“Place to stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
florida
“Place to stay”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The manager of the hotel and the overall staff are very good. Accomadations terrific. Location of the hotel was perfect. the room was large and clean. Parking in the front was tight. Card for elevator was a bit of a pain.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear STRAIGHTFORWARD1,

What a fantastic 5 star review! I am pleased that you enjoyed our spacious room and found your accommodations to be terrific.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, I hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia again soon!

Vincent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights when a severe ice storm created power outages in much of the surrounding suburbs of Philadelphia. It was a lovely refuge in a lovely setting and in a very convenient location.
The staff in the breakfast restaurant, Chez Colette, were delightful. They addressed me by name and our waiter, Miguil, offered to bring my partner eggs over easy separately so that he could enjoy the buffet without having to eat the scrambled eggs. Loved the mini pain aux raisins pastries!

Our room was on the 14th floor, quiet, away from the elevator, and well appointed with Lanvin bathroom products. When the TV reception was snowy, an engineer came up right away to try to fix the issue. Ultimately, it was not something in his control. I had to call once more to ask the deadbolt to be fixed. The door was not aligned to allow the deadbolt to be thrown and so, for security's sake, we just used the chain lock while we were in the room. They offered to move us to another room but by then, we decided to just stay put.

I had reserved on their website and the promotion that included breakfast on a weekend was a very good deal ($175) since the breakfast buffet is $20 pp and I would recommend this highly. There is free Wifi in the rooms and plenty of convenient electrical outlets. We did not look over Rittenhouse Square so it was not as scenic, but at night you could look out above the neighboring buildings and see the skyline of Philadelphia.

We walked to dinners at Parc and Tequila's and to lunch at Oyster House. Window shopped on Walnut Street. Bought warm chocolate chip cookies at Insomnia Cookies. Would stay there again!

Room Tip: High floor away from elevator. You have to walk further but it is more quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear L L C,

An ice storm creating power outages is certainly not an ideal situation, but I am delighted that we had the opportunity to welcome you to a warm and comfortable "refuge" here in Philadelphia.

It is our pleasure that you enjoyed all that we have to offer here from breakfast in Chez Colette to our downtown location offering just a short walk to shops and restaurants.

Thank you for taking the time to share such lovely feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed at the Sofitel Philadelphia the first weekend in February with my Significant--it was her first visit to the city, and I was returning to my hometown to celebrate a friends birthday at Di Bruno Brothers--a terrific gourmet cheese shop right around the corner from the hotel. The weather was pleasant--sunny, even--for February in Philadelphia, which gave us the opportunity to stroll the beautiful Rittenhouse Square area and nearby shopping district on Chestnut Street (though it's more fun to check out the niche shops, bars, and restaurants on Sansom Street).

The Sofitel is ideally located for enjoying this area of Philadlphia. Dozens of outstanding restaurants, museums, bars, taverns, etc., are just outside the hotel's doors. However, the Sofitel is enjoyable enough on its own that you might be tempted not to leave. We stayed in a suite that was perfect for relaxing after taking in the neighborhood by foot. We enjoyed a cheese and fruit plate in the sitting area of the suite before venturing out for the evening--and then returned to an amazing sleep on the most comfortable bed (love the pillow-top mattress) I've experienced in a hotel in a long time. We appreciatedt the Hermes amenities in the bathroom and the bottled water on every table in the suite. The service was also terrific--understated in delivery, but still personalized. The French touches are a nice change--fortunately, the staff kept the French simple for someone like me who forgot my high-school French lessons far to long ago. The bell and valet staff were prompt and smiling, despite challenges moving cars in and out of a tight front entrance. Philadelphia can be a pain for parking, so paying for valet at the Sofitel is worth it.

I recommend this hotel for couples who are visiting Philadelphia for special events or a romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Prof_K_934,

It is our pleasure that you chose to stay with us upon your return to Philadelphia with your Significant!

