“Penn's View in Philly”
Review of Penn's View Hotel

Penn's View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This pretty little hotel was quiet, within walking distance of many nice bars and restaurants, Alsford Alley, Betsy Ross' House, the Liberty Bell, etc. and also had a large area to park your car for a fee. I think it had one of the best continental breakfasts I've ever had anywhere. The lobby was decorated with a homey Christmas theme when we went.

The beds were comfortable, everyone was nice, it had everything we needed, you name it. Love this place!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank kelly55423

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I lucked out by finding a room at the Penn View, which is a rare gem in Philly. I didn't realize what a pleasant side of town it would be, and what a great staff I'd discover! When I first arrived, the lack of a ramp into the small cozy entrance way of the hotel put me off, but I quickly learned that that was actually part of the charm of the place; everything you found was the antithesis to a large, chain, and impersonal run hotel. I loved the staff, the hotel room, the breakfast area, and the environs.

Room Tip: I'd advise trying to get a room with a view, above the 2nd floor, if possible!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank worldtravelertrainer
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Greatly enjoyed my stay at Penn's View. Comfortable room, excellent breakfast, unfailingly helpful counter staff, free internet access, extremely convenient to bus and subway and walking distance to many attractions. Very good value.

Room Tip: River view is nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank shields3033
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Just got back from 4 days in Philadelphia attending a conference. I selected Penn's View based on price and the number of great reviews it had received. I was not disappointed. Though it was not in the convention center district, Penn's View was a 15-20 walk or easy subway ride to the convention center area. The room was very well maintained, desk staff very friendly and accommodating and the complimentary breakfast adequate. Room service was far better than most hotels with well-prepared Italian fare and an unmatched wine selection.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank MNLibrarian
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Hubby and I stayed overnight on Feb. 24th his birthday. They had a special Leap Year rate for anyone born between 2/24 and 2/29 - plus you got a bottle of champagne, a cake and a box of chocolates. We were greeted with such pleasantry and that carried throughout our stay. This little boutique hotel is perfect and in a great location - rooms are clean and quaint, bed comfy and the staff was wonderful. We had a small balcony that looked out over Market street and also partial waterview. We stayed here before many years ago and it still is as nice as I remembered. They also have a wonderful Italian restaurant on the premises that has one of the biggest by the glass wine bars in Philadelphia and also include a free continental breakfast for all guests. At night, the Ben Franklin bridge is lit up and its beautiful. Easy to get around town from the hotel and close enough to bars, restaurants, pubs and historical sites that you could walk all over. Don't miss this hidden gem of a property. The staff, prices and stay was a great one and we would definitely come back. All in all a very memorable time spent in Philadelphia!

Room Tip: Several types of rooms are available - if you want a fireplace they have those but get something tha...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nailbitter007
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I travel as often as possible and stay at an array of hotels, motels and inns. This is one of our favorites. We were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary and decided to stay simple by driving to Philly and splurging a little on a hotel. We were not disappointed. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly woman at the front desk. We loved the room. We went out for most of the evening and wandered through the olde city and Penn's landing. It wasn't till we came back hours later that we noticed a slight problem. While the bed sheets looked clean they had stuff stuck to them from the wash. I went down to the front desk where a different woman was and explained the situation, thinking she would have someone come up and change the sheets. To my surprise she handed me keys to two other rooms and told me I could pick the one we preferred. We wound up in the loft room and loved it. I have never been in such an accommodating hotel.
That evening we ordered room service from the restaurant and were very happy with that as well. Breakfast was great and made for a wonderful start to the day.
When we checked out the man at the front desk also knew that we had changed rooms and was apologetic.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Loft room has private stairs and a Jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Anna S
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My wife and I and another couple stayed here on the weekend of Feb 3, 2012. The rooms are great. Our room was a great big room, with a brick wall that had the years of history to it. The furniture was very comfortable as was the bed. The other couple had a great room also. we met some friends there and we had plenty of room to hang out and sample wines. The resturant is great and needless to say, the wine list is unbelievable
highly recommended