“Not the service expected for a Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #22 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
nyc
“Not the service expected for a Ritz”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The staff seemed confused about everything. The waiter at restaurant was not great and the concierge was one of the worst around. He was a young guy who obviously had no clue. I asked about hop on hop off tours. I asked if there are any discounts. He just replied no. I asked where to get the bus and then I asked the name of the bus company. He looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently he only knows of one bus company in Philly and there are a few. My mom also paid $200 towards the room as a gift. They got that wrong and charged her for the entire night plus tax and couldn't fix it until accounting came in. They wouldn't give me the bill print out either because it was paid for by my mom. Was very surprised that the people who worked at this upscale hotel were not better.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bigtravelert
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for providing detailed feedback. As for the service, it is very uncharacteristic of our Ladies and Gentlemen and we only hope that we are able to invite you back to improve upon our service commitment to you. We want you to know that your experience has been shared and comments have been addressed. The City of Brotherly Love has so much to offer and we hope you will return soon to experience that and so much more. If you return to the city, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me if you wish. We wish you all the best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Holden Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

First- this is an awesome location, hands down.

Close to everything and a great rate brought me in. The lobby felt like more of a w than a Ritz-- the concept was a bit off to me. (But I am not a fashion designer)

Once you get to your rooms, expect a great view! But the furniture and wall paper is old, dented, and a bit dirty.

I hope that Ritz puts some money in the hotel to keep up with some of the other hotels.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HoldenBea
Thank you for taking the time and your feedback shared on our TripAdvisor page. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated as we are happy to know that our guests share a love for our building and its historic beauty and charm. With regards to comments shared about our rooms, we are currently in the planning phase of a renovation plan that will begin in the near future. We hope to see you again soon so we can experience the same great views of the city from our newly renovated space.
Lorain, Ohio
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I had to book a room at the last minute for a three-day training in Philadelphia and I was pleasantly surprised to discover the $150.00 rate at a Ritz-Carlton property for two nights. This was my first stay at a Ritz property.
Pluses: beautiful hotel and lobby. Compared to my previous nights' cramped stay at the nearby Le Meridien, (the Ritz was completely booked the night before) I enjoyed a very spacious room with a streetside view. I really appreciated the fact I was able to take advantage of both a soaking tub and stand-up shower in the bathroom. Wonderful toiletries were a plus as well. I lucked out in being booked in a room tucked away from the main hallway and I really appreciated the peace and quiet. The furniture has seen better days, but everything was neat and clean (i.e. no mold in tub, no dust on furniture, etc.) Tip: there is a multi-story Walgreen's right across the street that is either open 24 hours or late at night where you can grab late-night snacks, soft-serve ice cream as well as a nice selection of drug-store and some higher-end cosmetics. Hotel employees were very courteous and helpful. I didn't have the opportunity to eat at the restaurant but I had a quick bite and two glasses of wine before my flight out and it was tasty and enjoyable.
The only real downside of my stay: when I booked the room, the representative told me there would be a $150.00 dollar hold placed on my credit card in addition to the 2-nights room and tax charge. When I checked into the hotel, the front-desk associate confirmed this information was correct. Yet, it was only after I checked into the hotel that I discovered the $150.00 hold was per-night, not per-stay. When I called and expressed concern about the inconsistent information previously provided to me, the front-desk associate just told me the hold was allready placed and nothing could be done.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank purpleknif67
Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the Ritz last Friday with a friend visiting from Seattle WA and two from London, UK.

Evidence of exceptional service:

1. Went outside to look for a quick snack. Going around the building there was a chef BBQing some hamburgers and hotdogs. Didn't know who was sponsoring the event...but certainly was assuming to pay for it. Walked up to the chef...he asked us if we were with the Ritz....and said yes...do you need to see my room key...he said, nope, no problem, what would you like. After being served, we looked around and seemed like the only people eating here was employees of the Ritz..not guests. Feeling a bit weird...a lady approached us and introduced herself, said she was with the housekeeping dept...said she welcomed us and if she could get us some ice cream..that she would (and did) go stand in line and bring it over to us with a smile. Apparently this was an employee appreciation function...but she managed to make us feel welcomed!

I had stayed at the Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe property last fall with some other friends. When we arrived, the gentleman opening up the door for us looked familiar, and recognized him from Tahoe. He remembered who I was, welcomed us to the Philly Ritz....and later that night when we arrived back in our rooms after a day of sightseeing....a bottle of sparkling wine and a hand written note from the Valet wishing us all a wonderful stay. Good job Eric!

Later that night while enjoying some drinks down at the bar...the waitress was very friendly and had great conversations with her. We told her that we had visited the old Pennhurst Mental Hospital and the Eastern State Prison as part of a abandon, haunted buildings tour. She talked about living in south philly where an old hospital now lays vacant and is rumored to be haunted as well. She came later and had printed off info from the internet about this new place to visit. Extra effort for sure!

Finally, at breakfast the next morning, my friends from the UK asked the chef preparing the Omelet station whether or not they had baked beans for breakfast. Although common in the UK..a bit strange for the US. She said sorry, no they didn't....but after she had made my omelet, she had another chef cover her while she went to the kitchen to search for some baked beans...and can back with a hot cast iron skillet of freshly made baked beans just for my guest.

Unusual? I think so. At every opportunity...I was amazed at what lengths the staff went to make us feel exceptionally special. We never asked to be treated special...and we dress very casual, not pretentious about our appearances at all. Fantastic job Ritz!

Room Tip: Pay for a good room, get a good room. Not cheap... but a value nevertheless
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank army04steve
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Was in Philadelphia and got stuck in a very small room with one nightstand, a small bed, no clock, and a window with blinds in the shower. Not sure if this is their standard room, but if it is save your money. I am a veteran traveler with many good stays at the Ritz chain, but this location is not up to the standards of the chain.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel in Philadelphia
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience on our Trip Advisor page. As a loyal guest of the brand, I am pleased to let you know of an exciting renovation plan for our hotel in the near future. Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to share your comments as it is only through feedback that we are able to improve and continue to grow. I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the city of brotherly love.
Manhattan, NY
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Overnight stay for a birthday celebration and a game at Citizen's Park. Arrived a bit early greeted by a very pleasant front desk staff. Had our bags checked while we went off to game. While at park a call from hotel advising our room was available . Thanked her for the call and advised we would be back later, Requested our bags to be brought to room . Arrived back and got our room keys very quickly. Up to our room overlooking City Hall from the 10th. Floor. Large king room with a very nice bath. Found the street noise to be a bit loud at 10:00 PM ... Around 1:00 am awoken by a very loud argument coming from an adjacent room. After pounding , slamming of doors and some objects being thrown against the walls, was just about to call the front desk/police and the couple seemed to quiet down..... ... Interesting and somewhat disturbing end to a lovely birthday evening..... Don't let this experience keep you away .. Very lovely hotel .

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking Broad Street or perhaps a very high floor 15+ Noise quite excessive
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnCManhattan_NY
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

From their website, all room categories views are described as "spectacular". Trust me, you might be looking right into an air conditioning vent, right in front of your window. And some room floor plans might be described in square feet and might seem huge, but much of that space is clearly in the long bowling alley entrance that you won't use or feel, other than to get in and out of the room. Other than that, room is spotless and quite beautiful furnishings.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful, and really made you feel welcome and even special. Breakfast in the lobby restaurant was really excellent, and not overpriced for the quality you get.

I noticed some big price swings at the hotel on some dates, so if you're flexible, you might get a bargain here. Lobby is one of the most beautiful I've seen anywhere. I liked that there is a 24 hour Walgreen's across the street.

Room Tip: If you don't have the view of City Hall, likely your view won't be too great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo