“So enjoyed my short stay, hope to go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“So enjoyed my short stay, hope to go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I had to go to Philadelphia to spend time with a person in the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. Most prices downtown were ridiculous. This was a great price and not that expensive (around $10) for a taxi. I was at the hospital most of the time but wished I could have hung out in my room a lot more.
First, a hint....there is a place on the right side of the one way street that is their place to park while registering and unloading luggage. The parking garage is about two blocks away and costs.
The lobby is comfortable and warm, and the eating area is filled with comfortable chairs.The breakfast had a lot of good options...bagels and pastries, cereal, including granola, hard boiled eggs, juice, yogurt. I was impressed to find both skim milk and low fat cream cheese. The server was very attentive.
My room was small, with a queen bed, but very well thought out. Everything was there, even an ironing board and iron in a tiny closet. I loved the design of tile work in the bathroom, which made it seem larger. The shower was quite large and good water pressure. My husband, who is very particular about his showers and this one would have made him quite happy!
I used the work out room, which had enough equipment for me.
Again, the staff was really friendly, and very helpful. They had to call for a taxi for me several times in the icy, rainy weather and offered me an umbrella.
To show you the attention to detail, the owner was riding the elevator with a repair man when I got on, because he thought the elevator was stopping just a half inch or less below the floors and someone might trip or fall due to the unevenness.
There was a lot of night life around, easy access to restaurants, but the street itself was quite quiet.
I want to return and just enjoy myself walking around the neighborhood!

Room Tip: Although I had requested a room with a twin bed, since I got in fairly late in the evening, they upg...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mbabe58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

we wondered whether we might have landed in a seedy area. But no--we were quite happy on our one-night stay. The receptionists at the desk were exceptionally cordial and helpful (and patient)--and sympathetic to the fact that we had wound up picking a dreadful time for a one-day visit. The snow closed most of the museums, and after a cold trudge through the town in the morning, we went back to the hotel to retrieve our bags and return home. They were very kind at the hotel, helping us get dried off a bit. The room was small but very comfortable; walls are a bit thin, but we slept well. We had not expected a complimentary breakfast--and to be truthful, the breakfast would not be worth paying for. Very reasonably priced hotel, nicely located, and the garage was a plus. For a longer stay, we might choose a place with slightly more spacious rooms--but this was perfect for us for our one-night snowy visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel overall was great and the front desk person that cheeked us in was very helpful! Our room was really warm, but that is the only complaint I had! The parking garage is close and had a very good rate!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bridgeport, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I want to begin this review with the most negative thing that happened--and I still liked this hotel. On the third night of my 4 night stay, water began pouring down from my bathroom ceiling at 5:30 a.m. Someone from the desk came immediately, mopped up the mess with towels. The hotel was fully booked that day, but they were able to move me to a much nicer room that evening. I do have to say that if this had happened the first night and they couldn't move me, I'd have looked for another hotel. But as things worked out, this wasn't too inconvenient. Very convenient to the Convention Center and Reading Terminal Market as well as other local attractions and restaurants. Very pleasant sitting/breakfast room (I brought a dinner back one evening from the Market and enjoyed it there). I had the single room, which was only slightly larger than a basic cruise ship cabin, but I was busy at my conference and hardly in the room except to sleep, so... The King I had on the last evening was much larger, better TV, less street noise (higher floor). Juice, coffee, fruit, and generic breakfast carbs for the included breakfast--not gourmet, but hey--unlimited free hot hot hot coffee. I'll probably go back when my conference returns to Philly in a few years, but I'll be careful not to book the room with the leak.

Room Tip: If you get the single with the patched bathroom ceiling, beware. Hopefully they'll get the plum...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cathybirdlady
Lynbrook, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Alexander Inn is in the Washington Square park section of Philly. There are lots of nice restaurants in the local area and it is easy getting to all city attractions. The hotel was decorated in an art deco style. Very courteous staff. My only issue is that the continental breakfast could have been slightly nicer. The Danish were really hard. Otherwise a great place to stay for very reasonable rates.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank maxinemadeline
york, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

the lastest reviews stress the good of this hotel and i agree with each and all of them. so in this review i'll just touch on the reasons you might not want to stay here.

the beds and pillows are quite firm- no i'll just say it-they're hard. too hard for our taste, but fine for a one or two night stay.

the television(flat screen) was too small for the room size. we don't chose hotels based on their TV's and unless others do this won't be a problem.

the elevator is very slow, not really an issue but thought i mention it.

if we we're to spend a week in philly i think i would chose the independence-a boutique hotel just a few blocks away (due to the bedding). but for weekends we'll stay with the alexander.

Room Tip: higher is better- if you don't mind a slow elevator
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brindle1
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Great boutique hotel with great reception staff who could not have been more helpful. Traveled with daughter and son-in-law so I had a separate room which was a good size and relatively free of noise from the front street. Bathroom was of a suitable size. The usual breakfast of juices, cereals, muffins was more than ample although seating space was at a premium. This room is also great for an afternoon retreat with coffee, tea, fruit, pastries all available until late afternoon. Easy walkable distances to the city and its sights - Museum of Art though is rather a long hike. Would definitely stay there again if I ever return to Philadelphia.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family