“bad food, not worth it”
Review of Union Trust Steakhouse - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Went there for my husbands 35th birthday. Sat down, ordered crispy calamari, Aged NY Strip medium plus, side of potatoes, and chicken entree. Calamari arrived soon, tasted so so, pretty mediocre. The entrees arrived about 1 whole hour later! The steak was cool(not hot), it was also all soft, like it was boiled or sat somewhere under a lamp, and it tasted bad. I mean Applebees could have done this, not a $45+ steak. The chicken was hot but tasteless. Called manager, they were apologetic, offered another steak, but who wants to wait after being there 1.5 hours? told us it was comped, gave us free desert, bill came to be $35!!! What, they made us pay for the dinner sides, awful. We still tipped another $20.

There are newer reviews for Union Trust Steakhouse

Reviewed 6 November 2012

The building is beautiful; the service was mostly wonderful. The bacon and scallops appetizer was amazing - absolutely incredible. However, the steak was far from living up to our expectations. I order fried onions on the filet, and my husband had the garlic rub on the porterhouse - both were just very dry. I would expect that from a chain - not from a well-known, expensive steakhouse. Next time, we will be trying a different steakhouse.

Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

This place is one of our favorites in Philly. Just a gorgeous building! The steaks and seafood are equally tasty and the bar is a lot of fun!

Reviewed 28 October 2012

My husband and I went there last night to celebrate a graduation. We arrived 15 minutes early for a reservation and was seated immediately. Every aspect of this visit was amazing! Our server was Colin and he was phenomenal. He knew the menu inside and out and gave us great suggestions of what to get. We had crab cakes, lobster bisque, filet mignon, porterhouse, baked potato and brussel sprouts, every item was perfect and delicious! The atmosphere was so unique and beautiful it made the whole experience amazing. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

My husband and I reserved a table for 6pm on a Saturday night. It was very quiet, only 4 tables seated in the whole place, probably because most people eat dinner later, but we were going to a performance later that evening. The steakhouse itself was absolutely gorgeous, and we had a great view of the entire restaurant. As I mentioned, it was very quiet, but yet we were seated in the upstairs, far back. I have mixed feelings on this, but I got some great pics.

He ordered the salmon, which came with a really nice roasted carrot and fennel...stew. It tasted nice, but looked like stew. The salmon was a perfect medium. I ordered the filet steak, which came on a big, white plate of...nothing. We got sides of yukon gold mashed potatoes, which were beautifully creamy, and roasted brussels sprouts, which were not all that exciting. I have cooked roasted brussels sprouts before and had them come out beautifully carmelized, but these were not exciting and came with chunks of bacon that I did not immediately recognize as bacon. Eh.

I cut into my steak and it looked beautifully medium like I wanted it, but the top of it was BURNT. I believe the definition of medium is with a warm, red center, but not with a burnt, crispy outside. My husband didn't like it either. I mentioned this to the waiter, and he agreed that no, the steak shouldn't be burnt. The manager came over and apologized as well. They gave us a new steak and it was just what we wanted: not quite melt-in-your mouth, but a warm, red center and nothing burnt...only steak taste. Much better. They even threw in a dessert even though we weren't interested in eating more.

I felt disappointed that a quiet restaurant would overdo a steak and seat us in the very back. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love our meal either.