“National Museum of Jewish History - must see”

National Museum of American Jewish History
New York to Philadelphia Day Trip by Rail
Ranked #9 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Museum offers tickets for Adults (ages 22-64) $12, Youths (ages 13-21) $11, Children (12-under) free, Active Military (with ID) free, Seniors (65+) $11. This museum offers dynamic and always intriguing exhibits. The history and evolution of the American Jewish community from colonial times onward is chronicled.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Mordern, well, laid out; easy to explore in one vist of many visits. very educational; helped better understand pieces of US Jewish History. Better for adults than for children.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I purchased tickets through Groupon to this museum without really knowing anything about it. I can say that my family was pleasantly surprised to find four fabulous floors of fully developed exhibits chronicling the vast historical influence of the Jews in America. There were exhibits throughout the museum for every age group in our family.
We especially enjoyed the interactive story map, the exhibit on suburbanization of the Jews, and the Issues room where sticky notes can be filled out in answer to certain topics and hung on black walls where ones image is captured and shown as almost a ghost image on the wall after a few moments.
We learned so many things that most museums never touch upon when mentioning Jewish history. We enjoyed the little theater where a film was shown that documented the influence of Jews in the entertainment industry, and found it fascinating that many Jewish actors, etc. Americanized their last names so as not to reveal their heritage. At the end of our visit we were given the opportunity to enter one of two mini video recording rooms where we were able to record a video discussing our family's own heritage. These videos are then played on a larger screen in the museum for other visitors to watch and can also be emailed to oneself.
Throughout our visit, the docents and other employees showed an incredible sense of care and pride in their museum! They were helpful and informative and very interested in our feedback.
On a final note, this museum houses a kosher cafe, which we didn't have time to enjoy, and a wonderful gift shop filled with the most beautiful, artistically crafted menorahs, mezuzah, and other lovely gift items.
I highly recommend a visit to this important museum while visiting Philadelphia. Make sure you have plenty of time to savor everything, including the beauty of the modern building itself.
Enjoy!

3  Thank tenmoreyears
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Recently visited the Museum and had a nice time. I'm a huge history buff. I really liked the layout of the different floors with the timeline. The artifacts were interesting and the visit was very educational. Took about 3 hours to go through and I read a lot of the information that was provided. Location is awesome right by the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Cost was very reasonable. Museum was clean and spacious. I saw many people of all ages enjoying themselves. Beautifully well done. Can't wait to go back with my family.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Modern museum that gives a great history of Jews in America. Great for Jews and non-Jews who want a sense of the contributions of the Jewish people in America.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

The truth is I thought this would be a big Isreali stroking festival. I was very much mistaken. The museum covered four floors, was nicely layed out and covered the history of the Jewish people without pushing opinions or politics on us. There were displays on where and when the Jews emigrated, the customs and traditions they took with them, social contributions, synagogues, religious artifacts, the famous, infamous and celebrities and scientific contributions as well as the founding of Isreal. I even enjoyed the gift shop. The entire museum can be covered in about four hours if you spend time reading most of the displays. Otherwise, three hours will suffice. FYI, the gift shop and the admission desk will not take cash on Saturdays. The cafe is also closed Saturdays.

1  Thank Amys_husband