“Good location !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
england
“Good location !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Lovely hotel on the edge of Chinatown, great staff and friendly service. Handy to see the sites of Philly !!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank meddlingmike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
cincinnati, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Staff at HGI, Center City was INCREDIBLE. Room was ok size for 2 adults and 2 kids but the refrigerator/freezer was extremely convenient for us. Great for keeping juice and milk cold for kids morning "pre-breakfast" cereals. The staff was what put this hotel over the edge. I've been to a couple of 5-star resorts and this staff out-classes most of them. They were incredibly helpful with directions/food tips and even handled my grumpiness with patience and a sense of humor. Not only the front desk, but the service people who had to fix my refrigerator (due to not being plugged in---duh!!) and the restaurant staff. The ONLY complaint I have is that the front desk told me the breakfast is free for kids but the restaurant kept wanting to charge us for the kids and said the front desk has been told what the price should be several times. I ended up getting free breakfast for ALL of us anyways from the front desk without me even complaining about it, just informing the front desk staff, so I can't rip them at all..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank timmythebull
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was at this location for a week last August and it was a very comfortable stay. The hotel was in the heart of downtown which made it very easy to get to the convention center and all other attractions of the city. While the beds were a little uncomfortable and it was hard to adjust them, I had no complaints about the room. The breakfast buffet every morning offered a good selection of items and there was always an omelet station where you can get one made fresh. I had a minor mishap in my room where I fell and hit my knee and when I went to the bar, the bartender was quick to get me a bag filed with ice and I was able to sit there for as long as I needed with the ice on my knee. The room rate was average for the type of hotel but the staff were always pleasant and accommodating and that made the experience all the better.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

This hotel is nicely located in area that works well for visiting the city of brotherly love.Its not a five star hotel and its not priced like one.Its location and price are right on target,its a 3&1/2 star hotel that lives up to its billing.Nice enough rooms and decor and all the amenities required for a location in the city.Well kept decor and decent from the lobby to the rooms this hotel will meet your needs and expectations if your basing the price on the rating.Not bad for the few nights we were acting like tourists and seeing the things about philly that make this place a great history of America.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I spent one night here in March. The rooms seemed like they could use sprucing up - not typical to other HGI's I stayed at. The room price was in line with other rates in the city that I looked at. I was not able to adjust my bed whatsoever so it was a rather uncomfortable nights sleep.

I had dinner upstairs at the 10th floor restaurant which was average. I just had a turkey burger with sweet potatoe fries. Service was good.

I needed a cab to take me to the 30th St. Train station the next morning but none were to be found. I had to wait while the bellman tracked one down.

Front lobby staff was very pleasant and did help ship a package via FedEx for me.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Mahwah, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

If this hotel wasn't across the street from the Convention Center, I would not have booked it to spend one night going to the Philadelphia Flower Show and have dinner with friends. We stayed here once before a few years ago and it was fine. This time it was a little less than fine.

As others have mentioned, parking is a bit of a project. You park in a commercial parking lot next door to the hotel, and for events like the flower show, it can be packed. My biggest issue with the lot is that it's quite confusing. For example, we noted our section of the lot and what floor our car was on, but when we went to retrieve our car and got off on the correct floor, we were in the red section instead of the blue section, but couldn't figure out how to get to the blue section! We walked around and ended up walking to a different elevator to find it.

The hotel itself is a bit dated in decor and in the condition of some of the furnishings, but it's comfortable enough. The staff is always friendly, the room comes with a mini-fridge, and the location is perfect for Convention Center stuff. We didn't have very much time for this trip, so we basically dropped our bags off in the room and headed out for the night. Upon returning we discovered that a bedside lamp wouldn't turn on for 10 minutes, the duvet cover had black lint on it, and, most importantly, once we crawled into bed the strong, sickening odor of cigarette smoke wafted in. This is a non-smoking hotel. We called the front desk and they said that even though it's non-smoking "people do what they want to do," but said they'd send security to roam the halls and try and discover the source of the smoke. I mentioned that this is quite a problem as my husband has asthma. In the meantime they suggested we close our bathroom door. I have to say, it has been a very long time since cigarette smoke was an issue in a hotel room.

The next morning we found an apology note with some breakfast coupons and a promise of awarding us a small amount of Hilton Hhonors points (1000, I believe). The gesture was appreciated, but we didn't feel great. Upon checkout we mentioned the lamp and the duvet and also the cigarette smoke, and one of the attendants who was nearby took it upon herself to credit our bill by $50 -- we really were happy that she was listening as the young man who was checking us out was just noting our complaints but didn't offer anything. I have to note here that although we were given some points and a bit off our bill, we've had hotels (including Hilton family hotels) offer more in compensation for lesser problems, but we did not ask for more.

Once home we got an email from the manager, asking about our experience. I basically wrote him a version of this review, and he thanked me and said the comments would be discussed with his staff and he was glad we were compensated.

This hotel is next door to Reading Terminal Market, across from the convention center, and walkable to many Center City restaurants, so its location is its best feature. However, I think next time we'll go with a better hotel that isn't as conveniently located.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The only reason I don't give this hotel 5/5 is that the parking situation is not ideal. They share a parking lot with the Philadelphia Convention Center so if you are staying in the hotel while a convention is going on, be prepared to wait in line for a long time to find a spot. My husband and I went for a night away (we live in PA), and spent a long time trying to get a parking spot. Part of me understands that's the nature of the beast, staying in a city. On the other hand, they could have reserved a certain floor of the garage for hotel guests (instead of having you pay the additional fee) and had additional access points so you don't have to sit in lines with convention traffic. No biggie though, just be warned!

Other than that, great location, great hotel, clean, courteous staff, nice hotel!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple