“Good for a longer stay”

Ranked #25 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
germany
“Good for a longer stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel was hosting a conference which I participated. So stayed a full week and have to say it was a very pleasant stay.
The welcome & check in with a glass of sparkling wine was very comfortable. The rooms were fully equipped and the elevators (I stayed on the 22 floor) fast and well organized. Never waited really long.
The fitness room was a bit small for such a big hotel. You need to be there really early to have a chance of an exercise bike or cross trainer. The equipment itself was just o.k. This is a bit disappointing for a 5 star hotel.
The big breakfast-buffet is outstanding. the food we got during the conference was very very nice. In the night I had a very silent room, some of my colleagues complaint about noise from the neighbors. I did not have this problem and had always a good rest.

Room Tip: Ask for the view on the citiy hall or the river site: this is marvelous!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Sitges, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here for a weekend while I was celebrating my MBA reunion. Overall the stay was good but I did not get the same luxury feel that I did in other Ritz hotels. Given my line of work I have had periods in my life where I lived in hotels and I have very fond memories of some Ritz Carlton hotels. I have also stayed in many 5 star hotels so will use those as reference.

The building
The hotel itself is located in a grandiose building with huge roman inspired columns in its entrance. The inside itself and the decoration are somewhat outdated and could use a bit of freshening up (to live up to other luxury hotels). The reception feels a bit cold and impersonal. Location-wise it is conveniently located in center city, walking distance to Rittenhouse Square and with enough taxis to move around if you are not up to walking.

The rooms
When you get in the room you feel like in any other business hotel in the US. Large comfortable bed, flat screen TV...and a tired couch, a lamp and a desk. From a size perspective the room is on the small end of the spectrum but ok. The bathroom has a nice walk in shower and a separate toilet which I guess is nice. You have to pay for internet (which I did not expect) and it seems like typically breakfast is not included (so can't talk about it). The rooms are also a little noisy (we were overlooking a large avenue and the windows did not seem to do much to leave the noise out).

The bar
In the middle of the reception area there is a bar which is nicely done but with somewhat random people there. While we were having a champagne glass with my wife the table next to us had ordered a delivery pizza and was eating it out of the box...in my dictionary that spectacle does not blend in well with a luxury restaurant...it definitely took away from the ambiance we were hoping...

We didn't go to the restaurant not used any other facilities so cannot comment on them.

Overall this is a reasonable hotel with a business feel to it (rather than a luxury hotel). Given the limited options in Philly I think this is a good one but I have to believe that there is something which has to be better...

• Stayed May 2014
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for writing a detailed review on our TripAdvisor page as it is through feedback such as your own that we are able to strengthen our brand and our commitment to provide the finest personal service and facilities to all guests of our hotel. It is always nice to find that our guests enjoy the hotel and its beauty as much as we do every day. We have an upcoming renovation in the planning stages currently, and are anxiously awaiting the newly remodeled spaces with a new, fresh and organic design. We hope you will return and are able to dine with us at our fabulous restaurant under the great columns and marble. On behalf of the Ladies and Gentlemen, we hope you enjoyed a wonderful MBA reunion.
Bucks County, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. We live in the area and have been to the restaurant and bar several times. These areas are beautiful and upscale. Unfortunately the rest of the hotel does not live up to the Ritz Carlton reputation. Our room was spacious enough, but was very dated. Large stain on the chair, nicked furniture, overall bland furnishings, it looked like we were staying at Hampton Inn instead of a supposedly 5-star hotel. Bathroom was nice, but no light in or near the shower. Towels were like sandpaper. Sometimes there were doormen, sometimes not. And even when they were there some of them would just look at you instead of opening the door. Definitely not the experience I was expecting from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
I am writing to thank you for writing a response on our TripAdvisor page after your recent visit into the city. Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated and valued. I hold my commitment, to provide legendary service to our guests, with high regard; hope to provide only the finest services, products and facilities each and every day. As you may have read previously, we are looking forward to a renovation of all guest rooms and we hope you will return to experience the excitement with us! I look forward to meeting you and your husband next time you are in town for the weekend.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Great Location. Fantastic Staff!! Room small sub par, very loud street noise. Hotel was and old bank with an attached tower. Parking is an issue, call ahead 20 mins for your car.Nearby restaurants are awesome walk around. beautiful city hall.

Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This property is located in a beautiful old building, but the public spaces have not been decorated to take advantage of the grand architecture. The room I had was small and strangely laid out. The promised king bed was really a full or queen at best. The TV was downright petite. There was truly nothing special about the room, and certainly nothing that would reflect that this was supposed to be a luxury hotel. The bathroom did have one nice feature, a large window next to the tub. But that was overwhelmed by the bathroom's desperate need for repairs. There was a profusion of peeling paint and peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, with a number of water stains to go with that. The in-room dining menu was also nothing special -- lots of boring old choices -- and the food itself was, again, simply not what one should expect from a luxury hotel. And in that vein, where were the little services that are the hallmark of luxury hotel? For example, at least the Four Seasons offers free overnight shoeshines. Here, expect to be nickel-and-dimed on things like wifi, which you can get for free at the nearby Hotel Palomar.

All in all, not an impressive experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room, if there are any.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you kindly for taking the time out of your day to review and detail your experience at our hotel; thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the buildings beauty and incredibly unique architecture for the area we are located. We pride ourselves on embracing the historic aspects of the building and in may ways are not able to touch the preexisting structure and layout of the space. As you may have read in previous responses, we are looking forward to a great renovation project that will improve the buildings worth and create a comfortable and luxurious feel for our guests. I hope we are able to invite you back to experience and celebrate our new changes.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I shied away from this Ritz Carlton after reading questionable reviews about the friendliness of the staff or quality of the accommodations. Having stayed there now, I completely disagree with them. As is customary in any Ritz Carlton I've been to, the staff are exceptionally friendly (several said they were trained at Disney enterprises) and helpful.

The accommodations are as luxurious and comfortable as you would expect for a hotel of this caliber.

Central location can be a bit noisy, but the rooms are insulated well.

Club lounge food was delicious, and breakfast was much better than I have had at comparable hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My daughter and I came to Philly to see the Barnes Collection last weekend. The hotel is in a great area, walking distance to many of the historical sights & just a short cab ride to the Italian Market. The lobby is impressive, very busy, with a grand bar& we were offered a flute of champagne while we were checking in, a nice treat. Everyone smiled and greeted us, very welcoming. We checked in and were told we were being upgraded to a superior room. Although the room was spacious enough, with 2 double beds, the furnishings were dull and ordinary. It could have been a room in an airport Marriott or Radisson; not at all what one would expect from the RC. Bathroom was adequate, with a nice, large marble vanity, separate toilet & separate glassed in shower (a bit small, with mildew on the grouting). Amenities rather skimpy. Towels were thick and fluffy, very nice. There were two waffle weave robes, no slippers. We were brought a basket of Philadelphia "goodies" by a very friendly woman - Tasty Cake cupcakes, root beer & little candy bars. Nice gesture, but not our taste. Beds were average - a little firm, but not uncomfortable. No noise from the hallway, but lots of noise from the traffic below (we were on the 7th floor).

We asked for a recommendation from the Concierge for an authentic, casual Italian restaurant in S. Philly, & he made us a reservation at the Villa Roma. We couldn't believe he recommended this place. No ambience whatsoever, very tacky, mediocre food. I asked the waitress if the eggplant was fresh & I thought she might throw me out! Do not go there! The pasta was over cooked & mushy. Yech.

The next morning we went to breakfast (included in our package). The hostess, who did not even greet us, asked if we had a reservation & we said no. We were not advised at checkin that we needed a reservation for breakfast (!). This woman acted like it was a big problem, although we could see many empty tables. We were seated and had a lovely breakfast buffet - lots of choices, nicely prepared offerings, including made to order omelets, eggs Benedict, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. Our waitress was very attentive & was always there to refill our coffee. Very enjoyable.

Overall, the staff was very friendly, the lobby is lovely & checkin was efficient and welcoming. The rooms are definitely a poor value for the money. We were very disappointed in the restaurant the concierge recommended. Would I stay here again? No. I'll go back to the Rittenhouse.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. Lots of noise from police sirens, fire trucks, cars.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family