“Good location for city access and main tourist sites.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #36 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Tampa, Florida
“Good location for city access and main tourist sites.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

We arrived late on a Friday night and were quite nervous about the area driving in. The hotel is in Chinatown and driving in from the airport there were unsavory characters gathered on the corners, including several woman that looked, ahem, for hire. The hotel parking is a public garage next to the hotel. It was well-staffed and lit, but I think about $26/per day. When we booked we were able to pay an extra $15 on the room rate to have parking included, which saved us $11/day. Hotel lobby was very clean and the check-in staff prompt and pleasant. We asked for a recommendation for a restaurant still serving food at 11pm and were directed to walk two bocks down to Ly Michaels. It was not the direction we had driven in from, and didn't feel unsafe walking in that area.

Ly Michaels is a restaurant with bar that becomes 21+ at night, moves the tables and has a live DJ. I think they were done serving but set up a table in the corner for us to sit down and have a regular meal away from the bar guests. The food was quite good.

Our room at the Hilton Garden was on the 9th floor, had a view of the top of the parking garage I think. Room was clean. Bathroom had standard free amenities. Free wi-fi in the room. The breakfast buffet was included for us as Hilton Gold members. Service was very friendly. Food was OK but I think if we'd had to pay for it we'd have gone next door to the Reding Marking instead. There is a Wawa across the street from the hotel. 'Wawa' in PA is a convenience store and not what you call 'water' when you're talking to your pets.

From the hotel, it's about a 20 min walk though downtown to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. We reserved our spot in advance for Ind. Hall for the Saturday before Memorial Day. Our tour was at 11:30, and by then tickets were sold out for the day for walk-up visitors. The line for the Liberty Bell was outside that building the entire day, but getting in line halfway down the side of the building was only about a 5 minute wait to get through the doors.

From there it was another 10 minute walk down Market St towards Christ Chuch. There was a lot of restaurants and little shops on Market. Had cheesesteaks at Sonnys at Market & 3rd at the recommendation of one of the US Parks guide at Ind. Hall. We had cheesesteaks again the next day in the Italian Market at the (supposedly famous) Pat's, and we both thought that Sonny's was better in both taste and service. The workers at Pat's were unnecessarily rude, with the drink service guy banging on the glass and yelling at customers that weren't at the window yet.

There is a restaurant in the hotel that we did not visit. I believe there's an indoor pool as well that we also didn't see.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Pa.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2009

Stayed here one night. Check in.out was easy and the staff was nice.
Double bed room and the beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Nice TV to watch. The parking was $24.00 for one day but I guess you have to expect that in the heart of the city. Overall, not a bad stay. Close to all things that interested us.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Scranton PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

The hotel was centrally located and easy to find from the major highways. The room was small, but the bed was very comfortable, and the refrigerator was a plus. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom which was odd. All in all, I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

I stayed here once in March 09 on my business trip. good hotel. nice staff. Being a Hilton Gold, I was upgraded. stayed on the 7th floor. The room was good, decent size Jr. suite. Was invited to Manager's reception (Wednesdays - 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm), which is like other Hilton lounge's - free drinks and snacks. Many dining options around the hotel - I decided to pick up some food from a Chinese place just opposite to the hotel which was very cheap and delicious. The hotel is located opposite to a greyhound bus station so many other dining options, including MAGGIANO'S or the reading terminal (which closes at 8 pm) just a 5 minute walk from the Hotel, also the Liberty bell was around 10 minutes walk. They have good HOT breakfast with made to order omlets ( which was free for me as a Gold member) in the 10 floor restaurant - nice view of the downtown too. The pool is good, like any other Hilton Garden. The gym, though I did not use, looked good with several equipments and music. The staff is friendly and helpful. It takes about 30 minutes drive from PHL airport - I used the Lady liberty shuttle - about $10 each way.
I have stayed at Hampton Inn in Philadelphia city center which is just 5 minutes away from the Hilton garden. The garden inn is better than the Hampton but more expensive. I think I will do the Hampton Inn if its at least 30-40$ cheaper than garden Inn.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Canberra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

We are staying in this hotel right now, we are here for a conference and have stayed 3 out of our 8 nights so far.
The bad: We are part of a group and almost all members of the group have had issues with the beds in their rooms. The sofa beds are terrible unless you are a banana as that is the shape of the mattress! The so called sleep number beds don't seem to work very well and are mostly too soft. One member of the group had a fridge that didn't work and only found this out after their newly purchased food got warm.
The good: The hotel has been quick to try and fix all problems and the staff are very nice. The hotel is right next door to the Reading Terminal market which is fabulous for purchasing food, we can all recommend Tootsie's for great home cooking and the freshest salads which you serve yourself and pay for by the pound ($4.99 per pound). I fed my family tonight for $23!
A bit more bad: I find the hotel quite noisy, outside noise that is. traffic noise is very loud and goes all night, have been woken by sirens, honking horns and reversing trucks at all hours. maybe other rooms are quieter on a different side of the hotel.
The rooms are very nice, we are in a junior suite which is very spacious with a bedroom area and a sitting area and desk with free wireless internet. bathroom is a good size but can someone please explain why when they must know there are four people registered in this room, they leave three towels every day? This is very annoying since we have to then go and get/ask for an extra towel, so the next day they take four away and again leave three!
The room also has a microwave which is handy and there is a small supermarket just across the street and a Walgreens and CVS nearby.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2009

We stayed one night at this property. I booked thru Priceline and paid $45. The hotel is located in/near Chinatown. The area seemed a little seedy. But the hotel was very nice and the staff was great. They upgraded us to a "suite" room on the top floor, which my daugthers loved. The room was clean and comfortable with free wireless access, two flat panels tvs and very nice bedding. My Daughters used the pool which was clean and well kept. We ate a late dinner at the Restaurant and the wait staff was very friendly and accomodating.
Upon check out the next morning, the staff was again very friendly and helpful with directions.
The only thing I did not realize, as it is not disclosed on any website for the property, is that you have to pay $26 to park in the attatched garage....we were told that if we parked on the street, our car would more than likely be broken into.. We paid the $26!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, IL, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2009

The Good:

General location is excellent and close to all downtown attractions. Right behind the Reading Market which is a plus. Adjacent to the convention center and one block to SEPTA which has trains to/from the aiport that take about 25 minutes.

Every employee I encountered was friendly, welcoming and competent. In fact, the high level of customer service was something I made particular note--everyone from the housekeeper to the manager was excellent and clearly trying very hard.

Business center was a plus--free internet, printer and copy machine, plus wireless printing from your laptop.

The tiny bar on the 10th floor was entertaining.

The Odd:

Yes, the entrance is oddly located--sort of under the convention center parking garage and across the street from Greyhound station. However, I never felt unsafe, even late at night.

Guest rooms are only on floors 7-10, lobby on ground level.

The Not so Good:

Breakfast food was no better than O.K. I had free breakfast coupons, but I would not have been willing to pay for the food. This seems to be a chronic problem with US Hiltons though.

Both nights woken up in the middle of the night by "unsavory" guests with poor grammar shouting in the hallway.

No movies or in-room check out.

No hot water on my second morning. This was clearly the most troubling aspect of my stay. Was offered 5,000 Honors Points when I checked out.

Minor peeve--my room was directly across the staff room that housed the laundry and back of house. Door was always open. Kind of annoying to see that every time I came and went.

Overall, would I stay here again? Yes. The location is great and I got a great price. I'll take the manager's word that the hot water situation was an aberration (the guy was so darn nice!) Would choose to have a really yummy breakfast at the entertaining Reading Market just around the corner instead of the hotel though.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)