“In the center of it all...”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Westchester County, New York
“In the center of it all...”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Great hotel all around. Great location, halfway between Centery City and Rittenhouse Square. Easy access to shops, restaurants and lounges. The hotel itself was a step above the rest. Staff was polite and helpful, the room was clean and comfortable. But those beds!!! When we left, we lifted up the sheets to see what kind of bed it was so we could purchase a similar one. One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Great bathroom toiletries, great room service and a very nice bar/lounge area.
We'll be back!

Room Tip: We were placed at the end of the hall where there was less traffic. Very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MRidley
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear MRidley,

What a delight to read your review! I am pleased you were able to relax and enjoy luxurious night sleep in our specially designed SoBed, which is certainly a favorite among our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Vincent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Bonjour! This greeting did not come as a surprise to my husband and me as this is a highly respected French hotel chain. We chose Sofitel due to the reputation of Sofitel and Accor (parent company) hotels around the world. The French greeting was most-welcomed as we got out of the taxi and in to some of the remaining slush and snow.
We were warmly greeted at the front desk and were given keys to our room in a timely fashion. Upon entering our very quiet room that faced Sansom Street, we found it to be very spacious. This surprised us as many big city hotels skimp on the square footage. A nice desk was big enough for our laptop and all of our papers and books. There were numerous lights to make the room bright for those long winter nights. Our king size bed was very comfortable as were the pillows.
Now, we usually do not get worked up over bathrooms, but this one is absolutely wonderful! It is so big and nice that my husband took numerous photos of it to use for our next master bathroom. There was nice glass shower stall with a rainforest shower head. Next to it was a good-sized tub that my husband used to unwind on those cold January nights. Towels in the bathroom are plentiful for the large sink area. The bathroom was big enough that my husband and I could both be in there in at the same time and not be in the way of each other. How many hotels can claim this?
The two of us took advantage of their restaurant, Chez Colette, for breakfast, especially with the weather conditions outside. Every breakfast we had was made with very fresh ingredients. Our most memorable meal was their salmon and cream cheese on a bagel. My husband is a coffee lover and says the hotel’s coffee is very good. It reminded us of some of the nice petit déjeuners we have had in France. If you are in a hurry, there is complimentary croissants, coffee, juice and water, located near the entrance of the restaurant. We do not know of many big city hotels that do this.
A couple of times we visited their bar, Liberté. It is a rather spacious place with tables, lounge chairs and a gas fireplace. The fireplace is very popular thus you have to get there early or on an evening that is not busy. A limited menu is offered at the bar and my husband ordered a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. Sofitel’s version of this Philadelphia original was very good and satisfying.
Their concierges are very helpful and patient. All of them did not mind us asking so many questions concerning the city and what services Sofitel offered as we are looking for a place for our oldest son’s wedding rehearsal dinner.
This hotel is in an excellent location in downtown Philadelphia. Walking to Rittenhouse Square and to our favorite restaurant in City Center (Parc Restaurant Bistro & Café) through the snow and slush took less than ten minutes for us. We would assume that during the rest of the year the time would be a lot shorter. Because of its location, excellent service and comfortable rooms, we will be staying here every time we are in Philadelphia to visit our oldest son.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear MagyarNC,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review of your stay with us! It is truly our pleasure that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer from our delicacies in Liberte and Chez Colette to your guest room accommodations. We excitedly await your future arrivals!

Hackettstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Staff are very friendly and efficient. Room spacious and comfortable. Love the tub and separate shower! Breakfast amazing and delicious, wanted to take chef home with us. Convenient location. Chose to stay here again after previous visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear S B,

Our guestroom bathrooms with standing shower and separate soaking tub are certainly a favorite of our guests. I am pleased you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer from accommodations and location to some of our delicacies for breakfast.

We look forward to your return!

