“Great Property & Location”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Staff was waiting with chilled water upon arrival. Check in was smoothe and quick. Room was clean and bright. Upgraded to Superior Room with 2 beds. Plenty of room. Spacious bathroom with all amenities.

Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Finally, after three weeks in hotel rooms with little or no aspect from their windows, we walked into our corner room at the Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, to find natural light streaming through the windows and a view of the Town Hall, plus a bird's eye look at city streets beyond.. There was even a window in the bathroom with the view of the ornate French-style building that is the Town Hall. Lovely!

The room itself was not huge, but certainly spacious enough for two double beds, an easy chair, a side table, desk and unit with fridge, coffee maker, TV etc. The bathroom was really nice. It had a long bench, a bathtub, a separate shower recess, and a toilet tucked to the side, with a door for privacy. We lowered the blind on the window when necessary, but could also enjoy the view while brushing our teeth!

The colour scheme was creamy-gold, with gold and green carpet, white woodwork and dark timber furniture. It was elegant and fresh.

Breakfast was a bit odd. There was no buffet. We were given three different options, then had to wait a considerable time. My partner chose the cooked breakfast - quite small, and with either toast or pastries - not both. I had smoked salmon on a toasted bagel, which I enjoyed. Others in the group chose the cereal and were not pleased with either the size of the serving or the taste. Of course, we were with a tour, so the travel company may have set the limits on breakfast choices.

The hotel is certainly in a good position for seeing the city. We walked part of the area, and saw the lovely old interior of the nearby Macey's store, as well as several other notable buildings.

It's a pity we stayed only one night. I would have liked more time to enjoy the views from our sunny 14th floor room.

Room Tip: We had a great view, but the noise from the street was loud early in the night, so you may prefer a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nocatnow
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in June for our anniv and a birthday and checked in at noon and our upgraded room was waiting for us. Room was over sized with a large bathroom with a tub and a separate shower and very comfortable king bed. We went out for afternoon and came back to find champagne and a small cake waiting for us in the room, nice surprise. Very clean hotel and the staff was very courteous and always greeted us as we walked through the very pretty lobby.
They offered slippers, bottled water and several other amenties, definitely another nice touch.. Our room came with breakfast in the 10 Arts Bistro which was also quite good. All in all a wonderful stay in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 714
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a classic Ritz: service was friendly and spot on; food was excellent; room was clean and seemed to be a recent renovation; comfortable bed; and common areas of hotel are comfortable with offerings from quiet to busy. After I checked out, I had to work in the lobby for a couple of hours. Great Wi-Fi--and the staff kept me comfortable with food and drinks without hovering. Everyone I met who worked at this hotel treated me so well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We spent a long weekend in Philly and were looking for a central base. You cannot find a better spot on the map. Great location near all SEPTA services, but close enough to walk everywhere. 15 minute walk to historic sites, 10 minute walk to Rittenhouse. I cannot say enough about the LOCATION.

BUILDING is beautiful and we loved the lobby/bar area where we spent several hours watching the Stanley Cup and World Cup games. The hotel hosted several weddings in the ballrooms over the course of the weekend, but I never felt the service was spread too thin.

ROOMS This is clearly an older Ritz property, but still clean and comfortable. The only issue we had was with shower water temperature being slightly off. We had a great view of the City Hall clock tower. For the amount of time we spent in the room, I was satisfied.

STAFF Special thanks to the amazing ladies and gentleman. They graciously supplied me with a few band aids because a bad pair of shoes caused some blisters. Something so little, but so appreciated. Concierge recommendations for beer halls and FIFA-friendly locations were perfect. Will definitely consider this property if we visit Philly again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice property with lovely lobby and nice rooms. It is in a central and convenient location. Service is good but not as consistent as I would expect. For example, I requested a Saturday newspaper but did not receive one. Also, they charge $10 per day for the Internet which seems a bit unreasonable in todays day and age.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here on business. I should have followed my instinct and gone to the Four Seasons. When I checked in, I was told I was receiving a "complimentary upgrade to a larger room with two double size beds". When I looked baffled (without saying anything), the woman volunteered that my reservation was apparently done on some guaranteed "whatever is available" basis which I gather means that if the only thing they had was a cot, I'd get stuck with it. So, I suggested that the "upgrade" is not really an upgrade at all. Her response: the normal room with this type of reservation is "very tiny" so it is an upgrade. Hmm. I suppose on a relative basis she's right, but not exactly the kind of logic I was expecting. I am surprised by the admission that Ritz Carlton (once the gold standard of luxury) even has "tiny rooms". Apparently they do and I am fortunate (and should be grateful for the generous upgrade). So, I arrive in my bigger-than-tiny room and the room smells as if someone had smoked here, but they tried to remove it. The room was completely dark, not a single light on. I thought it was standard luxury hotel practice to make you feel welcome by "leaving a light on for you", or is that some budget hotel that knows how to do it correctly, can't remember??. When I find the switches and turn on the lights, I see furniture that is out of order - tables misaligned with the walls, lamp shades all messed up, etc. The skirt on one bed has stains on it, and the skirt on the other bed is all out of whack, all crumpled up on the front side of the bed. I go in the bathroom and the toilet had been used but not flushed, and there was a long matted hair laying on top of the toilet. There is also something funky about the water. It takes a few minutes for hot water to come from the faucet and when it does, the cold doesn't mix correctly with it, even at full blast (which is not full blast by normal standards now that I think of it). Bottom line, not so good.

Room Tip: Call ahead and make sure you have the precise type of room you want guarantied. If you are not spec...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business