“Super Girls Weekend”

Ranked #21 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
“Super Girls Weekend”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

When we arrived service was top notch.. Check-in was very efficient,loved smore's in afternoon.... room was old and small.. no outlet behind the bed.. bathroom has been updated, had breakfast at restaurant in am.
.very
spotty service at breakfast : had to ask fot coffee several times. Would have complained but was in my big group

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed there for one night over the weekend on the 26th floor overlooking the City Hall. Positive: 1. Service was impeccable, 2. Room maintenance and condition were spotless, 3. Location in the center of Philly was hard to beat, 4. Architecture in the main lobby (mix of Greek revival and modern interior decorations) was top notch. (I would venture to say spectacular for a traditional style hotel). Neutral: 1. One restaurant at the property with so-so choices. We were too tired by the time we got in to go outside. The food is OK but you can get better experience for less if you go outside. Negative: Restrooms in the lobby are in desperate need of updating. Overall: Pleasant experience with no negative surprises.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the City Hall. The higher the better.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I was really disappointed by my stay at this hotel. I have attended events at the Ritz-Carlton in FL so I was looking forward to my stay at the Ritz in Philly. Based on the absolutely beautiful and luxurious facilities I'd experienced while attending events in FL, I had such high expectations for this hotel. Boy, was I disappointed. I stayed in a standard room, and it was not luxurious at all. In fact, I have stayed at rooms in 3 star hotels that have impressed me more than my room at the Ritz.

The room I had was quite normal and nothing special at all. It was even kind of small. The bed was totally uncomfortable. They have topped the beds with something that they should remove immediately. The bathroom was nice, but that's about it. Unfortunately, the bathroom didn't even have a bathtub. The room service was awful- I literally couldn't eat the food I ordered. I had eaten at the restaurant earlier, and the food was quite good, so I don't know why the food was so nasty.

The service at the hotel was spotty. At times, the staff was nice; at times they weren't. I really appreciate the fact that a receptionist there helped me take public transportation so that I wouldn't be late for a meeting. It had snowed and no taxi would come out, but the buses were running. He helped me catch the bus, and I made it to my meeting on time. I was so thankful for his help.

Overall, I have to say that this hotel is overrated. I have stayed at better hotels, and I don't understand the hype surrounding the Ritz.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am excited to let you know that we have a fantastic up coming renovation. As General Manager your feedback is critical for me in ensuring that we deliver outstanding service to all our guests. If your time permits, I would love an opportunity to speak with you. Please reach me at 215-523-8242.
Have a great day
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Even if you don't stay at the Ritz, be sure to stop by for a drink & appetizers at the handsome lobby bar in a former grand bank building & a good sense of the splendors of Philadelphia along the Avenue of the Arts around 1900. Group functions are accommodated & work nicely here with plenty of space for socializing among the round high tables & comfortable couches.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel overall is very nice but could use some updates. First, the "lobby" is as nice or nicer than any other hotel you will ever see. It is downright stunning in a good way.

The bell staff and concierges are excellent. Had interactions with several over the visit and each of them were great.

Our experience with the front desk staff was mixed. The gentlemen who checked us in seemed put off by the fact that we wanted the best room we could get. Mid stay I worked with a woman at the front desk that was great though.

Our room was big, clean, and very nice. However we were a bit surprised at a few things in the room. Examples include pillow cases with a couple of holes and a towel that was fringed on the ends.

Oddly, after turn down service each evening the bed was turned down and the toiletries were renewed, however the used towels weren't replaced nor were used glasses removed from the room.

The staff in the club lounge was the biggest disappointment. We encountered two different hosts and both were not what we would expect at a hotel of this quality. When we stepped off the elevator both times we visited the lounge the women approached us and asked for our names and room number and did it in a manner that seemed like we were trespassing. Very odd. During one of our two visits to the lounge, we were the only ones in the lounge on a Saturday morning. After the inquisition by the hostess, we were cleared to proceed into the lounge itself. There was a table that was used by a prior guest that sat in that state for at least 30 minutes while we sat at another table. The hostess remained at her desk which seemed very odd when there was a table that needed to be cleaned off.

Bottom line is this is an absolutely beautiful property and has a level of history and beauty that is not found in many new hotels. I hope that ritz Carlton spends the money and effort to update it and also update the training of the staff to get it back to 5-star level.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frogbog
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Frogbog, thank you for providing a detailed response as it is only through feedback that we are able to improve upon or service commitment to our guests. We are committed to providing the finest legendary service and facilities for our guest and I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments. I am happy to inform you that we are planning an upcoming renovation, which I am very excited about. I hope to see you back soon and would welcome an opportunity to speak with you personally. You did an outstanding job describing how breathtaking our lobby space is and I am always in awe every day as I walk in this historical building. So much history and refined detail that cannot be duplicated. I look forward to the chance to speak with you if you desire. Please feel free to reach me at 215-523-8242. Have a wonderful day!
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight at the ritz Carlton. Our room was very spacious - we were in a supreme room and it was huge. The lounge at the entrance was buzzing and seemed very nice (we did not eat in the hotel). The big drawback was the lack of soundproofing between rooms - we could hear the conversations in the hallway and the adjoining rooms - something that I do not expect at the RC. Additionally, the temperature in the room also fluctuated as at night sometimes it was really hot and then we would get cold. Location was good - near the independence hall, etc.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pkumar26
Thank you for your review, Pkumar26. I know firsthand that traveling with a family can sometimes be a stressful endeavor, and if our Ladies and Gentlemen are able to provide service that would lessen some of the stress, then we are headed in the right direction. I am pleased to know that your room was comfortable and spacious and that our location is prime for exploring history and living the arts while in Philadelphia. We hope you will return again soon, and when you do, I have made special note of a quiet room when traveling with your family. Also, we hope you will find time to enjoy the fine cuisine of 10Arts and enjoy the ambiance in our lobby lounge! Be on the lookout for the release of our Art of the Craft Series at 10 Arts Lounge – Seasonal Food and Drink Demonstrations by our fabulous Chefs. Complimentary to all guests!
New England
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed one night in February. Got a great rate - less than a room at the regular Marriott! Was upgraded to a corner room on 28th floor (Marriott Gold member). While the room faced city hall and would have had an excellent view, the 28th floor has a wide ledge and obstructs the view somewhat. They were doing work on the façade while I was there, and so there are workers right outside the windows from 9-5. Not a problem if you're there for work, as I was. However, the bathroom has two enormous windows in it - and could feel a little like a fishbowl. Bathroom was beautiful, but very chilly. What sets the Ritz apart from other hotels though, is the service. Just wonderful. Porter, front desk, housekeeping, room service - all attentive, friendly, and efficient. The room could have been a postage stamp with a view of a brick wall - and the service would make it all okay. I give it only four stars because of the construction and the fact that the bathroom was like an icebox. Maybe I'm picky. But I would definitely recommend for a business stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing City Hall - it's a beautiful, iconic building, and lit up at night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business