“Great Priceline rate, but parking charge didn't help.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Philadelphia Airport Marriott

Philadelphia Airport Marriott
Ranked #37 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Mount Vernon, New York
“Great Priceline rate, but parking charge didn't help.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had a great stay at the Philadelphia Airport Marriott. The room was gorgeous with modern amenities and appliances. Comfortable bed, view of the runway (we were on the 7th floor out of 15 total) and big TV. The room also had a coffee maker with 2 mini creamers, sugar, cups, etc. The bathroom was lovely. The extra large shower had glass floor to ceiling doors. They took the extra steps to make the room nice like creating a flower made out of tissues to sit on top of the tissue box. We enjoyed our room stay overall. We did not try the wi-fi. The restaurant downstairs in the lobby of the hotel is really great! We ordered the pretzel bites and the cobb salad as a late night snack and they were both delicious and reasonably priced.

Cons:

-The doors in this hotel are paper thin, so if you have people out in the hallway making more than average noise, you are going to hear EVERYTHING.

-The parking rate is a bit ridiculous. I'm not really sure why, but they do not offer their guests parking. You have to pay a rate of $20.40 per day, so while it is great to get a rate of $79.99 on Priceline, you get $20 in taxes/fees and another $20 for parking. The garage is also really frustrating to get through with multiple tickets needed, hang tags, etc. but I admit the signage was good to help people figure out where to go.

-Also, upon walking in to the room, we noticed an extremely heavy cleaning smell that was not pleasant. It cleared up once we put the air on full blast, though.

Would stay here again if not for the parking fee, but I imagine it is great for those needing a place close to the airport for an early flight out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

This marriott was not worth the perceived benefit of having proximity to the airport. I love marriott properties for the most part, and think their customer service is always top-notch, but this particular one doesn't seem to have been made from the same strict mold that every other one has.
To start with my particular scenario, I was staying for business purposes and was not sure when my last day would be. I explained this to the customer service desk and we agreed that I would do a day to day update either continuing or ending my stay. I understood this was slightly more inconvenient than the average booking, but it wasn't impossible by any stretch and it definitely didn't deserve the blatantly obvious malcontent that I received when needing to extend for another day. Additionally, I was working at night and sleeping during the day. I tried putting up the "do not disturb" sign on the door and calling the front desk asking to have the maids not knock on my door, and they wouldn't get the message translated. Two days in a row I had been woken up to knocking from housekeeping. It took me meeting the maids in the hall and writing down on their little notepad to not knock at my door number.
They're wake up call service was automated so you could only arrange one wake up call per day and the front desk was once again unwilling to do anything more than say "I don't know if we can do more, or who to ask".
Then at checkout I asked for a clarification to why I was getting charged a little over twice the amount for the same room, on the same day, on a lower level than a colleague of mine who booked through the same company channels. I got some hands thrown in the air saying they didn't know and that rates can change, and even the manager said he can't go back and see how we were charged for what days. The receipt in front of us was the only thing we could go off of.
Then I ran into another issue because I got called to this business trip in the middle of a vacation so I was running out of clothes. I was more than willing (practically begging in fact) for them to take my clothes in the laundry service on a Saturday that they advertised and was told that since it was after 8am (I was working till 10am) that they couldn't do anything. So, okay, the next night, I specially arranged to drive back to the hotel and turn in my clothes before 8am. I get all the way there, and am told they don't do laundry cleaning on Sunday. I explained yet again that I was there on business in the middle of a vacation, didn't have any clothes, didn't have the time available to sit in a laundry room for 2 hours, and was practically begging to pay the absolutely exorbitant prices that hotel laundry service is - and they were insistent on not helping me in anyway possible.
On top of all that, on checkout, they double charged my colleague! This they ended up correcting, but the oversights by this group from the get go is unacceptable (keep in mind that this spread over multiple days and shifts, so it was the whole assembly of workers).
Like I said, I really like marriott, but this one falls far short and actually goes in the opposite direction. Had this been my first marriott stay, I'd never go back to one.
If you get stuck in phl unexpectedly, they might help you out for a one off night (and you probably aren't reading long winded reviews anyhow), but you'll get overcharged and won't get smiles or any evidence of a genuine desire to help you or make your stay comfortable.
If it's the next nearest hotel is $50 more expensive, per night, go there instead. You will come out on top.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ajkpitt
Barry K, Manager at Philadelphia Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Good Afternoon,
Please accept my personal apologies for the less than acceptable experiences you had during your recent stay with us. It was disappointing to read that several departments of the hotel were not providing you the high level of Marriott service.
Both the Housekeeping & Front Office Managers have investigated your concerns, and have made the necessary corrections to ensure other guests are not negatively affected by similar requests, such as assistance with laundry and daily housekeeping needs.
We also should have done a better job in explaining our rates to you when you questioned the apparent inconsistencies.
We hope you will give us one more try, and look forward to serving you again.
Barry
Hunterdon County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

On-site airport hotels have a bit of a monopoly in terms of convenience so it scores high when such hotels, like this one, have great staff and accommodations. I checked in on a busy Sunday night when a chap named Brian was the only staffer on duty - he was courteous and gracious with each guest, and by the time I got to him, he was still patient and helpful with directions about hotel parking and getting to the airport. To compensate for the long wait he also gave me a complimentary wireless access code, which was very generous. The accommodations are clean, spacious, and quiet! (not always the case for an airport hotel). The breakfast in the lobby restaurant was also quite excellent - fresh vegetables in an egg white omelet, crisp bacon, a pot of coffee on the table and fruit substituted for hash browns. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. All in all, a great place to spend the night when you want to be on the grounds of the airport.

Room Tip: I require a feather free room and if you ask in advance, they are happy to set that up. I was on th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had a planned overnight stay at the airport in Philly and the Marriott worked very well. The hotel room was newly renovated, very clean and the price for a Friday night stay was reasonable. We saved over $500 by departing Friday night and connecting through Philadelphia. The Marriott made the overnight at the airport easy.

• Stayed March 2014
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Very convenient and directly connected to airport. Getting to 6 am flight was a breeze. Downside is that there is only one restaurant option once there and it's quite pricey. Very clean and well maintained, beds comfortable, rooms spacious but wish they offered double king suites with 2 kids beds were a bit tight.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ithacamomof2
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed there 1 night.
the staff was friendly, room was clean and comfort, They have a direct connection to the airport from 2nd floor (to terminal B), so we didn't even need to use the shuttle.
Most car rental agencies are located right across the road, so i returned the car easily and walked back to the hotel.
The price was reasonable.
Very recommended if you need to use PHL airport.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Avi T
Slingerlands, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

With this location being connected to terminal B at the Philadelphia airport, this could not be a more convenient hotel. It was also very clean and comfortable, the staff was helpful.

Smoking is not allowed anywhere in the hotel, however when we got to the room it clearly smelled as if there had been smoke that was covered up with cleaning products. In retrospect we should've asked for another room but it was manageable.

One issue was that they included breakfast with our room, I'm not sure why. Even with the elite status they are not forced to do that on the weekend. We were not given any vouchers or anything else to give to the restaurant. We went to the breakfast buffet in the restaurant and the staff seemed confused. We just told them we were told the breakfast was included in our room, but they asked if we had a special rate, and other questions I did not know how to answer. At their request I just wrote something on the check that the breakfast was included however this could've been much smoother. The breakfast was appreciated though as the restaurant is extremely expensive.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family