“Great location”

Ranked #24 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Berlin, New Jersey
“Great location”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The Ritz is a great hotel in a great location. My girlfriend and I were in the city for the night and made plans to stay in the city even though we live only 30 minutes away. We both know the city very well and we were very surprised to find that the Ritz was priced very close to many other lesser quality hotels.

The hotel is in the heart of the city. It is very clean and all of the staff was great. The bed was very comfortable and it also had a nice bathroom. They also give you a glass of champagne upon arrival which was a nice touch although I passed since I do not like champagne. My GF did say that it was good.

There is some facade work going on outside but we checked in on a Friday night and then checked out on Saturday so I cannot comment on any noise that those construction activities may cause.

Room Tip: Get a upper flloor room with a view of city hall.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed on a Friday and Saturday night for combination business and pleasure. As a Marriott member I usually stay at the Courtyard in Center City just next to City Hall. This time, though, the price for the Courtyard was higher than the Ritz (go figure, the price for the Ritz was $237 per night). Anyway, my wife and I decided to stay at the Ritz; here are my thoughts

Location: Very good. Within 10 - 15 minurte walking distance of Rittenhouse Square, maybe a little longer to the Historic District and the Museum of Art. Lots of good restaurant choices in the area. Even though it is on very busy Broad Street (and my room fronted on it) I didn't get a lot of noise.

Check in and Lobby: Got there at 10 am. Lots of people to help with bags. No line at the reception desk. Asked for and was given an upgrade to a junior suite. Room was not ready but that was not unexpected given the hour. I had business to do and my wife went shopping. Room ready at 1 pm so that was fine. The lobby is pretty spectacular but my view is that I don't sleep in the lobby so these vast spaces don't make a big impression on me. And for my taste the lobby and lobby bar are a little sterile.

Room: Elevators to the room on the 10th floor were not very quick but no big deal. The room (1005) was pleasant but dated I thought. Walking in the door was a small hall with the bedroom on the left, the sitting room on the right and the bathroom in the middle (kind of a funny arrangement I thought). It was a corner suite and the views through the three large windows in the bedroom, one in the sitting room and one in the bathroom were very good despite only being on the 10th floor. Nice views of City Hall and down Broad Street. The bedroom was of a good size but only had a Queen bed. The desk was in the bedroom. Lighting was good. Lots of plugs for Iphones etc. Mattress good if a little softer than I am used to seeing in Marriotts. Furnishings could use some updating. Didn't seem to me to be of Ritz quality. Bathroom was small with one vanity and one mirror. Could not be used by two people to get ready. Shower stall was OK but wish the water pressure was a little stronger. Big soaking tub which was a nice touch. Loved having a big window in front of the tub. Made for a very relaxing bath. Toilet had a separate door which was another good touch. Very little room to put your vanities, however. Should be more shelf space. Sitting room furniture again looked pretty tired and a couple of stains on the carpet (although not that noticeable). Had to turn the TV on manually and then use the remote.Typical LG TV in both the bedroom and the sitting room. Not sure of the size but my impression is that they should have been larger. One closet was not large but adequate for me and my wife. The iron was broken and when I called housekeeping they came up immediately with a replacement. Also, when my wife twisted her ankle on a sidewalk they were very good in keeping us stocked with ice in plastic bags so she could use it on her ankle.

Service: As noted above, all service people I encountered were quick and friendly. Turn down service good. No issues at all with service.

Exercise room: Fine, about 8 or 9 pieces of equipment (Bikes, stairmasters etc). Good selection of weights. Would have liked a window.

Restaurant: Only had breakfast on Saturday. Typical overpriced stuff (e.g. $12 for a small bowl of oatmeal -- good oatmeal though). Still, service good and my companions were happy with their meals.

Checkout: Easy. Car was brought around promptly ($49 a night valet). Bellmen immediately available to help with bags.

In general, the hotel was fine for the price point I paid. Didn't strike me as good as other Ritzs at which I have stayed. The sparkling service pushed this to a Very Good review. Other aspects I thought were Average.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gate75
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Spent a long weekend Putting On The Ritz this last August and what a wonderful time it was. I have staid at many high end hotels all over the world and the Philly Ritz is one of the best for many reasons. 1. When I pulled up to the hotel, I was greeted with a very friendly hello & welcome by the car hop, bell hop and the doorman. Each one of these gentlemen were just that "gentlemen." who made me feel welcomed to their "home". 2. The front desk people were 1st class with a big smile and I felt a sincere welcome. The reservation was waiting and my special requests were met with ease and style. 3. In a word, the lobby & hotel bar matched my expectations. Marble walls, marble floors, stylish paintings with elegant leather chairs & couches.with glass & marble tables. The place just rocked! 4. The king suite room was absolutely elegant. It was clean and smelled fresh well beyond even my expectations. 5. I only had breakfast @ the hotel, but I enjoyed it very much. The menu was kind of short but the quality is excellent. The service is 1st class. Attentive, but not intrusive. The prices are high but it is the Ritz and downtown Philly. 6. Sunday Morning Brunch is above a beyond most hotel brunches. The selections run from a full breakfast selection, fresh fruits,bake goods, omelets etc to fresh from the oven roast beef! You may say so what! My point is the quality of the food and the service. it is above and beyond the norm. To me well worth the price.

