“Couldn't ask for a better location.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #23 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, England
“Couldn't ask for a better location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

This hotel is in an unbelievable location, right next to Independence Hall, in the heart of the old city.

The staff were super-friendly and helpful, particularly Carey (sp?), who helped us with our bags and sorted out the valet parking for our car. He also gave us some terrific recommendations for places to find a great Philly Cheese Steak and breakfast. He is a credit to the Omni Hotel at Independence Hall.

Our room was large and spotlessly clean, with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Ashburn, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I come from VA and need to be treated for eye cancer at Wills Eye Hospital in Phila. The Omni is the closest hotel to the hospital and they offer a discount. When we arrived, we circled up and down the one-way streets looking for parking--finally we followed the signs 6 blocks away and schlepped our bags to the hotel in a cloudburst. As soon as we came into the lobby looking helpless, a kind desk clerk ran to the fore to check us in and tell us of the parking garage right around the corner. Most cheery and welcoming! After a tiring day of travel and our cloudburst experience, my daughter and I decided to avail ourselves of the cushy provided bathrobes and order room service. What a treat! Her salad was great and my filet mignon was out of this world. Breakfast the next day was generous, too. The beds were very plush and comfortable. My only complaint was that after my medical procedure ended I wanted to take a nap, and every day at 3 pm sharp a fife and drum reenactment goes off across the street (we are in the tourist section!). I could have given the room a 5 for cleanliness, but its tiled tub/shower was old and a little stained in the grout--not active mildew, just older and stained. The soaps, however, were wonderful! Take them home with you! One other thing: I couldn't get the shower to produce anything but scalding hot water, so I gave myself a sponge bath and shampoo in the sink! Later my daughter explained that you have to crank the handle to the max, then back off to get the cooler temperature you want. I prefer showers to be a little more obvious! Nevertheless, my daughter and i had a very relaxing and lovely stay during some tense times.

• Stayed June 2010
3 Thank KathyAshburn_VA
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

We just stayed the weekend at the Omni Independence in Philadelphia. It was a great location, near all the sites and they were kind enough to check us in early on a friday into what appeared to be fine room.

On saturday morning, my 6 year old woke up with 10 bed bug bites after sleeping in the sofa bed. We also discovered the carpet next to the AC was damp likely from the condensation.

I went down early saturday morning to report the bed bugs and the damp carpet (your sock would get wet if you stepped in it). The front desk clerk noted my issue, and said she'd talk to the manager.

I wasn't sure if anything was done with the bed bugs as we were out for much of saturday, but i assumed it was...though the carpet by the AC was still very damp. When we checked out on sunday, I inquired with the same front desk clerk who said that they hadn't done anything about it yet...but would send someone up now. Which is great for the next guest but not so much for us as we were checking out.

Overall we had a great weekend beyond just the bed bugs and the discomfort my child was in. But I was disturbed by the lack of responsiveness to what should be an immediate health/hygiene concern of bed bug infestation and possible mold in the carpet (right by the AC). No action was taken till very late, nor did the manager apologize to us. I actually filled out an omni customer satisfaction survey on monday and told my same story, with no response. I was hoping that my survey would prompt some sort of response, so I wouldn't have to write this review. Hopefully now they will pay attention and take some action.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank esy_chicago
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We decided to travel to Philadelphia for a trip with the kids (4 and 2). We thought that the Omni would be the best location as far as walking to and from sites. The location is GREAT!! The service was also very good. They were very attentive and the front desk person was very helpful in choosing places to eat (Jones's and Triumph Brewery were within walking distance and great places to eat). The hotel was clean and the bell staff was friendly and helpful. The only thing that was a little surprising was the size of the pool. The pool is a lap pool that is located within the spa in the downstairs of the hotel. It is small and very slippery around the perimeter. Do not expect a lot of room when swimming however it is very nice. The kids enjoyed it but it is not that big for older kids to have a good time in. Also, the valet parking was expensive but use it. The in and out privileges alone make it worth the $34/night. Overall the sound level of the outside was not a problem and if you are a member of the Omni Guest Rewards program, you will get a lot more for your stay - all complimentary. We did receive everything that we were promised - from the paper in the morning to the complimentary morning beverages. They were delivered when we asked them to. The room was very clean but the floor was not vacuumed entirely during our stay. Bose radio in the room was nice and the view was of the south side of Philly - so we could see the stadiums in the distance. Again, this is the place if you are looking to do a lot of sightseeing in center city and do not want to walk too far. Overall we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

My family and I have stayed at the Omni several times now and have always
been very pleased with the staff and service.Now traveling with 2 children a 1
year old and a three year old, location is everything! You can sight see and eat
right by the hotel.If you want to catch a game while you are there the stadium is right
down the road.Family friendly eating can be tricky because night life kicks in about 7:30
and it seamed everything went from eatery to bar,With that said thought we tried Jones
up the road on chestnut at around 7:30 and it was great!! The Food,service and noise It could`nt get better than this. (mac~n~cheese rocks)!!
If driving book a special that includes parking through their web sight or another or it adds up.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

I experienced luxury at a budget price.
The rooms were so elegant, sparkling clean and bed so comfortable.
In the nicest part of town with so much history to see and delicious places to eat.

Full free use of the pool and gym and free internet usage.

Friendly staff and classy decor through out.

Definitely one of the highlights of my partners and my US travels.

• Stayed June 2010
Trinity, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

I chose the Omni because of its location in the historic district. Thanks to trip advisor, I joined the Omni Select Club, which was free. I asked for a quiet room, and I was amazed with my room! We had a recently renovated corner room, with large windows looking right at Independence Hall. For a history teacher like myself, what more could you want? The area felt very safe. The room was very clean, and the beds were quite comfortable. We did not hear any noise, which delighted my husband, who is a very light sleeper. Thanks to a special on the Omni website, the room was very reasonably priced. It was a perfect hotel room!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family