“Great little hotel.”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel overall was great and the front desk person that cheeked us in was very helpful! Our room was really warm, but that is the only complaint I had! The parking garage is close and had a very good rate!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alexander Inn

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I want to begin this review with the most negative thing that happened--and I still liked this hotel. On the third night of my 4 night stay, water began pouring down from my bathroom ceiling at 5:30 a.m. Someone from the desk came immediately, mopped up the mess with towels. The hotel was fully booked that day, but they were able to move me to a much nicer room that evening. I do have to say that if this had happened the first night and they couldn't move me, I'd have looked for another hotel. But as things worked out, this wasn't too inconvenient. Very convenient to the Convention Center and Reading Terminal Market as well as other local attractions and restaurants. Very pleasant sitting/breakfast room (I brought a dinner back one evening from the Market and enjoyed it there). I had the single room, which was only slightly larger than a basic cruise ship cabin, but I was busy at my conference and hardly in the room except to sleep, so... The King I had on the last evening was much larger, better TV, less street noise (higher floor). Juice, coffee, fruit, and generic breakfast carbs for the included breakfast--not gourmet, but hey--unlimited free hot hot hot coffee. I'll probably go back when my conference returns to Philly in a few years, but I'll be careful not to book the room with the leak.

Room Tip: If you get the single with the patched bathroom ceiling, beware. Hopefully they'll get the plum...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank cathybirdlady
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Alexander Inn is in the Washington Square park section of Philly. There are lots of nice restaurants in the local area and it is easy getting to all city attractions. The hotel was decorated in an art deco style. Very courteous staff. My only issue is that the continental breakfast could have been slightly nicer. The Danish were really hard. Otherwise a great place to stay for very reasonable rates.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank maxinemadeline
Reviewed 21 January 2014

the lastest reviews stress the good of this hotel and i agree with each and all of them. so in this review i'll just touch on the reasons you might not want to stay here.

the beds and pillows are quite firm- no i'll just say it-they're hard. too hard for our taste, but fine for a one or two night stay.

the television(flat screen) was too small for the room size. we don't chose hotels based on their TV's and unless others do this won't be a problem.

the elevator is very slow, not really an issue but thought i mention it.

if we we're to spend a week in philly i think i would chose the independence-a boutique hotel just a few blocks away (due to the bedding). but for weekends we'll stay with the alexander.

Room Tip: higher is better- if you don't mind a slow elevator
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brindle1
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Great boutique hotel with great reception staff who could not have been more helpful. Traveled with daughter and son-in-law so I had a separate room which was a good size and relatively free of noise from the front street. Bathroom was of a suitable size. The usual breakfast of juices, cereals, muffins was more than ample although seating space was at a premium. This room is also great for an afternoon retreat with coffee, tea, fruit, pastries all available until late afternoon. Easy walkable distances to the city and its sights - Museum of Art though is rather a long hike. Would definitely stay there again if I ever return to Philadelphia.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lozfromoz98
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed over the New Year's holiday and found the hotel delightful. The staff was friendly and helpful and the accommodations were just what you'd expect of a boutique hotel. The morning breakfast is included and is plentiful. We will stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelingbeachbum00
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Having not being in the "City of brotherly love" for more then 25 years we decided to celebrate the arrival of the New Year in Philadelphia.We could not have found a better place to stay as far as location and the generous size of the room.On top ,the staff was more then gracious and helpful with reccomendations of restaurants and how to get around the city by public transportation.Add to all this a very healthy breakfast and more then reasonable room rate.
What else one could ask for.?

Room Tip: Choose higherfloors
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends