“Incredibly pleasant and convenient !”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Scarsdale, New York
“Incredibly pleasant and convenient !”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My husband, baby girl and I stayed at this lovely boutique hotel for one night and boy were we pleasantly surprised ! The hotel itself was clean comfortable and convenient - a real gem The staff we're so nice and helpful, something you don't always find in the bigger chain hotels. I would highly recommend it if you are not looking to spend a lot in te bigger chains We will be back !

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed here with a college friend for two nights. After seeing all of the great reviews, I was a little surprised that the place was a little plain and dark. Though there are some nice deco touches, the choices of wallpaper and carpeting made the place feel dull and old. In particular, the hallways felt grim and not being air-conditioned made them even less appealing.

However, we chose an end room, which was on a top floor. We had a bay window with seating, with a lovely view of the city Skyline. The air conditioning worked great in the room, and the bathroom had been updated. The two double beds had a nondescript comforter, so nothing special, but overall I did like the room.

The front desk staff was very friendly, and the common room, with a sufficient continental breakfast, was filled with friendly people. There is no restaurant, so don't expect meals or room service. Snacks and drinks are available from machines in the dingy basement. It would have been nice if they'd at least kept coffee going during the day, and perhaps offered water bottles in the common area and/or room.

The location was fine - just a short walk down to Redding Market, the train and a Phlash trolly stop. We also walked to South Street and back, to Chinatown, as well as to Rittenhouse Square and the Art Museum. We just followed the "Walk Philadelphia" signs everywhere.

So - overall, fine experience. Not 5 stars by any means, but just fine! A few upgrades to decor would make this more of a gem.

Room Tip: Go for the very best room - it's not that much more expensive!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Leeds
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived late without a reservation. The room rate was good and the front desk staff were very helpful and told us all we needed to know. We had a second floor King room which has clean, pleasant and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet despite being on the front.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reprint
Valley Stream, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I thought I liked this hotel when I was there and really wanted to give it a 5, but in the end I'm not a satisfied customer and have spoken to management and they won't fix a simple problem.

My family and I just completed a three night stay at the Alexander Inn. We liked that the hotel was quiet and we all slept soundly every night. We had a wonderful corner bedroom with two double beds (room 601). Also the continental breakfast was convenient and the perfect start to a day. The staff is friendly and I got a good tip on where to get reasonably priced Chinese food in the area (its Jin on Locust between 11th and 12th). We took advantage of their parking special located a few blocks away - $15 a day.

Now here is where things went sour for me - because it ended up costing me at $55 more than I should have paid.

Regarding the rate for the room - if you look at their website I ended up with a rate that was closest to their maximum rate for the room, and they did not give a AAA discount for it when I asked. If I see that I have paid too much for something and did not get the discount I should have gotten, well you may never hear the end of it. I you want to hear more read on . . .

If you try to book with this hotel the first step is to remember to ask for their AAA rate if you are a member. Second step, if you don't get a proper answer over the phone - ask again and again even if you think you will be an idiot for asking again - just ask! People sometimes give you the wrong answer and if you don't check again - it's on you. This time it cost me. I found out after I checked out that they offered a AAA rate and that soured my experience a lot, given that I have a AAA card in my wallet that I carry 365 days out of the year. This was my one vacation for the year and the one time where I would have been more than happy to pull it out of my wallet. I look for every discount I can find when I travel and I know I asked over the phone at the time of booking about the AAA rate and I was told they didn't accept AAA. (I have a paper on my desk from when I was deciding whether to book with them stating to find out if they offer the AAA rate and it says "no" next to it). Of course now its my word against theirs. The person who says they took my booking is not the person I remember speaking to - I know every time I called I spoke each time to someone by the name of Chris. I even asked if that was the lowest rate they could give because I called the hotel directly thinking I would get the best price that way. It would be nice if they said "well if you are a AAA or AARP member we offer a small discount". This information is also not on their website and I looked several times before booking. There is no indication that they take AAA. So of course I didn't bother to ask again when I checked in. Even during my stay, someone I was suggesting the hotel to asked me if they took AAA and I even told that person that they didn't. If I had a doubt I would have gone down to the desk and asked again to get my rate adjusted. Silly me, I was already told they didn't offer AAA, so of course I believed it. After I had already checked out, that night I found out from a comment here on TripAdvisor that they take AAA. I was really surprised to hear that. I called to discuss with management and they say they can't do anything after I have checked out. Their only answer to me was to remember to ask when I check in or before I check out of a hotel in the future. Even if they have closed out the reservation, I was surprised that management did not offer to make it right. At the very least they should have offered to cut me a check for the difference after I sent them a copy of my AAA card, or some similar resolution. There are ways to make things right if you want to. If management is not offering to make it right and would rather keep my money instead of doing the decent thing, my conclusion is that they really don't want to discount the rooms that they want booked at the highest rate.

Management if you read this and have a change of heart and are so inclined, you may contact me to resolve. Thanks.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
jcochie, General Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
We are grateful that this guest chose the Alexander Inn; and that she intimates (in the beginning of her review) receiving 5-star service from us.

Unfortunately, this traveler is wrong on a couple of her points:
1) the AAA logo is prominently displayed on our website home page, and
2) we would not tell anyone that we do not have a AAA discount program.

We are proud of our relationship with AAA, and are pleased to inform our potential guests that we extend the discount upon verifying a valid membership card ar check-in.

Perhaps this traveler made an error in her notetaking during her "shop around" telephone calls?

Did this traveler check our listing on AAA's website or see our expanded listing and display ad in the AAA Tour Book?

Our procedure when taking a reservation by a self-identified AAA member is:

1) Book the reservation at the qualified rate,
2) Indicate "AAA at check-in" in the comment field, and
3) Inform the guest that a valid membership card is required at check-in.

Had this been done at the time of booking, we would have noticed the comment field note and asked the guest for her AAA membership card.

The onus is on the AAA member (not the hotel) to request and demonstrate valid membership. The guest has two opportunities to verify discounted rates: upon signing the registration at check-in and when signing for charges at check-out.

Taking a cursory look at other reviews by this traveler, we note a possible trend in focusing on price/rate/cost issues.

"Buying" a better-rated review for $55 is not the position we wish to take in this matter; nor do we feel it is the best ethical use of TripAdvisor, especially after a substantial lapse of time following departure.

We sincerely thank AAA and AARP members for their continued patronage.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We accidentally booked the wrong nights for this hotel, but they were very accommodating and made sure we had a room for the nights we actually needed. We also have three young children - nice to find a boutique, reasonably-priced city hotel that didn't mind a stroller and kids in the lobby. Nice breakfast buffet as well. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Washington
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The Alexander Inn has been well taken care of! The staff is very friendly and helpful, the room was very nice and modern. The breakfast (included) was just okay. If you drive a car there, they will give you discounted parking at a garage 2 blocks away for $15 a night, which worked out well for us. We also got a AAA discount for the room. It is within walking distance to the historical sights, although it was a bit farther than we expected. Parking to check-in and unload was a little tricky but doable. We were very satisfied with this gem of a hotel in the middle of Philadelphia and would definitely stay here again and recommend it! Great hotel for the price!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fishman620
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed for 2 nights with my son. A road trip before his going back to college. It was a lovely stay. The room on the 6th floor was very comfortable. A good size as well (601).Chris at the desk from 4 pm onward was so helpful and welcoming. I had little interactions with the staff in the morning but they were very nice as well. Great location for the usual tourist spots.
I have already spoken about this hotel to people already.!!

Room Tip: Higher for a view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family