“This Restaurant is Closed...... but they had great food and wonderful ambiance. ...I will miss this place.”
Review of Chifa - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: 7th Street
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Wonderful place sad to see that they have closed down .... still dreaming of a sandwich I had there.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Visited Chifa on business with about 30 other individuals. The basement room was reserved for us and we were quite nervous about the wide variety of cultures that we had with us enjoying the unique cuisine. Everyone loved it! Even if this is not what you typically "go" for, you should definitely try it. The food is within everyone's comfort level and tastes absolutely incredible. There was never a bad thing said. Service was incredible as well!

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

I kinda expected a watered down version of a great chefs food, but no it's legit. Great boa buns and wings.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

So Sunday was the last day of the 4th of July holiday weekend and I was bored. So I called a friend and we hopped the train from Connecticut and headed to Philly so we could experience Iron Chef Jose Garces' Chifa. So there was a lot riding on this little meal.

Chifa did not disappoint. We ordered the chef's tasting menu and it was thoughtful and balanced. Bright and flavorful ceviches, delicious Thai beef salad with peanut sauce (the beef was a big punch of flavor), manchego biscuits with guava butter (!), luscious duck tacos, juicy chicken wontons, sweet and spicy pork ribs (a little overcooked but an excellent flavor profile), fried rice with shrimp (perfectly cooked), Chinese five-spice pork (tender and perfectly seasoned), and finally lemon curd (so lemony it made my mouth water) with a perfect little meringue on top and served with dulce de leche and shortbread cookie sandwiches (OMG). The pisco sour had a tart flavor followed by a little hit of sweetness and the alcohol did not overwhelm. The sangria delicious as well.

I may go back just to spend the afternoon eating those beautiful oysters, duck tacos, manchego biscuits, and shortbread cookies. Give yourself a treat and go enjoy a wonderful meal served by a staff who is knowledgable and excited about the food they are sharing with you.

As far as who should visit, it's excellent for couples - the dim lighting and rich red walls lend a lot of ambiance. Friends will have a great time tasting and sharing all of the dishes, and if you have adventurous eaters in your family, then definitely give it a shot.

3  Thank MsMely
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Many people know that, in the last half of the nineteenth century, Chinese workers came to the U.S. to help build our railroads. What I didn’t know until recently was that Chinese workers were hired in both North and South America. Those who came to Peru fused their cooking with native dishes to create a new type of cuisine. It is on that tradition that Chifa has built a wonderful Asian fusion menu. When my wife and I went to Chifa the first time, we didn’t know much about the dishes shown. We felt that a sample of different dishes was the safest way to go, so we ordered a tasting menu. That was the right move! Every dish that came out was unique and tasty. We have continued that tradition every time we have gone there.

Last night, we started with a Peruvian ceviche, with kampachi (a fish much like tuna), leche de tigre, sweet potato mote, rocoto (Peruvian chili pepper) aioli and pickled onions. Delightful! The next ceviche was made with tuna, garlic, lemongrass, soy-yuzo (which one website defined as “bonito, citrus, and mirin rice wine”) and sesame. Again, a combination of flavors different from what I had known, but it was a delight to the tastebuds and to the eyes.

The chef combined dishes from other Latin and other Asian cultures into the menu as well. The duck taco had kimchi (from Korea) and radish combined with the duck confit and flour tortillas. There were interesting plays on expectations. It would be hard to imagine a Latin wonton, but the aji di galina wonton combined braised chicken, walnuts and purple olives in a way which surprised and delighted the senses. Rounding out the dinner was a braised beef short rib and taro puff, Chifa chicken, humita and (not for the faint of heart) spicy Chinese eggplant.

Chifa surprises and delights even in what might be seen as less important items. The bread is fresh-baked and comes with a choice of sauces. The sangria was not just a wine with whatever was left over of the fruit salad. Our sangria contained many ingredients. Two stand out in my mind. One was the Peruvian purple corn. The other is the Peruvian brandy added to the sangria—Pisco Porto`n. It was so distinctive that I requested to see the bottle. Taking a sip, I was impressed—brandy usually doesn’t have a kick like that while being incredibly tasty. Dessert and coffee were tasty and the coffee was strong.

We have been there a half dozen times. We save it for special occasions because we always want the tasting menu—and we are both too old to eat that much food very often. Those disciplined enough to order items off of the menu won’t have that problem. We also enjoy the excellent service and the surprise and delight of discovering new dishes. We will be back again soon!

3  Thank phillyguy1776