If you have a chance to visit downtown Philadelphia, you will be smart to stay @ the Ritz Carlton. There are plenty of weekend page deals that make the stay affordable. You can take the extra money and spend it on the exciting night life on South Street or on The Art Museum or any number of other place!!! Go for the history, the food and the fun of the city but when it is time to call it a night, why night stay where you feel like you are guest in a someones home and not a hotel.

Room Tip: Had a king suite, so I can not comment on the size of other rooms. But I will say it was a bit of a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Grimbergen, Belgium
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed here for a weekend after my business trip in the greater Philadelphia area, as I wanted to do things downtown Philly. This being said, I went looking for a hotel on booking.com but due to a convention, almost all hotel were booked out and downtown only 4, including Ritz Carlton, were available.
The location is great, because you are opposite city hall, a few minutes away from all downtown shopping, one street away from Macy's, there is good dining and bars at walking distance, and the tourist attractions are not further than 15 minutes walking. So in all, perfect location. The hotel is also walking distance from Suburban station, which takes you every 30 minutes directly by train to the airport at 6.5USD or 8USD coming from the airport. If you are travelling alone, it saves you 30 dollars compared to a taxi.

Arriving at the hotel: well the building - an old bank - is magnificent. The lobby is just overwhelming. The lobby is very nicely decorated, modern design, trendy and up to date. HOWEVER, this is not the case for the rest of the hotel. Rooms are outdated.

Check in: TERRIBLE. I arrived with a huge suitcase, my laptop case and another bag. NO HELP at atll from the bell boy, so had to carry everything myself up the steps at the hotel entrance. This reminds me... the wheelchair access is on the other side of the hotel but entering, there are steps as well, so actually, this is not really wheelchair accessible at all.
The check in desk is very small and tucked away, there were 3 people standing behind the desk, 2 were actually helping people and the 3rd one was just standing there. I had to wait almost 30 minutes before it was my turn. The check in process itself went smoothly, but very limited explanations on the hotel and services, and again no help offered for the luggage. I am certainly not used to that for a 5* hotel. Sometimes, when people get irritated from waiting at check-in, the supervisor walking around in the lobby sends someone with some glasses of champagne. I noticed this when I was queing for a new room key after I locked myself out of the room. I think they do really try to give good service, and the champagne to soothe the waiting is a great idea, but does not solve the problem of the front desk being to small.

Going up to the rooms was a nice experience, as I shared the elevator with someone from the hotel staff and they show interest and wish you a great stay.

The hallways with their thick carpets make it difficult to roll your suitcase to the room.

The room itself. I had room 1121 and that is a corner room so very bright, which I like. The room size was nice, but I was very underimpressed with the room, as furniture and decoration does not look clean nor fresh. Rooms are outdated. The bathroom looked fine, with seperate toilet, large shower, nice marble sink area. The toiletries offered are very good quality, but, normally in a 5* hotel they give you more than just body wash and shampoo, a shower cap and body lotion and mouth wash. No cotton swaps, no toothbrush nor shaving kit... (just details of course, but normally this is what you get in a hotel of this category). The bathrobe was in need of replacement. There was a bathrobe but no slippers (although maybe you don't really need slippers because it's all carpeted).
They have a turndown service, as they should for a 5*, and they put complimentary bottles of water and chocolates both during cleaning and turndown service. Very nice.
The bed quality is very good, I had a good sleep, but the rooms are not sound proof and everything shakes whan some of your neighbours slam their doors.

I enjoyed my stay in the Ritz Carlton overall, but it was not worth the money I paid for. However, as most of Philadelphia was booked out, the rate I paid, was probably higher than the normal rate, so I cannot really judge on that, to be quite honest.

Check-out: the express check out is fine.

Positiv note: concierge service was really great, friendly and very helpful!

The free wifi was working very well, good speed, no login needed, which is very nice.

They have a small gym and a spa. I have used the gym, everything was in good working order, so no complaints. I did not check out the spa, as I thought this was too expensive and had read some really bad reviews on the spa.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Location, location, location. Oh, service, service, service. My wife and I stayed here and visited the Barnes Collection Museum and both experiences were beyond excellent. This property as hotels go is truly unique, I understand it was originally a bank and the lobby is really breathtaking! The room was perfect and we could not have asked for more, if ever a Ritz Carlton was worth the fare this is the one!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Shamong, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Ritz Carlton is a name associated with excellence in the hotel industry. The Philadelphia hotel doesn't disappoint. This Ritz Carlton is in the middle of an old city. The rooms are not particularly spacious, as at some other locations, but they are lovely. Just don't expect a Ritz Carlton room such as those in a resort. The rooms are immaculate and they have the best beds, pillows of any hotel that I've ever been in. The staff is typically excellent of Ritz Carlton. The location is central, right next to City Hall. Access to shopping at Macy (the former, famous John Wanamaker Store) is very close. We ate in the hotel and had room service for breakfast. The food was very good. We walked down Broad Street to see a play at the renowed Academy of Music, which has been refurbished, and is an elegant & beautiful venue. The acoustics in the Academy of Music are superb & world renowned. Enjoy the Ritz Carlton-Philadelphia! We did!.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room with a view of William Penn who stands atop City Hall. The children enjoyed...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Pennington, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our anniversary and had a great time. Everything is first class and the staff is the best. The beds are so comfy and the rooms are spotless. We had the club lounge as part of our package and it was a great spot to relax before heading out.

Stayed October 2013