“A gem!”

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
“A gem!”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

The Alexander Inn is small, but beautifully appointed, conveniently located and staffed by truly hospitable souls. Though our stay was short, I would recommend it to friends who like to avoid cookie-cutter chain hotels. I chose the Inn because it was affordable, but I would return for the character of the place.

The rooms are small but the beds but comfy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julia F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Germany
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This small hotel in Philadelphia is a treat to find. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little bit on the small side but set up nicely. The bed is very comfortable and the neighborhood safe and quiet at night. Plus they offer a complimentary breakfast, that is more than adaquate.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellingmomde
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was really happy staying here. Courteous and helpful staff, Nice interior details in the lobby area and in the room I stayed in. Excellent location and value.

p.s. For extra coffee, etc., there's "Toast" diagonally across the intersection of 12th and Spruce.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Erik F
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We just returned from our second stay at Alexander Inn. The first time was last summer, and it was our first trip ever to Philly. We fell in love with the surrounding neighborhood and the hotel so we returned to take advantage of a discount promotion they had.

The room rates are great. We stayed both times in a deluxe queen room. It is spacious and has great windows to look out over the neighborhood. The only issue is that the wifi isn't very strong in the room. It is free, though, and I should not be working when on vacation anyways. They do have computers in the fitness area for people to use.

The location is my favorite thing about the hotel. We travel to Philly by train, so we didn't have a car. The main historical attractions are a short walk away. Cabs are easy to get out front when heading to the main museum area. It has a very local, non-touristy vibe which we want when traveling. Just exploring the streets and looking at the beautiful architecture is a good time. Make sure you walk the small side streets.

The neighborhood is full of restaurants offering several styles and price ranges. I do recommend looking into reservations for many of the hot spots. We haven't had a bad meal in the area yet.

For LGBT travelers, this is the place to stay. It is in the Gayborhood surrounded by many bars/clubs offering a variety of scenes.

We will definitely return to Alexander Inn soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bdfenwick
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Hotel is in a great location by the convention center and some of the best streets in Philly. Beds were a bit uncomfortable, but the room was fantastic. Service was okay yet I was only there for one night. Its price is out of this world.

Room Tip: Double twin bed room on fourth floor in corner was awesome and roomy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank doppenheimer
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I had to go to Philadelphia to spend time with a person in the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. Most prices downtown were ridiculous. This was a great price and not that expensive (around $10) for a taxi. I was at the hospital most of the time but wished I could have hung out in my room a lot more.
First, a hint....there is a place on the right side of the one way street that is their place to park while registering and unloading luggage. The parking garage is about two blocks away and costs.
The lobby is comfortable and warm, and the eating area is filled with comfortable chairs.The breakfast had a lot of good options...bagels and pastries, cereal, including granola, hard boiled eggs, juice, yogurt. I was impressed to find both skim milk and low fat cream cheese. The server was very attentive.
My room was small, with a queen bed, but very well thought out. Everything was there, even an ironing board and iron in a tiny closet. I loved the design of tile work in the bathroom, which made it seem larger. The shower was quite large and good water pressure. My husband, who is very particular about his showers and this one would have made him quite happy!
I used the work out room, which had enough equipment for me.
Again, the staff was really friendly, and very helpful. They had to call for a taxi for me several times in the icy, rainy weather and offered me an umbrella.
To show you the attention to detail, the owner was riding the elevator with a repair man when I got on, because he thought the elevator was stopping just a half inch or less below the floors and someone might trip or fall due to the unevenness.
There was a lot of night life around, easy access to restaurants, but the street itself was quite quiet.
I want to return and just enjoy myself walking around the neighborhood!

Room Tip: Although I had requested a room with a twin bed, since I got in fairly late in the evening, they upg...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mbabe58
New York
Reviewed 4 February 2014

we wondered whether we might have landed in a seedy area. But no--we were quite happy on our one-night stay. The receptionists at the desk were exceptionally cordial and helpful (and patient)--and sympathetic to the fact that we had wound up picking a dreadful time for a one-day visit. The snow closed most of the museums, and after a cold trudge through the town in the morning, we went back to the hotel to retrieve our bags and return home. They were very kind at the hotel, helping us get dried off a bit. The room was small but very comfortable; walls are a bit thin, but we slept well. We had not expected a complimentary breakfast--and to be truthful, the breakfast would not be worth paying for. Very reasonably priced hotel, nicely located, and the garage was a plus. For a longer stay, we might choose a place with slightly more spacious rooms--but this was perfect for us for our one-night snowy visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple