“Watch your bank account closely!”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Watch your bank account closely!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel itself was beautiful but their accounting system is a nightmare!

Not only did they try to charge us twice for breakfast but they charged our stay twice. I used my card to check in early and than once our other party arrived we switched cards. Both cards were charged $500 for the stay.

This just ruins any good thought I had about the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sarah w
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear sarah w,

I am disappointed to read your feedback.
We take great care in all of our accounting transactions and have highly trained ambassadors who utilize the credit card systems. I encourage you to call our Accounting Department at 215-564-7035 so that we may discuss any outstanding concerns you may have.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and found our hotel to be beautiful, and I thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Vincent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sofitel for our 5 year wedding anniversary. As tradition, we come to Rittenhouse square area every year to celebrate our anniversary - the place where we had our first date and where we were engaged.

I was so excited to be staying at a new hotel this year which was prompted by a living social deal I noticed. Our experience was anything but exciting. My check in experience was horrible. Upon check in I was directed to use the computer to provide a printout of my coupon. When I logged in the deal was marked as redeemed by the hotel the day prior. It took reservations 20 minutes to convey to the front desk that all deals were marked redeemed so that they was no risk of double redemption on their part. I was sitting waiting for a response & resolution and had to go up to the front desk when I realized the gentleman had returned and proceed to check in other guests- not even acknowledging me. I then had to jump through additional hoops to create a screenshot of my passbook coupon that showed my voucher number on my phone, email it to myself, login through your computer, and then print it out. The only way a redeemed voucher with number could be printed. The hotel was not able to use my phone as proof or scan the QR code for redemption. All of this could have been solved by the hotel alerting us to needing a printout when we booked our reservation, or the two additional times I called to request an early check in. The room was on a high floor and offered us a lot of light which was lovely. I was surprised that we had no flat sheet on our bed, only fitted. There was a huge burn mark on the table in our room. The wine flight included in our living social deal was never offered or served to us. And a minibar key was never given to us upon check in. Breakfast was the only thing during our stay that I would have considered up to par. Our server Miguel was top notch and offered us exceptional service. He deserves a raise and accolades as a member of your staff. Imagine my shock and awe when I checked my credit card statement after arriving home and noticed not one but two pending charges on my card totaling $400. Apparently their accounting, front desk and reservation departments need a better system.

We normally stay at the Palomar across the street and have never had a bad stay there or at any one of their other properties. I can not believe I ever thought to book elsewhere. Sadly the Sofitel lost the opportunity to win our business or a positive endorsement to any friends or family we know.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank summrbaby
Dear summrbaby,

It is disappointing that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.

I am pleased that you have spoken with my Director of Guest Services regarding your experience, and that he was able to assist in clarifying and rectifying some of the concerns you shared.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback so that we may continuously provide enhancements to the services we offer to our guests.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sofitel to celebrate a special occasion. It is our second visit here, and it's great to be back! What I love about this hotel is it's intimacy - the staff are wonderful and the room is beautiful and quiet. Everything feels luxurious, and the management even sent up a tray of gorgeous little pastries for our celebration. We're coming back next time!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maya N
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Maya N,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your special occasion with us!

It is certainly our pleasure when we have the opportunity to surprise our guests with unique amenities, such as the pastries, to create a special experience here at the Sofitel.

We look forward to having you back!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Valet parking was smooth and friendly, lobby clean and handsomely decorated, reception efficient and friendly. The building itself is not the most attractive, with relatively small windows (unlike the floor to ceiling glass in, say, the Sofitel Montreal), but the rooms are spacious, decorated in typical Sofitel French contemporary style, and clean. Overall, a comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kurt M
Dear Kurt M,

It is our pleasure to have welcomed you to the Sofitel Philadelphia to enjoy a clean, comfortable, and pleasant stay!

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

First visit to Philadelphia for work. I'd say this hotel is slightly below par for what you would usually expect from a Sofitel, particularly one primarily catering to business travellers.

This hotel is fine, that's it. No massive concerns, the rooms had decent beds and the bathrooms were clean. My room was dark all day and looked over a loading bay but this didn't bother me. The rooms were alright, a bit chipped/faded here and there but no major issues.

The lobby bar was probably the highlight, nice staff with a great drinks list and relaxed, trendy atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear London20142014,

I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and I am delighted that you were able to enjoy Liberte, our urban chic lounge. I am disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations. Prior to your next arrival, please alert our Guest Services team that you would like a room that allows ample sunlight throughout the day and we will do our best to accommodate that for you.

I hope that you may return soon so that we can provide you with the exemplary experience we have become known for providing.

Hamilton Square
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Your hotel was just what I was looking for -- convenient location, attractive atmosphere, ease of booking, very accommodating and reasonably priced! Thank you. If I ever need to return to Philadelphia again for an extended period, or just one night, I would definitely rebook your hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

1 Thank Rose Mary Y
Dear Rose Mary Y,

I am delighted that we were able to provide all that you were looking for from booking your reservation to the atmosphere and accommodations provided upon your arrival.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia again soon!

Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was very pleased with my recent stay here. The front desk gave me a complimentary upgrade to a suite, and my room had a plate of small pastries, a huge bottle of water and several smaller ones, Godiva chocolates, slippers, nice toiletries, French magazines, etc. As you'd expect from the Sofitel, the service was top-notch and friendly without being intrusive. Breakfast was very good, and reasonable.

Room Tip: I had a suite in the back, and heard very little street noise.