“Must GO!”

Rosenbach Museum and Library
Ranked #103 of 458 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rosenbach Museum & Library seeks to inspire curiosity, inquiry, and creativity by engaging broad audiences in exhibitions, programs and research based on its remarkable and expanding collections. With an outstanding collection of rare books, manuscripts, furniture, and art, the Rosenbach is a museum and world-renowned research library, set within two historic 1865 townhouses, that reflects an age when great collectors lived among their treasures.
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Gorgeous museum. There was a whole exhibit for Where The Wild Things Are that was breathtaking. I love the iron art.

1  Thank Christen M

Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stumbled on this historic house/library while we ambled around Rittenhouse Square. There is an excellent guided tour offered.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

The Rosenbach Museum & Library in Philadelphia is located on Delancey Place between 20th and 21st street. This hidden gem of the city offers visitors the opportunity to learn about the Rosenbach family, as well as see their extremely rare book collection, which is what I found to be the highlight of the tour, which lasts about 1 hour. The tour is given by a very knowledgeable guide, which definitely helps to enhance the experience. You'll get to see rare books such as Alice In Wonderland, Moby Dick, Ulysses and The Bible. The reason why these books are rare are explained on the tour, which is what makes this visit so unique

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I had a Living Social offer for the Rosenbach that I bought last October. Last week I realized that the promotional value was about to expire, so we drove into Philadelphia to see what the attraction was all about.

Tours are given on the hour, and the tour is really how one sees the museum and the rooms in the house. Our docent was fantastic! She clearly loved talking about the brothers and their family history. She certainly knew her way around the place and had lots of fascinating stories to tell.

I truly felt part of some bygone era as we went from room to room and then into the library portion itself. The contrast of rare manuscripts from hundreds of years ago with today's ebooks was certainly on my mind.

Our docent told us how if we wanted to see a particular volume, we could call the librarian, make an appointment at no additional charge, and come see the actual book.

The Rosenbach also houses a substantial Maurice Sendak collection on the first floor.

This gem of a museum is located in a beautiful neighborhood, another plus to a visit.

Highly recommended for book lovers!

Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

I went to Rosenbach museum last week and did not quite know what to expect.

I soon understood that to see the most interesting parts of the collection one needed to take a guided tour. I was the only person taking the tour and had a great time learning about the Rosenbach brothers, the social and intellectual life on Philadelphia and US, James Joyce's Ulysses manuscript, manuscript collecting, seeing all the great manuscripts and art and antiques.

The tour was great; bur the best thing is that everyone can visit Rosenbach museum and study original manuscripts for free. You only need an appointment.