“Great spot!”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We were looking for a not too expensive place from which to experience some of the wonderful restaurants and sites that Philadelphia has to offer...in particular the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. All the hotels recommended for the trip down from NYC were too expensive! Always an adventure with Tripadvisor, but were not disappointed. Everything in the other reviews is true! We got the cheapest queen, and although not large, extremely commodious. Wonderful spot!

1  Thank patrobnyc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 30 March 2008

This place is all it's cracked up to be. It's a charmingly decorated historic building in a beautiful downtown residential neighborhood just a few blocks from major cultural and civic attractions. The staff are extraordinarily friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable, and take meticulous care of the property; they all seem to enjoy running such a fine place. Our king-bed room had bay windows with a great view of the Philadelphia skyline - and all the windows (including the bathroom window) actually opened! Some other things we really appreciated: (1) We arrived rather early in the day. They watched our luggage while we went around town, and then let us check in early so we could be ready for a matinee concert at the Kimmel Center. (2) There are two free internet computers in the basement fitness room. (Don't you hate paying for internet access?) (3) There's a vending machine with cold Poland Spring water for $1 a bottle - not as good as free, but a lot better than the usual warm bottle for which you're charged $5 or more. All in all, an extraordinary experience and an excellent value. If they'd add hard boiled eggs to the breakfast buffet they'd be perfect.

2  Thank museumgoer
Reviewed 27 March 2008

My apartment in the city is not big enough for myself and two of my friends, so I heard about the Alexander Inn and booked 2 rooms.They have great rates. We were greated by a terrific staff and the general manager John who made us feel right at home. He gave us lots of good suggestions on where and what to do in the area of the hotel which is very hip. Our rooms were both comfortable and stylish we overlooked spruce street which was fun to people watch. In the morning there is a great breakfast and we had good conversations with the staff and other guests. I definately reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Joyboy519
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Great location in Center City Philly. Off street self-parking deck for $10 per night only a 3 minute walk away. Restaurants are plentiful within walking distance.
Be sure to reserve a deluxe room - they're more spacious for just a few dollars more. We had a corner deluxe on the 5th floor with a fabulous view of the skyline.
The continental breakfast is as good as you'll find in more expensive properties and the attendants kept everything well supplied.
Kudos to John and all the front desk staff. They know Philly and always knew the right answer to the tourists questions.
We'll stay there again!

4  Thank tjm911
Reviewed 21 March 2008

A friend and I were looking for a small hotel in Philadelphia. Definitely didn't want a large chain. The Alexander was a great find ... convenient, reasonably priced, and with all the amenities we needed. The hotel is beautifully and tastefully decorated. Our room was very comfortable and quiet, the bathroom was clean and modern, and we were pleased to find we had a fridge and in-room safe. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Home_and_away_too
Reviewed 16 March 2008

Everything about the Alexander Inn was wonderful! Staff, location, decor, breakfast, price.
I was traveling alone and stayed in a single (twin) room which was perfect for one.
I feel really lucky to have found the Alexander Inn on my first visit to Philadelphia. No more searching. This is the only place to stay in Philadelphia!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank dawnvOR
Reviewed 3 March 2008

I work for the fed govt and had to travel to Philly. At first I couldn't find anything at a decent hotel (Loew's, Doubletree, Marriott, etc) for the per diem I am allowed, and I was resigned to having to come out of pocket to stay somewhere safe and decent. Then I found this hotel on Trip Advisor. It was rated #3, but it should be rated #1! It's supposed to be a "boutique" hotel (translation - rooms no bigger than a closet), but my room was very spacious (I had King room on the 7th floor), and well-appointed with a good sized, immaculately-clean bathroom. The bed was firm but very comfy, and the service - from my first call to the hotel to make reservations to the time I checked out, was gracious and welcoming. Lots of places in the hotel to just sit and relax (the Great Room), and lots of places in the neighborhood to eat and/or relax over a cocktail. All this and it was within the govt per diem!

If I return to Philly - either for work or play - I will definitely stay at the Alexander Inn. It is a beautiful little gem!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business