“Lovely Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Phoenix, Arizona
“Lovely Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Last month, in May, my husband and I took a trip to Philadelphia and stayed at the Alexander Inn near the historical area. The location, 12th Street and Spruce, is within walking distance to many major attractions. i.e. the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, Reading Terminal, the Academy of Music and many other sites. This boutique hotel is a lovely renovated historical building. They serve a very nice and adequte self-serve breakfast and they always have pastries and fruit available to guests. We also appreciated how clean and well-maintained it was. Public transportation is right on the corner and we were able to use it to get to the Italian Market for a great dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. The only downfall is that parking on the street anywhere around the hotel is nearly impossible. Parking is provided at a discounted rate in a parking garage that is a couple of blocks away. However, that being said, it was still a very nice place to stay. The staff is so wonderful. Everyone was helpful with suggestions and recommendations as to where to eat and what to see.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fl1217

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was charged a no show fee for a trip that I believed I had cancelled with Orbitz. Additionally, the confirmation from Orbitz indicated I would be charged a 7.6% tax for a cancel fee but
I was actually assessed a tax above 15% for the no show fee from the hotel.

My problem with the hotel is the slow response to my request for a full or partial refund of the no show fee. I first called the hotel on June 12 and was told the manager would call me back the following day. When I did not receive a call, I called the hotel on June 13 and was told the manager was on vacation. I received a call from the manager on June 17 who advised that he would look into the situation. I didn't hear from the manager on June 18 so I left a message on June 19. I didn't get a response from the message and left another message on June 20. I finally received a response from the manager on June 24 indicating the no part of the cancellation fee would be refunded. It's a mystery to me why this process took two weeks for a response from the manager.

This is my first negative review of any establishment. I would not recommend the hotel based on their handling of this situation.

5 Thank Gregory K
jcochie, General Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
This guest made his reservation through ORBITZ on November 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM.

The ORBITZ confirmation sent to the guest at that time reads, "Cancellation Policy: CANCELLATION MUST BE RECEIVED 1 DAY PRIOR TO ARRIVAL (1500 Hours) TO AVOID ONE NIGHT'S ROOM AND TAX CANCELLATION FEE."

The guest admittedly did not cancel, and as such, was charged a one night room and tax No Show fee.

The tax confirmed to the guest was 15.2%. The tax rate has since changed to 15.5%. We are not in control of government taxation.

I called this guest the day I returned from vacation. He admitted losing his temper with the desk staff. He also admitted that he did not cancel through ORBITZ or with the hotel directly. He offered that the hotel should remind their guests that they have upcoming reservations. I tried to explain that we are unable to do that since booking engines (ORBITZ) only provide us with guest name and credit card number. It is up to us to obtain additional contact information upon check in.

I told him I would like to have an opportunity to look into the issue. After investigating with the desk staff, e-mail trails, and ORBITZ confirmations and communications, I called the guest to explain that we would not offer a refund of his "No Show" fee.

The guest indicated he would file a credit card dispute (pending) and that he would spread bad reviews across the Internet if I did not refund the fee.

As we mature, we should come to the understanding that 'simply ignoring contracts made with others comes with some risk of consequence'.

We are sorry that we do not feel this guest has an issue with either ORBITZ or the Alexander Inn.
Ruislip
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Right in the heart of the City with a great location and very close to all attractions. You are inside the gay community which means you have very good restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel is quant but appeared slightly dated. The rooms were OK not big, but good enough for us. Great breakfast. You park in a garage nearby where we get a discount via the hotel. there is nowhere to park on the streets due to the parking meters, very worth the reduced cost. great and very friendly/helpful staff. We arrived on a Sunday being the last day of celebrations for the LGBT. It was manic that night. The following days it was calmer and more like a City that I was expecting. A very interesting City being the first capital of America.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are definitely better for quietness but by being one block from all the action it was qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Farmington, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Alexander Inn, while on a visit to see our Son, who had recently moved to Philadelphia. We were pleased from the moment we set foot in the door. The furnishings were beautiful and the Staff was extremely friendly and informative. Our room was very comfortable, the mattress just right and the room--spotless. There was a nice selection of food for breakfast and the coffee was delicious.We got up early to start our long journey home, only to find that our car battery had died. Even though it was 6:30 in the morning, the Manager immediately got on the phone and had an auto service taking care of our car within 30 minutes. The hotel is conveniently located close to restaurants, shopping and attractions. When we return for our next visit, we will definitely be staying here.

boston,ma.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We recently spent 3 nights there while attending a wedding. We had two rooms booked and we all agreed the place was very nice and the location was the best. Close enough to walk to the waterfront and the historic sights, and loaded with restaurants,cafes, and pubs. The Reading Terminal with all the food choices was less than a 10 minute walk. South street is a 5 minute walk. The rooms, although on the small side, are very clean and comfortable. The ac units worked perfectly,(it was hot that weekend!). Room prices are excellent too. There really is nothing negative to say about the hotel. Staff was very helpful and friendly and the breakfast spread more than enough to get us going each morning. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Philly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank ricka..
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We feel fortunate we stumbled upon this great small hotel in one of the nicest sections of Philadelphia. Small but very functional room, very helpful staff. Continental breakfast included was nice but not overly impressive.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed for two nights and were impressed! The hotel is located very centrally and within walking distance from many many restaurants, bars and shops. We came by car and the parking is about 2 blocks away - there is a parking lot outside the hotel where you can park for up to 2 hours, so we parked the car there, unloaded our luggage then drove to the car park. The car park is not part of the hotel, but they have a deal where if you stay at the Alexander you only pay $15 a night (much better than the $30+ normally for overnight). The rooms were a decent size and good bathroom. The aircon is ok, but not that cooling so ended up opening the windows instead. The only drawback is there should be somewhere to hang your towels in the bathroom. Other than that, they had handy guides for where to have lunch, good restaurants etc in the lobby. The breakfast is continental - bagels/toast etc, but good to start the morning. And nice touch if you stay more than one night they print name cards for you with the hotel address on them. Do stay - the location is great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple