“Beautiful property; pleasant experience!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Philadelphia for the first time, recently & found it to be a pleasant experience. We chose this property because of the location & it was perfect for our needs. The staff was extremely accommodating & the public areas of the property were impressive.

Our only minor disappointment was with our accommodations. For a Deluxe King room, we found the dimensions to be a bit tight. While the bathroom was lovely & well appointed, the door barely cleared the front edge of the toilet! Also, the carpeting & upholstered pieces were slightly worn & beginning to beg for an update.

On a more positive note, the bed was quite comfortable & the room was very clean. We also had a great view of the city! Since we weren't going to be spending much time there anyway, it completely satisfied our needs.

The 10 Arts Bistro serves a delicious breakfast & the wait staff was at our beck & call. Net/net, we would stay here again & would also recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,655)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The location is great! Its right in the middle of Philly. The morning breakfast had quite a variety and was very tasty. The rooms are large and clean and had an amazing view of the city. The staff are super nice. The enterance to this place will blow you away!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MeNYNewYork
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Fabulous service from the moment we arrived until check-out! I don't think I've ever seen such knowledgeable bellmen. They gave us directions, including instructions on missing construction! Rooms were a bit dated but spotlessly clean. Lovely updated bathroom with walk in shower and separate tub. Our room was on the smaller side, but since we were staying on a promotional rate that was to be expected. Lovely view of the city hall tower.
Loved the lobby. Great coffee bar in the morning (they even provided me with a diet coke on request), s'more set-up in the afternoon, drinks while listening to the jazz duo in the evening. One evening bar area was jammed, but a manager worked hard organizing seating for everyone. A great stay, as expected at a Ritz Carleton.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The staff was exceptional! Rooms are small with little room in the bathroom. Room was very clean and bedding was comfy.

Room service, while pricey, was very good. Go for the Half Chicken!

Perfect distance to the convention center and a few walking blocks to Independence Hall.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

When we arrived service was top notch.. Check-in was very efficient,loved smore's in afternoon.... room was old and small.. no outlet behind the bed.. bathroom has been updated, had breakfast at restaurant in am.
.very
spotty service at breakfast : had to ask fot coffee several times. Would have complained but was in my big group

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed there for one night over the weekend on the 26th floor overlooking the City Hall. Positive: 1. Service was impeccable, 2. Room maintenance and condition were spotless, 3. Location in the center of Philly was hard to beat, 4. Architecture in the main lobby (mix of Greek revival and modern interior decorations) was top notch. (I would venture to say spectacular for a traditional style hotel). Neutral: 1. One restaurant at the property with so-so choices. We were too tired by the time we got in to go outside. The food is OK but you can get better experience for less if you go outside. Negative: Restrooms in the lobby are in desperate need of updating. Overall: Pleasant experience with no negative surprises.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the City Hall. The higher the better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I was really disappointed by my stay at this hotel. I have attended events at the Ritz-Carlton in FL so I was looking forward to my stay at the Ritz in Philly. Based on the absolutely beautiful and luxurious facilities I'd experienced while attending events in FL, I had such high expectations for this hotel. Boy, was I disappointed. I stayed in a standard room, and it was not luxurious at all. In fact, I have stayed at rooms in 3 star hotels that have impressed me more than my room at the Ritz.

The room I had was quite normal and nothing special at all. It was even kind of small. The bed was totally uncomfortable. They have topped the beds with something that they should remove immediately. The bathroom was nice, but that's about it. Unfortunately, the bathroom didn't even have a bathtub. The room service was awful- I literally couldn't eat the food I ordered. I had eaten at the restaurant earlier, and the food was quite good, so I don't know why the food was so nasty.

The service at the hotel was spotty. At times, the staff was nice; at times they weren't. I really appreciate the fact that a receptionist there helped me take public transportation so that I wouldn't be late for a meeting. It had snowed and no taxi would come out, but the buses were running. He helped me catch the bus, and I made it to my meeting on time. I was so thankful for his help.

Overall, I have to say that this hotel is overrated. I have stayed at better hotels, and I don't understand the hype surrounding the Ritz.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am excited to let you know that we have a fantastic up coming renovation. As General Manager your feedback is critical for me in ensuring that we deliver outstanding service to all our guests. If your time permits, I would love an opportunity to speak with you. Please reach me at 215-523-8242.
Have a great day