“An Oasis in a City Where Hotel Chains Dominate”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel is situated in the heart of a quiet, gay residential community but has a mixed clientele. It is a pleasant 12 minute walk from bustling Market Street (Metro: Market East), and within walking distance of the Greyhound/Peter Pan bus terminal. (This terminal is half a block from the lively Reading Terminal Market with its plethora of crowded food stands – well worth a visit -- and is a great place to get lunch to take on the bus).

The front desk staff (including the two proprietors) are welcoming, efficient, thoughtful, and helpful. At registration, guests are presented with a clever packet of business cards professionally printed with the guest’s name along with the address of the hotel in the event one forgets its exact location – a unique amenity. This boutique hotel is a gem in a city where the mammoth chain hotels rule!

My room, #508, was located at the end of the hall. It was spacious and bright, sporting two sizable windows that provided cross ventilation. The view of nearby rooftops provided a sense of openness along with a sliver of the Kimmel Center on Broad Street and a partial view of the Liberty Place tower. (I suggest requesting a room on the fifth floor or higher for a picturesque view).

The hotel web site describes the décor of their rooms as “reflecting a Deco style of the great cruise ships” – an aesthetic they successfully achieved. The windows had classic wooden-slat blinds with attractive curtains. The furniture had characteristic Art Deco elements. And one desk lamp had an outlet embedded into its base for easy access. A round mirror enhanced the already spacious room. The mattress was firm and very comfortable and a clock-radio sat on the bedside table. A sizable, flat-screen television was mounted to one corner – thankfully, it was not the centerpiece of such an attractive room. The room also had its own separate, guest controlled, air conditioner. A safe that was embedded in a wall at eye level was yet another amenity.

The bathroom was perfectly fine: it was not glitzy, but provided ample shelf space, was spotless, and had a window. I think it would benefit from improved lighting for shaving.

The hotel provides a generous assortment of breakfast items for their buffet which is included in the room charge. I observed one of the proprietors testing the hard-boiled eggs to assure they were properly cooked. Fruit is available 24/7! There are two computers available in the basement next to the fitness center as well as WiFi that is available in all rooms.

This was my fourth visit to this venue, and I look forward to my next stay!

Room Tip: A room on the 5th floor and above will be higher than neighboring rooftops.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard0304
Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here as part of our tour of the East Coast of the USA.

The hotel is well located in the Gay area of Philly. This isn't an issue even if you aren't gay, as its all very laid back and easy going.

The service was great at this hotel, the guy at the check in desk was friendly and helpful.

The room was a decent size with everything you need. Unfortunately the air conditioning unit sounds a little bit like you have a hairdryer on all night and isn't particularly efficient at keeping the room cool. This doesn't lend its self to a very good nights sleep.

The overall cleanliness of the room was good, however there was a used plaster in our room by the bed when we arrived and it was still there 2 days later when we left. Not a massive issue but not pleasant either.

Overall this is a nice hotel in a good location. It feels safe and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2014

When it came to choosing a place to stay while visiting schools with my son, there was no doubt where we would be staying. This was my fourth visit to the Alexander Inn and once again they made us feel right at home. When I mentioned in passing we were return customers the hotel clerk immediately gave us a discount in appreciation of our business. The rooms are spacious, clean and quiet while the breakfast more than satisfied our needs and gave us a good start to the day. The location is second to none for taking in the local landmarks and for this trip an easy walk to the Broad Street line and a quick ride to both Penn and Temple Universities. Whenever I visit Philadelphia, the Alexander Inn is my go to choice and makes me feel like I am home again as soon as I step through its doors.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The location of Alexander Inn is excellent, it is in walking distance to a variety of Philadelphia's best known restaurants, museums, nightclubs, etc. The staff was friendly, professional, and accommodating. The room was clean and overlooked 12th street. I would not say this is a boutique hotel (it is not high fashion or overpriced)… The Alexander Inn is modernized classic tailored for culture vultures looking for a great value.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Alexander Inn is simply the best! The location is safe and perfect, the staff are all helpful and nice. I arrived a couple of hours early and was told that my room is ready - bonus! I liked the breakfast and enjoyed having fruit snacks in the evening. The price can't be better, it's unbeatable! Next trip to Philly I won't bother searching for a hotel - Alexander Inn will be the one. Thanks staff!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dahlia M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location, lovely helpful staff, clean rooms, reasonable price so what more can you ask for? I would have liked a little renovation of rooms, carpets, bathrooms etc. Also "breakfast" is tiny selection of bananas and cereal. But worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 33map
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We love the Alexander Inn -- my family and I have stayed here on 2 occasions and have always been impressed by the comfort of the rooms and how well they are appointed; the generosity and quality of the continental breakfast; the centrality of the location; the price. In no other major city could you stay in one of the most charming neighborhoods in a well-appointed room for approx 150 a night.The staff is attentive and professional and parking is available at a reduced rate in a lot around the corner. The Alexander Inn, more than anything, reminds me of a family owned Paris hotel that we stayed in many years ago. It does not make a fetish of impersonal "luxury" the way so many corporate so-called boutique chains do; it does not have to work that hard. It is comfortable,charming, and independent (i.e, not a corporation -- which, for my family, matters)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family