“Shared a room with a mouse and not Mickey”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Shared a room with a mouse and not Mickey”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Only stayed 1 night but about 11 pm my partner was in the shower when I noticed on top of my suitcase looking at me was a mouse. It vanished as quick as it appeared but to where I don't know. I rang the front desk and informed them immediately but was told as the hotel was full there was nothing they could do about it and to mention it to the manager on checking out to see about a rate reduction. Needless to say we didn't sleep too good. On checking out we mentioned the little extra guest we had which the attendant was aware of but were still charged the full amount. Later we returned to pick up our bags and the little chap was running around the breakfast room having a ball. Pointed it out to the front desk once more as other guests had now noticed the visitor. It left us with the impression they know about it but there not going to do anything. The hotel is nice and the room was lovely (204) but wouldn't stay again after this experience and charged full rate for the privilege.

2 Thank Allan W
jcochie, General Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
First, we would like to thank this guest for having chosen the Alexander Inn for their stay in Philadelphia.

Providing public accommodations in a 100+ year old building in the center of a bustling city comes with its delights and its opportunities.

Providing a clean, safe, and well-maintained property is a top priority for us. We take pest control seriously. Our maintenance programs include preventive pest control and protocols to deal with any possible breeches which can be exacerbated by the likes of drilling, utility work, construction, and jack-hammering in the neighborhood streets. Routine inspections, keeping the property as clean as possible, and having frank conversations about the issues with our guests are our most efficient weapons against pests. We are confident that, with these protocols, we do not have any infestation issues.

We are sorry that this guest felt that we did not take them seriously; and sorry that we could not have remedied this situation more quickly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
West Calder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a nice hotel in a good area. The staff could not have been more helpful, the complimentary breakfast was lovely and the rooms were comfortable. This hotel was within walking distance to a lot of the attractions.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

What a little find! This hotel deserves its high ranking on Tripadvisor. Staff members were exceptional: highly organised, friendly, knowledgeable and pre-empted every possible query or request. The information re food outlets and things to do was spot on! Rooms are small but quaint and clean (nice towels). Breakfast included was more than adequate. Good location - walking distance to centre of town. Parking nearby was affordable and handy. Would definitely stay here again if in Philadelphia and wouldn't consider anywhere else. Great value. Thanks for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask the front desk questions - they have all the answers.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mary-Ellen E
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Last month, in May, my husband and I took a trip to Philadelphia and stayed at the Alexander Inn near the historical area. The location, 12th Street and Spruce, is within walking distance to many major attractions. i.e. the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, Reading Terminal, the Academy of Music and many other sites. This boutique hotel is a lovely renovated historical building. They serve a very nice and adequte self-serve breakfast and they always have pastries and fruit available to guests. We also appreciated how clean and well-maintained it was. Public transportation is right on the corner and we were able to use it to get to the Italian Market for a great dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. The only downfall is that parking on the street anywhere around the hotel is nearly impossible. Parking is provided at a discounted rate in a parking garage that is a couple of blocks away. However, that being said, it was still a very nice place to stay. The staff is so wonderful. Everyone was helpful with suggestions and recommendations as to where to eat and what to see.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fl1217
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was charged a no show fee for a trip that I believed I had cancelled with Orbitz. Additionally, the confirmation from Orbitz indicated I would be charged a 7.6% tax for a cancel fee but
I was actually assessed a tax above 15% for the no show fee from the hotel.

My problem with the hotel is the slow response to my request for a full or partial refund of the no show fee. I first called the hotel on June 12 and was told the manager would call me back the following day. When I did not receive a call, I called the hotel on June 13 and was told the manager was on vacation. I received a call from the manager on June 17 who advised that he would look into the situation. I didn't hear from the manager on June 18 so I left a message on June 19. I didn't get a response from the message and left another message on June 20. I finally received a response from the manager on June 24 indicating the no part of the cancellation fee would be refunded. It's a mystery to me why this process took two weeks for a response from the manager.

This is my first negative review of any establishment. I would not recommend the hotel based on their handling of this situation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Gregory K
jcochie, General Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
This guest made his reservation through ORBITZ on November 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM.

The ORBITZ confirmation sent to the guest at that time reads, "Cancellation Policy: CANCELLATION MUST BE RECEIVED 1 DAY PRIOR TO ARRIVAL (1500 Hours) TO AVOID ONE NIGHT'S ROOM AND TAX CANCELLATION FEE."

The guest admittedly did not cancel, and as such, was charged a one night room and tax No Show fee.

The tax confirmed to the guest was 15.2%. The tax rate has since changed to 15.5%. We are not in control of government taxation.

I called this guest the day I returned from vacation. He admitted losing his temper with the desk staff. He also admitted that he did not cancel through ORBITZ or with the hotel directly. He offered that the hotel should remind their guests that they have upcoming reservations. I tried to explain that we are unable to do that since booking engines (ORBITZ) only provide us with guest name and credit card number. It is up to us to obtain additional contact information upon check in.

I told him I would like to have an opportunity to look into the issue. After investigating with the desk staff, e-mail trails, and ORBITZ confirmations and communications, I called the guest to explain that we would not offer a refund of his "No Show" fee.

The guest indicated he would file a credit card dispute (pending) and that he would spread bad reviews across the Internet if I did not refund the fee.

As we mature, we should come to the understanding that 'simply ignoring contracts made with others comes with some risk of consequence'.

We are sorry that we do not feel this guest has an issue with either ORBITZ or the Alexander Inn.
Ruislip
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Right in the heart of the City with a great location and very close to all attractions. You are inside the gay community which means you have very good restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel is quant but appeared slightly dated. The rooms were OK not big, but good enough for us. Great breakfast. You park in a garage nearby where we get a discount via the hotel. there is nowhere to park on the streets due to the parking meters, very worth the reduced cost. great and very friendly/helpful staff. We arrived on a Sunday being the last day of celebrations for the LGBT. It was manic that night. The following days it was calmer and more like a City that I was expecting. A very interesting City being the first capital of America.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are definitely better for quietness but by being one block from all the action it was qu...
Farmington, Missouri
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Alexander Inn, while on a visit to see our Son, who had recently moved to Philadelphia. We were pleased from the moment we set foot in the door. The furnishings were beautiful and the Staff was extremely friendly and informative. Our room was very comfortable, the mattress just right and the room--spotless. There was a nice selection of food for breakfast and the coffee was delicious.We got up early to start our long journey home, only to find that our car battery had died. Even though it was 6:30 in the morning, the Manager immediately got on the phone and had an auto service taking care of our car within 30 minutes. The hotel is conveniently located close to restaurants, shopping and attractions. When we return for our next visit, we will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family