Bose sound radio---Nice!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends