“Wonderful Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in June for our anniv and a birthday and checked in at noon and our upgraded room was waiting for us. Room was over sized with a large bathroom with a tub and a separate shower and very comfortable king bed. We went out for afternoon and came back to find champagne and a small cake waiting for us in the room, nice surprise. Very clean hotel and the staff was very courteous and always greeted us as we walked through the very pretty lobby.
They offered slippers, bottled water and several other amenties, definitely another nice touch.. Our room came with breakfast in the 10 Arts Bistro which was also quite good. All in all a wonderful stay in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 714
Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a classic Ritz: service was friendly and spot on; food was excellent; room was clean and seemed to be a recent renovation; comfortable bed; and common areas of hotel are comfortable with offerings from quiet to busy. After I checked out, I had to work in the lobby for a couple of hours. Great Wi-Fi--and the staff kept me comfortable with food and drinks without hovering. Everyone I met who worked at this hotel treated me so well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We spent a long weekend in Philly and were looking for a central base. You cannot find a better spot on the map. Great location near all SEPTA services, but close enough to walk everywhere. 15 minute walk to historic sites, 10 minute walk to Rittenhouse. I cannot say enough about the LOCATION.

BUILDING is beautiful and we loved the lobby/bar area where we spent several hours watching the Stanley Cup and World Cup games. The hotel hosted several weddings in the ballrooms over the course of the weekend, but I never felt the service was spread too thin.

ROOMS This is clearly an older Ritz property, but still clean and comfortable. The only issue we had was with shower water temperature being slightly off. We had a great view of the City Hall clock tower. For the amount of time we spent in the room, I was satisfied.

STAFF Special thanks to the amazing ladies and gentleman. They graciously supplied me with a few band aids because a bad pair of shoes caused some blisters. Something so little, but so appreciated. Concierge recommendations for beer halls and FIFA-friendly locations were perfect. Will definitely consider this property if we visit Philly again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice property with lovely lobby and nice rooms. It is in a central and convenient location. Service is good but not as consistent as I would expect. For example, I requested a Saturday newspaper but did not receive one. Also, they charge $10 per day for the Internet which seems a bit unreasonable in todays day and age.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here on business. I should have followed my instinct and gone to the Four Seasons. When I checked in, I was told I was receiving a "complimentary upgrade to a larger room with two double size beds". When I looked baffled (without saying anything), the woman volunteered that my reservation was apparently done on some guaranteed "whatever is available" basis which I gather means that if the only thing they had was a cot, I'd get stuck with it. So, I suggested that the "upgrade" is not really an upgrade at all. Her response: the normal room with this type of reservation is "very tiny" so it is an upgrade. Hmm. I suppose on a relative basis she's right, but not exactly the kind of logic I was expecting. I am surprised by the admission that Ritz Carlton (once the gold standard of luxury) even has "tiny rooms". Apparently they do and I am fortunate (and should be grateful for the generous upgrade). So, I arrive in my bigger-than-tiny room and the room smells as if someone had smoked here, but they tried to remove it. The room was completely dark, not a single light on. I thought it was standard luxury hotel practice to make you feel welcome by "leaving a light on for you", or is that some budget hotel that knows how to do it correctly, can't remember??. When I find the switches and turn on the lights, I see furniture that is out of order - tables misaligned with the walls, lamp shades all messed up, etc. The skirt on one bed has stains on it, and the skirt on the other bed is all out of whack, all crumpled up on the front side of the bed. I go in the bathroom and the toilet had been used but not flushed, and there was a long matted hair laying on top of the toilet. There is also something funky about the water. It takes a few minutes for hot water to come from the faucet and when it does, the cold doesn't mix correctly with it, even at full blast (which is not full blast by normal standards now that I think of it). Bottom line, not so good.

Room Tip: Call ahead and make sure you have the precise type of room you want guarantied. If you are not spec...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank attn2dtail
Reviewed 10 June 2014

How does this property claim to be a Ritz? I think Hotel 8 would have better service. Here is a starter list of what was wrong: (1) hotel will not give you bar soap unless you ask for it, (2) apparently you have to request wash cloths too,(3) hotel can't get paper delivery right, no matter how many times you ask, (4) when requesting something, you have to do it more than once, (5) they can't even get a basic turn down service correct.

I'm not sure what kind of people they are hiring, but the incompetence at this location is absolutely unfathomable. How does hotel even stay in business?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank TallDrinkTraveler
Darryll A, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear TallDrinkTraveler, I wanted to thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to speak with you if your time permits. I can be reached at 215-523-8240. Have a great day and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to get away for Memorial Day weekend and we figured it'd be nice to stay at the Ritz. We were both extremely excited about our stay but once we got there that excitement disappeared. It was a beautiful hotel, but she we finally got to our room, the bed wasn't made, the room looked like someone was still staying in it. it was a mess. there was dirty water in the tub and it was just disgusting. We requested to have the room cleaned because it was the exact room that we wanted, but instead they put us in a different room and it just wasn't as nice as the one we requested. We still asked to have our room back when it was ready and the lady at the desk said she'd give us a call when it was ready. We waited for a few hours before we got settled but no one ever got back to us. The hotel was beautiful. I wish we were taken care of a little better because we would've enjoyed our stay more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for providing constructive feedback shared on our Trip Advisor page. I am quite happy to know that you were a guest of ours and able to experience the true beauty that the hotel offers. It's historic charm and flawless architectural structure provide for a special get-a-way inside The Cite of Brotherly Love. Your comments regarding your stay have been shared with our leadership team and have been addressed with our Ladies and Gentlemen. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future as it our commitment to you to provide first class legendary service.