We provide many touches of french elegance throughout our hotel and within our amenities to provide for a truly luxurious and unique experience for our guests, and I thank you for pointing this out.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia upon your next return!

Warm regards,
Michigan
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stay in a Sofitel property whenever I can (NYC, DC, Chicago) and the Philadelphia Sofitel
is now equal to those others. The refurbishment of the rooms has made a difference from
my last stay there in May 2012 when it was looking tattered. The staff overall is what help make
a luxury property just that and the Philly men & women truly added to my experience. The hotel's
location is ideal by foot, taxi or public transportation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear GRD1834,

We are certainly excited about our recent room renovations, and I am delighted that you have had the opportunity to return and experience them!

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful 5 star review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia!

Warm regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel itself was beautiful but their accounting system is a nightmare!

Not only did they try to charge us twice for breakfast but they charged our stay twice. I used my card to check in early and than once our other party arrived we switched cards. Both cards were charged $500 for the stay.

This just ruins any good thought I had about the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sarah w
Dear sarah w,

I am disappointed to read your feedback.
We take great care in all of our accounting transactions and have highly trained ambassadors who utilize the credit card systems. I encourage you to call our Accounting Department at 215-564-7035 so that we may discuss any outstanding concerns you may have.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and found our hotel to be beautiful, and I thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sofitel for our 5 year wedding anniversary. As tradition, we come to Rittenhouse square area every year to celebrate our anniversary - the place where we had our first date and where we were engaged.

I was so excited to be staying at a new hotel this year which was prompted by a living social deal I noticed. Our experience was anything but exciting. My check in experience was horrible. Upon check in I was directed to use the computer to provide a printout of my coupon. When I logged in the deal was marked as redeemed by the hotel the day prior. It took reservations 20 minutes to convey to the front desk that all deals were marked redeemed so that they was no risk of double redemption on their part. I was sitting waiting for a response & resolution and had to go up to the front desk when I realized the gentleman had returned and proceed to check in other guests- not even acknowledging me. I then had to jump through additional hoops to create a screenshot of my passbook coupon that showed my voucher number on my phone, email it to myself, login through your computer, and then print it out. The only way a redeemed voucher with number could be printed. The hotel was not able to use my phone as proof or scan the QR code for redemption. All of this could have been solved by the hotel alerting us to needing a printout when we booked our reservation, or the two additional times I called to request an early check in. The room was on a high floor and offered us a lot of light which was lovely. I was surprised that we had no flat sheet on our bed, only fitted. There was a huge burn mark on the table in our room. The wine flight included in our living social deal was never offered or served to us. And a minibar key was never given to us upon check in. Breakfast was the only thing during our stay that I would have considered up to par. Our server Miguel was top notch and offered us exceptional service. He deserves a raise and accolades as a member of your staff. Imagine my shock and awe when I checked my credit card statement after arriving home and noticed not one but two pending charges on my card totaling $400. Apparently their accounting, front desk and reservation departments need a better system.

We normally stay at the Palomar across the street and have never had a bad stay there or at any one of their other properties. I can not believe I ever thought to book elsewhere. Sadly the Sofitel lost the opportunity to win our business or a positive endorsement to any friends or family we know.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank summrbaby
Dear summrbaby,

It is disappointing that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.

I am pleased that you have spoken with my Director of Guest Services regarding your experience, and that he was able to assist in clarifying and rectifying some of the concerns you shared.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback so that we may continuously provide enhancements to the services we offer to our guests.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sofitel to celebrate a special occasion. It is our second visit here, and it's great to be back! What I love about this hotel is it's intimacy - the staff are wonderful and the room is beautiful and quiet. Everything feels luxurious, and the management even sent up a tray of gorgeous little pastries for our celebration. We're coming back next time!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maya N
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Maya N,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your special occasion with us!

It is certainly our pleasure when we have the opportunity to surprise our guests with unique amenities, such as the pastries, to create a special experience here at the Sofitel.

We look forward to having you back!