“No what we expected”

Ranked #22 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Franklin Park, New Jersey
“No what we expected”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to get away for Memorial Day weekend and we figured it'd be nice to stay at the Ritz. We were both extremely excited about our stay but once we got there that excitement disappeared. It was a beautiful hotel, but she we finally got to our room, the bed wasn't made, the room looked like someone was still staying in it. it was a mess. there was dirty water in the tub and it was just disgusting. We requested to have the room cleaned because it was the exact room that we wanted, but instead they put us in a different room and it just wasn't as nice as the one we requested. We still asked to have our room back when it was ready and the lady at the desk said she'd give us a call when it was ready. We waited for a few hours before we got settled but no one ever got back to us. The hotel was beautiful. I wish we were taken care of a little better because we would've enjoyed our stay more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
I would like to thank you for providing constructive feedback shared on our Trip Advisor page. I am quite happy to know that you were a guest of ours and able to experience the true beauty that the hotel offers. It's historic charm and flawless architectural structure provide for a special get-a-way inside The Cite of Brotherly Love. Your comments regarding your stay have been shared with our leadership team and have been addressed with our Ladies and Gentlemen. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future as it our commitment to you to provide first class legendary service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and gracious. If we needed anything it was immediately taken care of. Brunch on Saturday was awesome We had access to the Club
Lounge and the wait staff was lovely. We will stay here again. Lobby bar is really fabulous too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Fantastic experience with our business meeting here. It during a really bad snow storm and the staff was extremely accommodating. Great service, menu, and general ambiance. The location is very central. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was a Very confortable and friendly hotel
The staff is Exceptinal in all senses
Amability education Good manners Very helpful
The y deserve Good mention
The hotel is excellent of course
The best location
Only to mention no free wifi in rooms

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night, the night before our daughter graduated from college. When we checked in, our room was not ready, but the front desk checked us in and stored our luggage. A little bit later, we got the call that our room was ready and we stopped at the front desk to get our keys. The woman working at the front desk gave us our keys, but gave us no direction as to how to get to our room. We turned a corner and saw the concierge desk but there was no concierge at the desk. We have never stayed at this hotel before so we were not familiar with the layout or where the elevators were. We then asked a hotel employee that was walking by how to get to our room and she pointed out the elevators, which were down a small set of stairs and around a corner, and explained where our room was. We got up to our room and it was a pretty average room. Not at all what I was expecting. There were two double beds, a desk, a TV, a refrigerator and a bathroom. Everything was clean and the bathroom was updated and nice, but this having been my first "Ritz Carlton experience", I was really expecting more. The view of City Hall and Broad Street outside of our window was pretty. Overall I would say that I don't have to ever stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CrowDH
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed account of your stay with us during your recent visit to The City of Brotherly Love during your daughters graduation. The complete satisfaction of our guests is of utmost importance to our Ladies and Gentlemen and to me personally; it is our goal to provide an exceptional stay from the moment you walk through our doors. Your review has been shared with our hotel leaders to ensure that we can only improve upon our service commitment to our most loyal guests. We hope to have the chance to welcome you and your husband and family back to ensure that your experience is exceptional. As a parent myself, I know how important this time must have been for you and I hope that the time in the city celebrating your daughters next step in life was memorable.
nyc
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The staff seemed confused about everything. The waiter at restaurant was not great and the concierge was one of the worst around. He was a young guy who obviously had no clue. I asked about hop on hop off tours. I asked if there are any discounts. He just replied no. I asked where to get the bus and then I asked the name of the bus company. He looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently he only knows of one bus company in Philly and there are a few. My mom also paid $200 towards the room as a gift. They got that wrong and charged her for the entire night plus tax and couldn't fix it until accounting came in. They wouldn't give me the bill print out either because it was paid for by my mom. Was very surprised that the people who worked at this upscale hotel were not better.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bigtravelert
Thank you for staying with us and for providing detailed feedback. As for the service, it is very uncharacteristic of our Ladies and Gentlemen and we only hope that we are able to invite you back to improve upon our service commitment to you. We want you to know that your experience has been shared and comments have been addressed. The City of Brotherly Love has so much to offer and we hope you will return soon to experience that and so much more. If you return to the city, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me if you wish. We wish you all the best.
Holden Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

First- this is an awesome location, hands down.

Close to everything and a great rate brought me in. The lobby felt like more of a w than a Ritz-- the concept was a bit off to me. (But I am not a fashion designer)

Once you get to your rooms, expect a great view! But the furniture and wall paper is old, dented, and a bit dirty.

I hope that Ritz puts some money in the hotel to keep up with some of the other hotels.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HoldenBea
Thank you for taking the time and your feedback shared on our TripAdvisor page. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated as we are happy to know that our guests share a love for our building and its historic beauty and charm. With regards to comments shared about our rooms, we are currently in the planning phase of a renovation plan that will begin in the near future. We hope to see you again soon so we can experience the same great views of the city from our newly renovated space.