“Excellent Quality; No Surprises”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent Quality; No Surprises”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

When I am in Philadelphia, I prefer to stay here because I can count on staying at a four-star hotel that actually meets its rating, time after time. My "junior suite" is an ideal size for even an overnight visit. It leaves me feeling that I have some room to move around without being so large I get lost. The bed is comfortable, as is the bedding. The bathroom has always been one of my favorites - in fact I remodeled my bathroom shower and fixtures at home based on it. I rarely get a chance to get out for an evening meal, so I eat at the bar. The food quality and selection are adequate and the surroundings are pleasant. The front desk personnel are both very competent and friendly, as is the concierge. This last time, my office got an especially good rate through an online booking service, which made the stay even more enjoyable. Downtown Philadelphia shows the age of this city; a bit dirty and unclean. But the hotel is safe and a pleasant retreat from the narrow streets and somewhat tacky stores nearby. The 30th St. Amtrak station is a short cab ride from the hotel. There are excellent restuarants and shops within walking distance. I look forward to returning in a month or two when business takes me back to Philly.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room at this hotel
2 Thank PinchHit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Greatly enjoyed a 4 night business trip to Philadelphia by staying here. Awesome location in the heart of Center City Philadelphia, within easy walking distance to both the business district and the key historic sites & parks. Check-in includes the clang of a xylophone to call the bellman to assist with luggage. Rooms vary in size by price category but all are comfortable, have awesome beds, and contain large bathrooms including a sink with lots of shelf space and a stand-alone shower as well as a tub! Bar scene is very happening (and slightly pricey). Food menus are French-leaning (understandably) but everything is quite good! The one odd thing about the hotel is that the "stand alone restaurant" is only open for breakfast while dinner can only be had in the bar area or via room service (and the two dinner menus differ somewhat). When the prices are reasonable, this hotel is a must-book!

2 Thank traveltime841
San Antonio
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights while on business. The hotel is in the center of everything, walking distance to the office, shops, restuarants, Rittenhause park. Fabulous room, nice living space, big bathroom, neat dressing area which was a nice surprise. Bed was amazing, if you like LOTS of cushion. If you prefer a harder matress/bed this might not be the place for you. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. A little wear and tear on the furniture but didnt make much of a difference.

Hotel staff was very accomodating and friendly. Utilized the concierge who was efficient, friendly and very helpful.

I have never stayed at a Sofitel before and I will now look for them where ever I travel.

Great job!

2 Thank tsstansb
Peru, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The moment we arrived we new we were at the best hotel. One of the front desk clerks, Patrick, was so very helpful and we ate at the best places because of him. Every staff member was kind and curtious. The hotel was centrally located so walking everywhere was so easy. Once you in your fabulous room, and get into to the most comfortable bed in the world, nothing else matters. Everyone and everything about this hotel was awesome. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
3 Thank Suebear1
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed here with my husband August 17 - 19/ We had a prestige suite on the 8th floor with a breakfast/drive package which gave us free breakfast both days and free valet parking. The room was a handicap access room, so there was no tub in the bathroom, just a huge walk-in shower. That suited me just fine:)

Everything was spotless, and the room was very large and comfortable. As many have mentioned before, the bed was wonderful to sleep in. Staff were extremely friendly and courteous.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nhpm900
Granville, Ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here last week and had an outstanding experience. The property is attractive, the room was well appointed and very comfortable, the bed was amazing, and the rate I paid was very fair. But what really made the experience was the employees. Every person I encountered was friendly and seemed genuinely eager to be helpful, even, as other reviewers have mentioned, to the point of anticipating my needs. I don't know that I've ever had that experience in a hotel before. I stayed only one night and my time in Philadelphia was very busy, so I did not get to enjoy all of the hotel's amenities, but I would gladly return and recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank whyohwhyoh
Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at the Philadelphia Sofitel for 2 nights for our 35th anniversary. We had a junior king suite which was very large and a bath almost as good as home. Large separate tub and large walk in shower and room enough for 2 people to move around. And there were lots of towels. We usually have to ask for more towels. Most hotels give you 3 towels for 2 people, not sure how they figure that, but it seems to me if you are out during the day visiting the city you would probably want to take another shower before dinner.(Sorry i needed to vent my hotel pet peeve!) The bed was so luxurious with a feather topped mattress and fluffy comforter. It is very quiet, you never hear anything outside or in the hallway.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple