“Great Location for Historical Sites” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #25 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Spotsylvania, VA
“Great Location for Historical Sites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

I got a GREAT deal on a room here $102 for the night. I wanted to stay within walking distance (short walking distance in the summer heat, that is!) within Independence Park and saw this is about as close as you can get. Independence Hall is a VERY short block away, if that. The Liberty Bell a tad farther. 3 blocks away Ben Franklin's Grave and maybe 4 blocks Besty Ross's House. Unfortunately, the indoor pool was closed early (closes early on a Sunday). We stayed 1 night. Did not eat at the hotel restaurants. We did eat at the Cosi right there on the corner and it not only was lousy, it was hot AND it took forever. Right next door to Cosi is Mrs. K's Koffee Shop. Ate breakfast there for cheap...was good, they were timely and very nice. Should have ate dinner there instead of Cosi.

Took a cab to Reading Terminal Market the day we got there. It was about a $4.50 cab fare..not too bad. We did use the hotel valet and I would recommend it..you have in & out privileges and they are quick to get your car. The room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was big and clean, no fan though and I really hate that!! The bed was a bit soft for me as I like it firm. We were on level 5 and could hear street noise as well..so ask for a higher room. The sofabed did not look very comfortable..at all and well..it wasn't. My kids didn't complain, but an adult would have. The A/C system wasn't the best. It didn't get all that cool and I like it around 69/70 degrees..it was more like 75 even though we set it down to 70. I would stay here again for the price I paid, but I don't think I would stay here for anything above $150.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dznyfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

Our room was very clean, the bathroom was spacious w/ lots of amenities and thick towels, and have some of the best lighting I have found in a hotel bathroom. The bed was soft and comfortable, though I am not used to a soft mattress,so some back stiffness the next day. Staff was friendly. We had a maintenance issue w/ our door lock, I called the desk, and someone was there within 5 minutes. Will store luggage for free after check out. Would have liked to have had a swim Sunday night, but pool closed at 1pm.

The location cannot be beat for touring the old city, can easily walk to all the historic center attractions, and plenty of restaurants for breakfast/lunch/dinner an easy walk away.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anony
Mahopac, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

We were in town for a soccer match and decided to tack on a couple of days to see the historical sights. The Omni was wonderful - clean, comfortable and very family friendly (pool was lovely but not really for children). The staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to insure a wonderful stay. Thank you!

Birmingham, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

This hotel is in an unbelievable location, right next to Independence Hall, in the heart of the old city.

The staff were super-friendly and helpful, particularly Carey (sp?), who helped us with our bags and sorted out the valet parking for our car. He also gave us some terrific recommendations for places to find a great Philly Cheese Steak and breakfast. He is a credit to the Omni Hotel at Independence Hall.

Our room was large and spotlessly clean, with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Ashburn, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I come from VA and need to be treated for eye cancer at Wills Eye Hospital in Phila. The Omni is the closest hotel to the hospital and they offer a discount. When we arrived, we circled up and down the one-way streets looking for parking--finally we followed the signs 6 blocks away and schlepped our bags to the hotel in a cloudburst. As soon as we came into the lobby looking helpless, a kind desk clerk ran to the fore to check us in and tell us of the parking garage right around the corner. Most cheery and welcoming! After a tiring day of travel and our cloudburst experience, my daughter and I decided to avail ourselves of the cushy provided bathrobes and order room service. What a treat! Her salad was great and my filet mignon was out of this world. Breakfast the next day was generous, too. The beds were very plush and comfortable. My only complaint was that after my medical procedure ended I wanted to take a nap, and every day at 3 pm sharp a fife and drum reenactment goes off across the street (we are in the tourist section!). I could have given the room a 5 for cleanliness, but its tiled tub/shower was old and a little stained in the grout--not active mildew, just older and stained. The soaps, however, were wonderful! Take them home with you! One other thing: I couldn't get the shower to produce anything but scalding hot water, so I gave myself a sponge bath and shampoo in the sink! Later my daughter explained that you have to crank the handle to the max, then back off to get the cooler temperature you want. I prefer showers to be a little more obvious! Nevertheless, my daughter and i had a very relaxing and lovely stay during some tense times.

• Stayed June 2010
3 Thank KathyAshburn_VA
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

We just stayed the weekend at the Omni Independence in Philadelphia. It was a great location, near all the sites and they were kind enough to check us in early on a friday into what appeared to be fine room.

On saturday morning, my 6 year old woke up with 10 bed bug bites after sleeping in the sofa bed. We also discovered the carpet next to the AC was damp likely from the condensation.

I went down early saturday morning to report the bed bugs and the damp carpet (your sock would get wet if you stepped in it). The front desk clerk noted my issue, and said she'd talk to the manager.

I wasn't sure if anything was done with the bed bugs as we were out for much of saturday, but i assumed it was...though the carpet by the AC was still very damp. When we checked out on sunday, I inquired with the same front desk clerk who said that they hadn't done anything about it yet...but would send someone up now. Which is great for the next guest but not so much for us as we were checking out.

Overall we had a great weekend beyond just the bed bugs and the discomfort my child was in. But I was disturbed by the lack of responsiveness to what should be an immediate health/hygiene concern of bed bug infestation and possible mold in the carpet (right by the AC). No action was taken till very late, nor did the manager apologize to us. I actually filled out an omni customer satisfaction survey on monday and told my same story, with no response. I was hoping that my survey would prompt some sort of response, so I wouldn't have to write this review. Hopefully now they will pay attention and take some action.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank esy_chicago
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We decided to travel to Philadelphia for a trip with the kids (4 and 2). We thought that the Omni would be the best location as far as walking to and from sites. The location is GREAT!! The service was also very good. They were very attentive and the front desk person was very helpful in choosing places to eat (Jones's and Triumph Brewery were within walking distance and great places to eat). The hotel was clean and the bell staff was friendly and helpful. The only thing that was a little surprising was the size of the pool. The pool is a lap pool that is located within the spa in the downstairs of the hotel. It is small and very slippery around the perimeter. Do not expect a lot of room when swimming however it is very nice. The kids enjoyed it but it is not that big for older kids to have a good time in. Also, the valet parking was expensive but use it. The in and out privileges alone make it worth the $34/night. Overall the sound level of the outside was not a problem and if you are a member of the Omni Guest Rewards program, you will get a lot more for your stay - all complimentary. We did receive everything that we were promised - from the paper in the morning to the complimentary morning beverages. They were delivered when we asked them to. The room was very clean but the floor was not vacuumed entirely during our stay. Bose radio in the room was nice and the view was of the south side of Philly - so we could see the stadiums in the distance. Again, this is the place if you are looking to do a lot of sightseeing in center city and do not want to walk too far. Overall we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family