“Great Stay”

Sofitel Philadelphia
Ranked #10 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I recently stayed for 2 nights on a mini getaway in the City. Very pleasant reception staff upon arrival. We were able to check into our room at 10:30 on a Saturday which was great. I was concerned about the noise as our room was across from the elevators, but it was the "2nd bedroom" of the 2 bedroom suites... so we were in an enclave with the suite, though we each had our own rooms, while being closed off from the rest of the hallway. It was great except the people in the suite next two us had a bad habit of letting their door slam.

Excellent bed - I described it as a marshmallow. You completely sink into it. Loved the shower, bathroom was very nice. Room was clean, albeit the sparse furniture was showing signs of wear. We requested extra towels, which were delivered before I even hung the phone up. Bellmen and valet were fantastic! Drinks were way over priced, but that's Center City.

We got a great deal on the room, and when that rate is available again in the future, I will surely stay here. Also - very convenient to Suburban Station. If you are able to train it in- do so and avoid the parking fee.

1  Thank KathleenW958
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear KathleenW958,

I am so pleased you were able to enjoy a Great Stay with us! We certainly take pride in our "SoBed" which has become a favorite among our guests for a perfect night's sleep.

We will look forward to welcoming you back again!

Warmest regards,
Vincent

Write a ReviewReviews (3,402)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Let me start with the positives:
Location is great.
Hotel is clean.
Bathroom is nice.
Did I mention the location?
But it just seemed average overall for a Sofitel and a four star hotel.
We were not wowed, and I doubt I'll return with so many other options.
Service was just okay, and I observed staff being less than polished professionals on a few occasions (and we stayed just one night). Example: housekeeping staff member walking by me in hallway complaining loudly to another staff member down the hall about a lack of vacuum cleaners. Um, I think that can wait until you get closer and do not have to yell it as I go by.
Another example: arrived at lobby bar and sat for at least 5 minutes before I even saw a staff member (no one behind bar). And bar was pretty crowded for a Saturday afternoon. Waited another 5 minutes before I was welcomed and offered a menu. Just felt like something was off there.
Fitness Center had nice equipment options.
Our rate was great, our sleep was fine, our stay was average. We expected more.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear smep013,

Our downtown location is absolutely convenient, as many shops, historical sites, and restaurants are just steps away. In addition, the layout of our bathrooms has certainly become a favorite for our guests with the soaking tub and separate stand up shower.

I am disappointed to hear about your experience with our Housekeeping and Liberte bar ambassadors. I will share your feedback with my Director of Operations, as your experiences are certainly not up to our standards.

I thank you for taking the time to share your comments, and I hope that you may return to the Sofitel Philadelphia to indulge in all that we have to offer and experience the exemplary level of service we have become known for.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I'll make this short and sweet:
Staff: was awesome. Very welcoming and very helpful.
Room: Needs a little updating in the bathroom. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall. There was also a horrible cover-up paint job done around the moldings.
Bed was super comfy. The pillows were the icing on he cake! My husband and I are actually going to purchase them online.
Hotel Bar: Over-priced drinks.
Breakfast at Chez: Delicious food. Waitress was so sweet.

Overall: We would probably stay there again just based on location and price. But we will probably try a new spot just because we don't travel to Philly very often.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear simstar969,

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our downtown location and competitive rates. I will certainly share your comments with my team to help us as we continuously provide updates to our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia upon your next trip to Philly!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our family of five stayed in a luxury suite with an adjoining double/double (not connecting, but at the end of the corridor so that you can close and lock the outer door to make it, in actuality a two-bedroom suite. We like staying here as the service is excellent, the rooms are very comfortable and the location near Rittenhouse Square (and our favorite restaurant Parc) make it a perfect choice. The level of luxury for the price is excellent and they do quickly recognize and attend to repeat customers. The lounge now has wider food options and a nice "high tea". Breakfast is also excellent.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk before you arrive, they are always most obliging.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PhilipNewJersey

Bonjour PhilipNewJersey,

Having a strong relationship with each of our guests is extremely important to us here at the Sofitel Philadelphia, and we certainly delight in welcoming our guests back each time they arrive. I thank you for your comments on our services in Chez Colette and Liberte, and will share your feedback with our Food and Beverage Outlets Manager.

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Overall a nice property in a good location for getting out and about... but the jr. suite was not in great shape. Problem with toilet (water kept running), room was not cleaned well (layer of dust on the doors and closet shelves), and the in-room safe didn't work. Housekeeping needs to be improved here to make the stay worth the $.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear ueni,

I am pleased you found the Sofitel Philadelphia to be a nice property and enjoyed our downtown location. However, I am disappointed to read about the issues you experienced with the room conditions. These issues certainly are not customary and are not up to the level of service that is our standard.

I hope that you may grant us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to experience all that we have to offer and the exceptional level of service we have become known for.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The six day trip at Philadelphia is a great choice together with a great staying at Sofitel. A typical Sofitel Hotel as all over the world Accor standards , but little bit more proffesional !!! The position of the hotel is near to everything with easy acces to all things to do in Philly.Looking forward to seeing soon again Philly and Sofitel................!!! Thank You.

1  Thank Giannis_Anna96
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Bonjour Giannis_Anna96,

It is our delight that you had the opportunity to stay with us while visitng Philadelphia. I thank you for sharing such beautiful photos from your experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel on your next trip to Philly!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Sofitel was just the sort of the boutique hotel that I was looking for when I went to my 30th Medical School reunion at Penn. The staff went out of their way to be accommodating even though renovation was going on. The room was first rate and the amenities were also. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room and I became addicted to French Roast. The European influence was everywhere. I have been to Paris and loved it. I will look for the Sofitel chain when I go to other major cities.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary M
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Mary M,

Here at the Sofitel we are proud to offer a style of service that blends French luxury with our local Philadelphia culture. These links can be found throughout our hotel including cuisine, design, amenities, and many other elements.

It is our delight that you will be seeking our sister properties, and I invite you to reach out to us at any time to assist with information on other Sofitel properties.

We look forwad to welcoming you back!

Warmest regards,