“Horrible hotel with service to match”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

How does this property claim to be a Ritz? I think Hotel 8 would have better service. Here is a starter list of what was wrong: (1) hotel will not give you bar soap unless you ask for it, (2) apparently you have to request wash cloths too,(3) hotel can't get paper delivery right, no matter how many times you ask, (4) when requesting something, you have to do it more than once, (5) they can't even get a basic turn down service correct.

I'm not sure what kind of people they are hiring, but the incompetence at this location is absolutely unfathomable. How does hotel even stay in business?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank TallDrinkTraveler
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear TallDrinkTraveler, I wanted to thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to speak with you if your time permits. I can be reached at 215-523-8240. Have a great day and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to get away for Memorial Day weekend and we figured it'd be nice to stay at the Ritz. We were both extremely excited about our stay but once we got there that excitement disappeared. It was a beautiful hotel, but she we finally got to our room, the bed wasn't made, the room looked like someone was still staying in it. it was a mess. there was dirty water in the tub and it was just disgusting. We requested to have the room cleaned because it was the exact room that we wanted, but instead they put us in a different room and it just wasn't as nice as the one we requested. We still asked to have our room back when it was ready and the lady at the desk said she'd give us a call when it was ready. We waited for a few hours before we got settled but no one ever got back to us. The hotel was beautiful. I wish we were taken care of a little better because we would've enjoyed our stay more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for providing constructive feedback shared on our Trip Advisor page. I am quite happy to know that you were a guest of ours and able to experience the true beauty that the hotel offers. It's historic charm and flawless architectural structure provide for a special get-a-way inside The Cite of Brotherly Love. Your comments regarding your stay have been shared with our leadership team and have been addressed with our Ladies and Gentlemen. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future as it our commitment to you to provide first class legendary service.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and gracious. If we needed anything it was immediately taken care of. Brunch on Saturday was awesome We had access to the Club
Lounge and the wait staff was lovely. We will stay here again. Lobby bar is really fabulous too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Fantastic experience with our business meeting here. It during a really bad snow storm and the staff was extremely accommodating. Great service, menu, and general ambiance. The location is very central. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was a Very confortable and friendly hotel
The staff is Exceptinal in all senses
Amability education Good manners Very helpful
The y deserve Good mention
The hotel is excellent of course
The best location
Only to mention no free wifi in rooms

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night, the night before our daughter graduated from college. When we checked in, our room was not ready, but the front desk checked us in and stored our luggage. A little bit later, we got the call that our room was ready and we stopped at the front desk to get our keys. The woman working at the front desk gave us our keys, but gave us no direction as to how to get to our room. We turned a corner and saw the concierge desk but there was no concierge at the desk. We have never stayed at this hotel before so we were not familiar with the layout or where the elevators were. We then asked a hotel employee that was walking by how to get to our room and she pointed out the elevators, which were down a small set of stairs and around a corner, and explained where our room was. We got up to our room and it was a pretty average room. Not at all what I was expecting. There were two double beds, a desk, a TV, a refrigerator and a bathroom. Everything was clean and the bathroom was updated and nice, but this having been my first "Ritz Carlton experience", I was really expecting more. The view of City Hall and Broad Street outside of our window was pretty. Overall I would say that I don't have to ever stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CrowDH
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed account of your stay with us during your recent visit to The City of Brotherly Love during your daughters graduation. The complete satisfaction of our guests is of utmost importance to our Ladies and Gentlemen and to me personally; it is our goal to provide an exceptional stay from the moment you walk through our doors. Your review has been shared with our hotel leaders to ensure that we can only improve upon our service commitment to our most loyal guests. We hope to have the chance to welcome you and your husband and family back to ensure that your experience is exceptional. As a parent myself, I know how important this time must have been for you and I hope that the time in the city celebrating your daughters next step in life was memorable.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The staff seemed confused about everything. The waiter at restaurant was not great and the concierge was one of the worst around. He was a young guy who obviously had no clue. I asked about hop on hop off tours. I asked if there are any discounts. He just replied no. I asked where to get the bus and then I asked the name of the bus company. He looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently he only knows of one bus company in Philly and there are a few. My mom also paid $200 towards the room as a gift. They got that wrong and charged her for the entire night plus tax and couldn't fix it until accounting came in. They wouldn't give me the bill print out either because it was paid for by my mom. Was very surprised that the people who worked at this upscale hotel were not better.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bigtravelert

Thank you for staying with us and for providing detailed feedback. As for the service, it is very uncharacteristic of our Ladies and Gentlemen and we only hope that we are able to invite you back to improve upon our service commitment to you. We want you to know that your experience has been shared and comments have been addressed. The City of Brotherly Love has so much to offer and we hope you will return soon to experience that and so much more. If you return to the city, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me if you wish. We wish you all the best.