“A Nice Surprise!”

Ranked #70 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York
“A Nice Surprise!”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and let me tell you, This place is wonderful for it's location and it's staff members. Right when we checked in, our rooms were nice and cozy. The location of the hotel was close to all the sightseeing sights. Love Park was only 15 minutes away walking and Chinatown was right next to us. Needless to say we pigged out heavily. The continental style breakfast was all we needed to get our day started and the wifi access was definitely an advantage. Will have to stay here again the next time i'm in philly!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We stayed 2 nights n September 2012, the welcome was friendly and informative about transportation services - we had no car. The room was clean and spacious enough for a city centre hotel. Breakfast was basic. Our room window faced the Convention Centre but was quiet during night hours. Ice was readily available and fast wifi.

Room Tip: Try to get a 4th floor room on the street side.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Lumby, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I recently stayed at the Travelodge in Philly and had an overall good experience. The room was about average; but the room and bathroom were very clean and the bed was comfortable with 4 pillows provided. No microwave or fridge in the room (didn't miss them) and like the title says "no frills." My main complaints would be that the water pressure from the shower was low and there was a beeping noise in the mornings - not sure what it was; but as my room was facing a lane it could be the removal of a dumpster. Now the good points: The check-in staff were all very cordial and helpful in providing information. The houskeeping staff were also excellent. The location was perfect as it's across the street from the Convention Centre, very close to the Broad St. subway line and other lines, on the edge of Chinatown with numerous restaurants within short walking distance, close to the Reading Terminal market (about 50 eating/drinking/food sellers businesses), and not too far from the historic area. The complimentary breakfast was very basic with not much more than coffee, oj/apple juice/milk, cereal, and bagels and muffins. The hotel looked like it had undergone recent renovations and the elevator, hallways, and lobby areas look like they were newly carpeted. All in all excellent value for money and would recommend to anyone not looking for all the bells and whistles.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room away from Race St. or the lane running alongside the hotel's eastside...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mike T
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We have booked a room in February, our stay was in August. We got a room on the ground level, right next to the reception - outside was the walkway of the convention center. I never stayed somewhere that loud - from inside and outside the hotel.

Staff was absolu rude and not interested in their guest. They texted on their smartphones, red books or were on the phone with their friends. It was all like: another guest is disturbing me.

I will never ever stay in this place again!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Martin F
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I like staying at Travelodge. Unfortunately, this property I cannot add to that list. I called the property to make a reservation. They told me the price, which for downtown Philadelphia, wasn't too bad. They then told me that for cash paying customers, they had to pay them $50 cash for a deposit. For people travelling on a budget is STUPID!!! Local calls are free. I talked to the manager explaining that I was there for Medical reasons with a local hospital. He told me that he would by-pass the deposit. When I got there the front desk clerk said she knew nothing about it. I then talked to the manager, who I previously talked on the phone with, and told me he knew nothing about what he said earlier when we talked on the phone!! To make matters worse, the next morning I had to go up to pay for another night, and they refused to letme stay another night. I have since sent a letter to Travelodge corp office. The rooms there are nice, but with the attitudes there of their management and staff, it wouyld be better for you to spend your money on a hotel that appreciates your business. AVOID staying here!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Wayne J
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night. This hotel is on a tiny, one way street. There is no parking of any kind offered, so you must fend for yourself at one of the nearby lots, which typically charge about $15 per day. Keep in mind that this "day" ends at 6:30am. If you keep your car there past 6:30, you will be forced to pay for another full day. I checked in slightly early, and they informed me that the only rooms they had were on the first floor. This was strange to me, but I didn't have time to argue. I asked if it would be noisy, and I was assured that no, there would be no noise issues. I had my doubts, considering my room was next to the entrance, next to the front desk, and next to the outside street. My suspicions were confirmed that night. The noise was incredible, easily the loudest, most frustrating hotel room I have ever stayed in. People came in and out all night, cell phones rang, cars and trucks ran back and forth on the street outside. The "drapes" in the room barely closed at all, meaning I had to manufacture a makeshift way to keep the light out. My favorite part was when I was awakened at 3am by the front desk guy chatting with someone else, a friend I assume. They were not talking overly-loud, but the room's sound insulation was so poor that I could clearly hear every word they were saying. When I called and asked them to keep the noise down, they merely laughed, and I could hear one of them tell the other one to "tell him to just not sleep". The next morning, this same front desk guy had the wonderful question of, "How'd you sleep?" I made the mistake of trying to be close to where I needed to be that next day by getting a hotel room in the city for "cheap". Don't make this mistake. Stay out in the suburbs in a real hotel, with real parking, and private rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank JohnColumbus_Ohio
Philadelphia
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I chose this hotel because I had a function to attend at the convention center and I wanted a hotel room close to the center with a comfortable bed and that would be a quiet place to rest and study. The hotel is convenient to the convention center - it's directly across the street - but that is the only good thing about my stay. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable beds that I have ever slept in - I did not get good sleep at all. Moreover, my room, 103, was on the first floor and the walls must be paper thin because I could hear everything that was going on in the hotel while in my room - every conversation the front desk had, doors slamming, people talking in the hallway, people going in and out of the elevator. Between the bed and the noise level I barely slept during the 2 nights I stayed at the hotel. The decor of my hotel room was very sterile and drab and the only "window" in my room was a window looking into the hallway of the hotel. My stay here was extremely disappointing - I would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Good luck getting good sleep if you are given room #103! If you must stay here I would request a ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business