“Clean, cheap and friendly”

Apple Hostels Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Nice staff, very clean and with a cool modern look. The common areas were always very clean, the kitchen has all the supplies you need to cook, even spices (that was really appreciated) and sandwich bags.

The location is very good (we walked everywhere but if you want to use public transport, the subway and buses are really close by). They also have cool activities (such as pub crawls, free pasta diner, ghost tour for $2, movie nights, etc) and free tea and coffee all day.

Things I didn't like:

- You have to go up a really narrow stair (we stayed in the coed room and you have to climb a lot of stairs!)

- The rooms were really hot (even though outside it was not warm). They have AC but when we asked to turn it on they told us that they turn it on after 6 pm (so that was really stupid, because we wanted to take a quick nap to go and explore the city)

-There is a women bathroom inside the coed room, so it was usual to find a guy inside (even though the bathroom was for women)

- The common bathrooms that were upstairs needed some cleaning (they usually clean very often the kitchen and the common areas but in my opinion they didn't take enough care of these bathrooms)

-They turn off the lights with a key at 11 pm (so you cannot manipulate the lights) that was really annoying especially because we were the only guests in our room and they turned off the lights anyway.

The hostel was really good, the details I mentioned bothered me but there are not reasons not to stay here. I would definitively recommend it and I would stay here again if I come back to Philly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This is the first time I travel alone so I was a bit scared of what it would be like, and one of my main concerns was the hotel. So I packed extremely light (I only came for the weekend and spent one night) do that I could carry my bag with me at all times and still tour the city in case the hostel turned out to be less than pleasing. But I was wrong. Except for some hair found in the shower and the women's bathroom floor, everything was quite clean. I even sent pictures of the place to one of my neat freak friends. In order to enter the rooms you need to enter a code, so it is reasonably safe. There's always sb at the ftont desk, at least during waking hours. The kitchen is pretty well equipped. There are: large/small bowls, silver ware, plates, spices, pots and pans, appliances, cups, glasses, foil & plastic wraps, paper and plastic bags, etc. In the mornings there is free cereal and milk. Also cofee and tea bags. In the living area, there's a tv, chess board, metegol (sorry!don't know the word in English for it), a wii, computers. Oh, the internet connection is strong and I didn't have trouble once. If there is one thing that brought me trouble, was finding the hotel in the first place! Bank st is only two blocks long and quite far away fron the bus station at 30th st. Ah, I almost forgot about this. There's bar opposite and the music might be loud. I don't know, I didn't happen to hear anything but fyi, there are earplugs. available. I'm sure there are more things to say but I can't remember them. Oh well, I hope this will help you picture what this place is like.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Laura D
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here over the weekend, in the women's dorm. The hostel is clean, the staff are friendly and helpful. I personally liked that the lights are turned off at 11pm it means you aren't disturbed by others who come in later. The hostel is also close to all the attractions of the historic area of town with plenty of public transport nearby. Definitely staying here again when next in Philadelphia!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is the 4th time I've brought a group of exchange students from the UK to the hostel. We stay for a week each time and have always enjoyed our time in Philly. The hostel caters perfectly for our needs and the staff have always been attentive and incredibly friendly. The location of the hostel is ideal for the attractions and close to some great bars and restaurants.

I look forward to returning in 2015!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed for three days in the end of march. I had a medical exam and was concerned that I wasn't able to book a private room.surprisngly, this is a perfectly comfortable hostel.where yes the lights go down at 11.but it's genuis!! ! Since everyone was so respectable and the single each bed lights made it so comfortable to everyone to stay awake if they wish or sleep.the rooms were always perfectly clean and now the staff.yes you read reviews that the staff are helpful. ...well guys they are!!! They are awfully nice, amazingly helpful...and they know the real deals in philly. If you're going to a place what better advice than to take it from an actual person living there.and the manager mark is an amazingly nice and Decent person and he's running an amazingly run hostel. And if you're living in a city you want to connect with people and this is what you do in apple hostels. Since they reinforce more than anything the interactions between residents. Will definitely come back there again and again....if you're alone or with someone. Good job! !!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ranine1
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Great place very surprised it came highly recommended from tourist information at the train station. Very clean spacious and surprisingly quite. Staff very helpful and free breakfast cereal and tea. Showers spotless

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I spent two nights in this cozy yet great hostel in Philly. Although I initially had troubles finding it, its location is pretty great and every major "sight" is within walking distance. The staff was superfriendly and always helpful, Clarissa (one of the receptionists) even told me about the Mural Mile Arts Program which apparently not many people know of but it was a great experience and some excellent street art I discovered - thanks again for that!
As for the rooms, the cleanliness was absolutely reasonable and the beds were quite comfortable. Excellent price-value relation!
Overall, highly recommendable hostel, I had a nice time :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo