“Ritz Carlton consistency”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times and did have the pleasure in staying in the Presidential Suite once.

Pros: Great lobby, nice quiet rooms, great amenities, great location

Cons: the club floor is totally sub-par for RC. One of the worst I've been to. Havng to pay for the Wifi is just dumb. It's become pretty standard for all hotels to offer free Wifi now.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,712)

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The beginning was not as expected - I walk up with my small one-night bag and went in while several staff stood on the steps talking together - no attempt to open the door. Strange for the Ritz...

But, then it all switched:
- Lobby was beautiful - classic but modernized just enough
- Check-in was very professional and helpful
- I am Marriott preferred and got an upgrade to a suite without asking - very nice
- I got a call 5 minutes after I arrived asking if all was OK with the room - very nice
- The desk clerk and concierge were friendly to me as I left 10 minutes later for meetings
- The doormen (two of them) never again did not open doors everytime I came through them, so I assume the first time there must have been something that required their undivided attention

My room was expensive, but I was at a conference and the others hotels were full. If I could afford it again, I would stay here.

Also, another reviewer is correct, there are a few steps (4-5?) to get from the desk to the elevators. No way around them.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a view of City Hall
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This Ritz is very nice and the lobby is very good. Some of the concierges were better than others. The rooms were nice and clean. The location is very good. The one annoying thing was the silly wifi charge..... Just increase room prices by $2 a day and offer free wifi

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The Philadelphia RC has a very impressive lobby. I was fully able to enjoy it, as my room was not ready as of 4:30 pm (4:30PM!) on the day of my arrival. Indeed, I admired the lobby as I waited until 5:30 pm for my room. There is no easy way to get from the lobby to the room elevators without descending steps. This was an inconvenience with luggage. I don't usually carry my own luggage at a Ritz Carlton, but the Bell staff was nowhere to be found when my cab pulled up.

I stayed in Room 1401, which was a nice one bedroom suite, but which appeared to be far short of the advertised 1000 square feet. More importantly, the room was relatively noisy, with rolling noises coming from the floor above well into the night.

I ate a breakfast and lunch at the Eric Rippert managed restaurant. There was nothing special about the breakfast, although the sausage, while very tasty, was formed into an unappealing shape (use your imagination here). The side salad at lunch was not dressed at all, and the entire lunch was over salted.

On checkout day, I needed late (2 pm) checkout. This was initially refused, and it was only after I complained about the unfairness of my room not being ready until 5 that late checkout was begrudgingly granted.

I would not stay at this property again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank dsweet
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Gorgeous hotel with views of the square. I state here when I ran the Phikadelphia Marathon and got a great rate z I love the hotel bar. They also set up a great continental breakfast for runners. If you pay for the bath butler to draw you a bath you will NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I've stayed at this property more than a half dozen times for business and most recently this past weekend for a cultural visit. Like most Ritz Carlton's, the hotel staff is fabulous. Friendly, helpful and know how to resolve problems if they occur. The building is an amazing venue. Make sure to spend a bit of time at the bar. Get a north facing room, high floor room for an great view of city hall. All-in-all, really nice and a good location as well.

Room Tip: High floor, north facing
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Checked into the Ritz Carlton, in town to catch a Phillies game with some friends. I reserved 2 rooms with Ritz Reward points. We were given two superior double/double rooms. The awesomeness of the Ritz Lobby is something that needs to be seen, giant stone pillars, the remnence of the bank that the building used to be. Our rooms looked out at the town hall and every thing was great. There were five of us and our front desk guy was happy to bring up a roll away and set it up in one of the rooms. Both were well stocked, minibars stocked, extra towels (as requested). The bar in the lobby was fantastic and all the staff really did everything they could to help.

when i arrived to check in the young man at the front desk (Ron, Ray), noticed that i was in a little distress. He inquired, and i expressed my nasty headache. then i asked if their was a sundries shop at the hotel, that i needed some excedrin. He said there was no shop, simply a sundries closet and it was out of excedrin. Then, he did something small that makes the Ritz Carlton, the Ritz Carlton. He sent someone to the local drugstore to pick me up some excedrin and delivered it to my room.

It is the little things that makes me pick the Ritz Carlton, time and time again.

I did not appreciate that the HVAC in the room was a bit dysfunctional (seemed to push out cold air and hot air hour to hour) or that the cordless phones didn't work. It is an old property, i don;t know its history, but it is safe to say one of the older buildings we have in this country so i can certainly let some things slide. It should be noted that these HVAC and electronic problems were only in one room, the other room was similar, and exceptional in every way.

What I found ridiculous was a $10 charge to use wifi in the room. I mean come on? can we jump over this already. It is the single most important amenity to a traveler and it is virtually free to provide, in fact most cheezy hotels have it. The Ritz not offering free wifi, is like McDonald's charging for Ketchup.

I will most certainly stay in this property again, it was above what i expected and many things about the property were spectacular. It, however, was the people that were working, from the extremely attentive, very young man working the front desk, to the simply stunning hostess that asked several times, without ever bothering, if we needed anything or any help with our evening plans.

Great Friday night at the Ritz, thanks for having us.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Much nicer view of the city. Club is worth the upgrade. Capital Grille...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends