“A Hidden Jewel in a Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“A Hidden Jewel in a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I recently spent three nights at the Alexander inn with a friend for a "girl's get-away." The Alexander Inn turned out to be the perfect spot for us. Our room was fairly large with comfortably firm double beds, and a nice sitting area with a great view of the city. We were within walking distance to many attractions, shops and restaurants. Both the day and night staff were extremely helpful in providing us with all the information we needed to have the best travel experience in Philadelphia. Byron, the night desk attendant, was especially accommodating in assisting us with restaurant choices for evening meals.

The hotel featured a small, yet very adequate morning breakfast, as well as fresh fruit and pastries throughout the day. Newspapers and televisions were available in the breakfast room and there was a small fitness center and computer center in the basement for guest use (as well as ice and vending machines). The hotel was very clean and pleasantly decorated.
I would recommend the Alexander Inn to anyone needing lodging in Philadelphia. It's a great price in a great location.

Room Tip: The higher floors provide a great view of the city, especially at night with all the buildings light...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bearsfan51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at the Alexander Inn. Very good location and very nice employees. The breakfast wasn't spectacular, but good enough to start off the day. The only negative I can think of is that the AC is a little loud and can be annoying during the night. Regardless, very good value compared to nearby hotels in Philly!

1 Thank VanGian
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location for all the main sites. We had a king room and it was quiet, clean and stylish. The hotel has a wonderful lobby with a beautiful tiled fireplace. The great room off the lobby offers an included breakfast each morning that was very good; english muffins, bagels or toaster waffles, HB eggs, pastries, cereal, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juice. The front desk offered suggestions for a cocktail bar and lots of restaurants near by. A very safe area with many apartments and townhouses so lots of people out walking and enjoying the area. We walked everywhere with ease. Very nice and very well priced for the location. Compared to larger "Name-brand" hotels, this is cheaper and frankly nicer.

Somerville, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Ever have that feeling that you got lucky when choosing a place to stay? I felt that way about the Alexander Inn. It's located in a nice neighborhood within a few blocks of Broad Street, public transit and many great attractions. On one day, I walked to city hall (a spectacular piece of architecture) and realized that I was next to Reading Terminal Market. After visiting there, I realized that I could walk through Chinatown on my way to Constitution Hall, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell and other historic sites. From there, I strolled down to funky South Street and had a steak and cheese at Jim's Steaks (Hey! I was in Philly!). My single room at the inn was plenty big enough for one person. The bathroom was small, but not too small. I had a plumbing issue with the toilet that was resolved by the staff. My bed was comfortable and the free wifi worked fine. There was a closet with ample hangers and lots of draw space. My room was on a corner and I had lots of natural light coming through my windows which made for a nice ambience. The free breakfast won't win any raves, but it is certainly adequate and I took advantage of it on a couple of mornings. The building itself has a lot of nice architectural features. I often found myself admiring the woodwork, stained glass and artistic touches around the inn. Last and far from least, one of the biggest reasons why I will stay at this inn again is the staff. Pleasant and eager to help, I was very impressed with my interactions with the staff from the moment I checked in right through to my departure. On one occasion, I asked an evening desk clerk if he might have a cell phone adapter that he could lend me to charge my dying phone (I had left my adapter at home). He produced a box with an assortment of items, but none that would solve my issue. He asked me to wait while he went into another room and came back with the adapter. I was grateful impressed with the effort that he made to solve my problem. If I had one minor quibble, I found myself disappointed at the effort (or lack of) by the housekeeping staff in maintaining my room. It was not up to par with the high quality that I witnessed from the rest of the staff. To be clear, it wasn't a big issue. My room was clean, but I was disappointed in a couple of things that were overlooked. That being said, I still intend to make Alexander Inn my first choice of stay in Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank benthere
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights while visitng my son. Great location close to historic sights and in the theatre district. Walked everywhere and there are easy maps and street signs to follow
Enjoyed the murals on many nearby buildings
Walked to the Barnes museum and lived the cherry trees in full bloom along the way
Plenty of nearby restaurants coffee shops and the best gelato in Philly
The staff is kind friendly and very helpful
Great breakfast w/ plenty to choose fro
Highly recommend !

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank CatCalifornia
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Fantastic place to stay in Philly, within walking distance of all the main attractions (Liberty bell etc) and loads of great restaurant. Service was friendly and efficient, breakfast a real added bonus, plenty of fruit, yogurts, pastries, bagels etc. Far better to stay here than some soulless mega chain hotel.

North Attleboro, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights with our children (9 and 11 yrs). Beds were double and a bit smaller than we typically like, but the price of this hotel was great. It was clean and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The location was great! The continental breakfast was very good as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family