“Beautiful view from the front rooms”
Review of The Windsor Suites

Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful view from the front rooms”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our view was City Hall, a beautiful building, we just couldn't stop looking at it! We came from touring New York to Philadelphia so it was like going from a shoe box to a mansion in room size! The room we had (2 double beds) was large, very large, lots of walk space between the beds and at the end of the beds. Large walk in cupboards too. The kitchen was an absolute bonus, nice to be able to cook a bit of breakfast to start the day especially after going 8 days without this option. We only had one problem and that was when they lost power in the early hours of the morning, don't know whose fault it was but it was a bit of a problem as the air con went out but it didn't last too long fortunately. Valet parking next door was brilliant, so super easy and the staff there were very friendly. There is a pub/restaurant below the hotel which we went to for dinner twice and had great meals. Hubby went there for a night cap most nights and also found it to be a good experience. Yes, I would return to the Windsor Suites, it's an easy walk to the Franklin museum, the Eastern State Penitentiary, the city centre and the city market.

Room Tip: A room with a view at the front of the hotel is great
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Louby76,
We are so pleased you had a great stay with us recently, and that you have chosen to share your comments with the Tripadvisor community. Our spacious rooms and fully equipped kitchens, as well as our convenient location always combine to make us an appealing hotel choice. We are thrilled when our guests are able to take advantage of all that we have to offer.
Thank you again for staying with us.
The Windsor Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We booked this hotel as a last resort and boy was my initial instinct not to stay there correct! Admittedly the room was clean and adequate (no hangers in the closet but that was quickly remedied). The real problem was that at 7 :30 on Sunday morning the fire alarm went off, woke us up from sound sleep and we were left hanging without poor instructions as to what to do. We were told to wait in our room, which is what we did even though the fire instructions on the door say go to the fire stairwell and evacuate. We waited and waited and waited. Meanwhile various alarms intermittently went off but no one told us anything else to do. Finally after about 1 hours and countless alarms, I called the front desk and was told by the perky receptionist that it was a false alarm. Why weren't we contacted? While relieved that there was no fire or other danger, I think it is outrageous that we were not better informed. We felt abandoned on the 16th floor. If there had been a real siuation someone (us) might have been hurt. I think a hotel has an obligation to take care of guests more responsibly than this one. You shouldn't have to sacrifce your safety when you stay in a hotel.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gaysy700
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Gaysy700,
Thank you for your frank comments with regards your recent stay with us. Please be assured that our number one priority is the comfort and safety of our guests. We sincerely regret the disturbance created by the fire alarm, which reacted to a perceived threat. While we were relieved that there was not an actual fire, we have taken note of your concerns, and we are actively working on improving our communications to better update and reassure all our guests.
Please accept our apologies that your stay did not go as expected. We thank you for staying with us, and for your feedback.
Best regards,
Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We arrived at the Windsor at around 10pm after a delayed flight. The man working at the desk at night of the January 4th did not seem hospitable. Maybe it was his demeanor but I didn't think anything of it being a born and raised Philadelphian. We booked our room through PriceLine at a pretty decent rate so I handed the man my ID and credit card and he went typing away at his keyboard. He asked if I had the reservation in a paper form or in my email. I said yes, do we need it? Never in my check-in process unless going to an all-inclusive resort or local bed and breakfast did I need to provide documentation about my stay. After all, everything we needed was right on his computer including my full name, address, and credit card. After I finally brought out my phone to look for the reservation he said don't worry about it, I will just call you if we have an issue, whats your cell phone number? I gave the man my cell phone number but informed him it is 10pm at night and I would rather not be called until 9am the next day.

We went up to the room which was actually pretty nice. Balcony with a full size kitchen. There was plenty of closet space given that this location could be used for extended stays. The bathroom was also clean and up to date. The TV remote didn't work but that's no big deal since I was shortly going to head off to bed.

At around 6:30am-7am the fire alarm went off and the recorded voice informed us that the fire alarm went off but please stay in our rooms. I understand things like this happen and I would rather be safe than sorry so I get on my pants and jacket and prepare to head down if it comes down to it. Around 7:30am there was no more alarms. Were we okay to stay here or did I miss a memo? I feel like an "all clear" on the intercom to all rooms would have been the way to go and put me back into comfort. As I walked to the hotel room door I noticed a paper on the ground. It was a bill for $162 and some change. I really did not understand why I was being charged this amount since I paid in full on PriceLine. At this point between the check in, the alarm miscommunication and this bill I headed down to the lobby where the front desk clerk wasn't sure why this was charged but he would let his supervisor know but he saw that I paid on PriceLine. This man was very helpful out of all staff.

I checked out shortly after and headed to another hotel nearby that would let me check-in early. I would only return to this place if I needed an extended stay or all other hotels were sold out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nick S
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Nick S,
Thank you for staying with us recently, and for sharing your comments. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, and that your stay did not go as expected.
We have reviewed your concerns, and discovered that at the time of check-in, we had not yet received from your booking source the complete information needed to process your reservation. This resulted in our Front Desk agent asking for additional information from you, so that we could follow up with your booking agency. This was not resolved in a timely manner, and unfortunately our automated system generated the bill which you received. Again, we apologize for that complication, as our aim is to make your stay as seamless and comfortable as possible.
We have noted your comments about the fire alarm, and have forwarded them to our Engineering Department and the fire alarm company to improve our notifications, thus assuring the comfort and confidence of our guests.
We are happy to note that you found our guest room comfortable, and suitable for an extended stay.
Nick, the management and staff of The Windsor Suites take all our guests’ feedback to heart. We use the reviews, both positive and negative, as tools to help us improve our service. We thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention, and assure you that we will be addressing each one.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Please feel free to contact us directly for assistance with making future reservations.
Thank you for staying with us.
Regards,
hershey
Reviewed 31 December 2013

What started out as a 4 night stay resulted in a 6 night delight. We happily got 2 extra days to enjoy the hospitality of this uncommonly friendly staff, and helpful hints. Where the best delivery Pizza came from, hailing us cab's in seconds etc. The hotels location was fantastic. The attached Irish bar was cozy with good food. The Asian restaurant was also a plus. We will stay here again, when in PHL.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. We liked the 8th floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Pamela Y,
We are thrilled to read your great comments about your time with us recently, and that you got to spend an extra two days to enjoy our hospitality. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for sharing your feedback. We hope you'll return soon.
Best regards,
Reviewed 20 December 2013

At first I was a lil skeptical for going to philly, but the Windsor suites changed that all for me. Me and my wife went for the Made in America festival, and she LOVED it. The hotel was amazing, the location was amazing. Right across from us was a park and your right in the heart of the city. The room was clean, spacious, huge closet, decent bathroom, and the kitchen was convenient. Due to the concert and our location we got a chance to see a lot of celebrities walking in the street which made our stay even better. This will be a yearly visit for us, hands down.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Serge C
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Serge C,
We are so happy you decided to stay with us for the Made in America concert. Our location on the Ben Franklin Parkway is the perfect base for such an event, so please make sure you book early if you plan to return next year, as we expect to be fully booked again. Do call us directly for the best rates.
Thank you again for choosing us, and for your review.
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Very friendly staff. Great location.room sizes awesome. Closet was bigger than some hotel rooms. Dirty towel on the back of the door. Irish pub attached was lousy. Breakfast voucher not a great deal Have to get menu items under 12 bucks and the most expensive was 14 bucks. For $400 bucks a night plus 30 for parking you'd think the 2 bucks wouldn't matter. Foods not that good any way. I'd look around for a better deal next time.

• Stayed December 2013
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Davica,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies that your stay did not go as planned. We do take all comments seriously, and have passed them on to the management of the restaurant as well as our Housekeeping Manager so that this does not recur.
Please note that we are always offering special deals and promotions on our website which are always attractive to deal seakers like yourself, especially on nights when there is high demand in the city.
Thank you again for choosing us. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you that we know how to get it right.
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during Thanksgiving Weekend. The hotel is located near the Art Museum, Rodin Museum, Franklin Institute and is within walking distance to City Hall, Reading Terminal Market, and some good restaurants. The staff was extremely friendly--this goes for all of the hotel staff and even the parking garage attendants in the attached parking deck. We had a one bedroom suite; the room was very large and had a full kitchen. This hotel would be excellent for multi-night stays. If we were staying in this part of Philly again, we'd stay here. The only down side for some is that this building also serves as an apartment building with the apartments on the upper floors; this didn't provide any problems for us, but you should be aware of that.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Andy5573,
We are always pleased when our guests leave us happy, and it seems that you are one of those guests. Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community, and highlighting how suitable we are for multi-night stays. Our spacious studio and one bedroom suites offer great living and work spaces as well as our fully equipped kitchens, and these make for comfortable extended stay options.
Thank you also for recognizing our staff for their service. It's always exciting to share great comments like this with them. We hope you'll return to stay with us again soon. Thank you for choosing us!
Kind regards,