“A 5-star experience in Philly”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2014

For the price of the Sofitel’s rooms, as well as its Tripadvisor ranking, I expected much better service than what we received the weekend of 7/25-7/28/2014. Taken separately, the issues were minor; together, they constituted a nuisance I have not previously experienced at similarly-priced/-rated hotels.

We ran into problems both mornings of our stay; oddly, both involved Sofitel’s complimentary coffee. In short, housekeeping didn’t adequately stock/restock creamer, sugar, and coffee. The first morning, it took twenty minutes after we called the front desk to provide the requested items; the second, forty.

There was also an issue with the mini-fridge. I tried to check it for creamer but it was locked; this probably could have been mentioned when we checked in. After skimming over the hotel’s room ‘guide’ (in which there was no reference to the fridge being locked) I called the front desk and was told someone would soon deliver the key; this took twenty minutes. Upon opening the fridge I discovered it was completely empty; I again called the front desk and the operator was surprised, saying it should have been stocked. I explained my primary concern: I didn’t expect to find a locked, empty fridge and I didn’t want to be charged for anything I didn’t use/consume (NOTE: I was not charged). The response I received was one of slight confusion, as opposed to one of reassurance.

We spent that day at a local music festival. We returned to find that where a mostly full roll of toilet paper had been (just eight hours earlier) there was now nothing; the whole roll had been removed and there was no replacement. This was especially inconvenient for my girlfriend, who had rushed into the restroom as soon as we returned (without checking the TP situation; luckily, there was a box of tissues nearby). I called the front desk to ask for a new roll; I was asked what happened to the old one, to which I replied, “I have no idea – we left for the day and this is how it was when we came back.” Someone from housekeeping brought a new roll about twenty minutes later.

I do not complain easily; I have stayed in many hotels and had much worse experiences than this. In fact, while the Sofitel’s housekeeping service failed to meet our expectations, the overall stay was comfortable and the valet staff was among the best we’ve encountered. Still, we’ve stayed in Philly several times and never encountered these inconveniences all at once. We spent too much time waiting for housekeeping to do its job, outside the times those services should have been provided (i.e., during the day when the room was unoccupied). As a result, we spent less time enjoying the city. When staying in Philadelphia, I suggest travelers forgo the premium for the Sofitel’s lackluster service and look into the many similarly-priced/-rated options available.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BobbyRubino
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Bonjour BobbyRubino,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed review of your stay with us here at the Sofitel Philadelphia. Our guests’ feedback assists us in continuously providing enhancements to our hotel and services.

I am pleased to see that your overall stay was comfortable and our valet team provided you with exemplary service. It is disappointing to hear of your experiences with inconvenience of service to your guest room, and I would like to assure you this is certainly not the level of service that we would want you or anyone else to come to think of a Sofitel.

I hope that you may provide us the opportunity to welcome you back for the magnifique experience which has become our custom.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times and it never disappoints. The rooms are gorgeous, the doormen are very helpful, the furnishing and décor are luxurious and the staff at the front desk are very attentive. Hotel sits at a prime location with many places to go and shop all within walking distance. Public transportation is very close by as well. This hotel is by far my number one place to when booking a hotel in the city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Bonjour Miriam R,

We are delighted to be your number one hotel here in center city! Thank you for pointing out our attentive and helpful staff and luxurious guest rooms and furnishings. We excitedly await your future arrivals to the Sofitel Philadelphia.

Warm regards,
Isla Verde Carolina PR
Reviewed 29 July 2014

From the doorman outside to the restaurant personnel they make you feel more than welcomed. Upgraded due to club membership- accordhotels progam. Great spacious suite with separate bedroom. Quite relaxing room. Great restaurant breakfast offer, good choices, delicious. Many great restaurants within walking distance, no need for a car. Must visit for great imported delicacies, DiBruno Brothers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bonjour edgar5757,

Thank you for a wonderful 5 star review! Our team strives to create a unique and memorable experience for each of our guests, and I am pleased to see that you enjoyed exemplary service from our doormen at the entrance to our lovely staff in the restaurants. We look forward to your return to the Sofitel here in downtown Philadelphia.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice and clean hotel other than the fact there was mold growing behind the clear grout in the shower. There may have been more mold around the room somewhere because my asthma was really bothering me!! Otherwise very happy with our stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Huckleberry87
Bonjour Huckleberry87,

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed a nice and clean stay with us. I thank you for sharing your feedback, and am disappointed to hear of your experience with your guest room bathroom. This is certainly not customary of our hotel and not the experience we would want you or anyone else to come to think of a Sofitel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia for the magnifique stay we have become known for.

Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

No issues, comfortable night stay. Room seemed clean and well maintained! Happy with service and location. Parking was well done by valet! It was quiet in the room, good AC control since we like a cool room for sleeping.

• Stayed July 2014
Bonjour IloveUpstateNY,

Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us! I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay from our valet parking service to a quiet, cool guest room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia.

Regards,
Mequon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My son and I were on a two-week driving trip checking out colleges. We were a week into our trip, and this was our 5th hotel. When planning the trip, I was so excited to see a Sofitel in a city where we would be. I stayed at a Sofitel in London and couldn't imagine that the one in Philadelphia could possibly be as good. Luckily I was wrong. This was the best hotel of our trip.

It was nice to valet the car and be assisted with luggage. The lobby was open and bright. The lady who checked us in was very helpful and friendly.

Our room was rather large. The bathroom was fantastic! The bar in the lobby was comfortable, open, and bright.

The location is fantastic. Lots of shopping and restaurants were within walking distance.

I'm hooked on Sofitel hotels now. If my son goes to Drexel, I know exactly where I will be staying!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bonjour Ttttraveler,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your two-week driving trip! It is a very exciting time for you and your son and it is our pleasure that we could provide you with a large room, fantastic bathroom, and exemplary service during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia!

Kind regards,