Burke, VA
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I think the hotel was pretty nice but the arrival was sufficiently difficult that I doubt I'd ever return. I arrived at 11 AM knowing that the rooms might not be ready until 3 PM. Upon arrival, the room was not ready but I was told, repeatedly, that they should have a room ready soon. I checked back often enough that the desk staff knew me by name. 3PM came and went and I finally got into my room at around 6 PM (my meetings started at 3 PM so there was no opportunity to try again until they concluded for the day). Others at the same event had similar experience. The rooms were not ready and there were lines at the desk to find out that, no, the room was not available. It seemed like the front desk was waiting for housekeeping to release the whole hotel at the same time. The experience left me with a sense of poor organization and poor execution. People were nice enough but there were not enough of then and their answers we not very helpful (why not offer to call me when the room was ready? I've had hotels make that offer often enough.)
The room was nice but the TV picture was unwatchable. Why would a hotel invest in HD TVs (there were two) and then transit a snowy analog signal to them on virtually all the available channels?
The bathrooms were large but the shower head was so high I could not adjust it (probably more than 7 feet up on the wall.)
Rooms were well and nicely furnished although the desk was more pretty than functional - why would anyone buy a desk with a handle on the center drawer that prevents you from getting close to the desk to work?
Conference rooms were nice enough. Nothing to complain about but neither anything that is different from many other hotels.
Food was OK for conference food. Again, nothing outstanding but OK.
Prices seemed normal for a city.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mikaamma
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear mikaamma,

I am disappointed that your experience upon arrival did not meet your expectations. Check-in time is at 3:00pm and unfortunately we cannot guarantee a room prior to that. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, as we are continuously enhancing the services we offer to our guests.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia to indulge in the magnifique experience that is our custom!

Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sofitel last night for a family wedding (this is the same hotel we stayed at 5 years ago for our own wedding so we had some history and reason to believe we would get good service). While the hotel is nice and clean, the service was horrible. We booked a suite so our toddler could sleep in the living area separate from us. At midnight when we got back from the wedding, we found out that the pull out couch had no sheets on it. We called down to the front desk to ask for sheets. Were told that someone would be right up within 10 min and it would be treated as a priority since I needed to get my two year old in bed. By 12:30 we had to call down again as they still hadn't arrived, finally around 12:40 we received the sheets after being told "something came up". Then this morning when we were trying to leave it took an hour for the valet to locate and bring up our car. The valet service was complete and udder chaos. They had tickets matched with wrong cars, people whose cars were requested later leaving before people who had been waiting a long time, and no information being provided to anyone. Every time we asked about our car, it was "coming". One time around 50 min into our wait one of the attendants apologized and I told them instead of apologizing, get more help and get my car. I was told it was an outside service so there was nothing they could do. I didn't see a hotel manager arrive onto the scene until just as our car arrived and this had been going on for an hour before our wait according to other people waiting. A few people asked if they could go get their cars themselves and they would not allow it. The hotel did not seem to care about all their patrons being held hostage waiting for their cars in the front of the hotel and nothing was offered to anyone as a result of their gross disorganization. Very unprofessional for a "four" star hotel. I will not stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Jennyxobu
Bonjour Jennyxobu,

It is disappointing that your most recent stay with us did not meet your expectations, and I am pleased I had the opportunity to communicate directly with you to discuss your concerns.

I hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia soon to experience the exemplary level of service that is our custom!

Lebanon, NJ
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Within a day, I went from vacation in Paris to business trip in Philadelphia. Ouch. I arrived just after a snow storm, and the Sofitel Philadelphia was warm, welcoming and lovely. Its understated elegance, European flair, and high level of service set a perfect tone. My room on the 11th floor was large, quiet, clean, and nicely decorated. There were enough hangers to easily unpack my suitcase. The bed was a heavenly nest. Even though I was jet-lagged and longing to be in Paris, I slept well during my three-night stay. I often wondered if I were the only person in the hotel since I didn't hear the usual plumbing noises and banging doors so common in hotels. The Sofitel Philadelphia is now my favorite business hotel.
P.S. Best towels...anywhere!

Room Tip: In the higher rooms, you won't even know you are in a city.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Deb7111,

It is our pleasure that we were able to provide you with a warm, welcoming, and quiet stay in Philadelphia after your return from Paris! I am also pleased that our specially designed SoBed kept you well-rested and relaxed during your return to business. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia.