“Skip Geno's and Pat's. Go to John's Roast Pork”
Review of John's Roast Pork

John's Roast Pork
Ranked #33 of 4,465 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The dang Travel Channel ran a repeat of Food Wars on Cheesesteaks and it made me hungry. So I went to Philadelphia to try one for my self. Geno's steak was tough. Pat's was too greasy and Tony Luke's was a little shy on the meat. John's on the other hand was a perfect steak. This place is small and gets crowded, but somehow they pull it off. As you move through the line you grab a bag of chips and your soda and then order. The grillman starts making your steak. You move down the counter and pay at the end.

I watched as the grill man start with lots of thinly sliced steak. He added the onions and the cheese and finish grilling it on the flattop. A third guy splits the roll and has them ready on the counter top. When the cheese melts the grill man scoops up the meat/onion/cheese mix and plops it in the waiting bun. Bam, they call out your name. I barely had time to put the change in my wallet.

The roll was just right. A little flaky/crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. The meat was perfectly cooked and tender. Somehow the flavors in this sandwich worked better than the other steaks I had on my trip. I think the secret is mixing the cheese and onion instead of added them on top. I grabbed some peppers and sat in the patio and had a fantastic lunch.

Now this isn't even their signature sandwich. I went back the next day to try the roast pork but I got there after 3:00 and they had shut down. I guess I will have something to look forward to on my next trip and I will certainly go early!

1  Thank DDDRW

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Went with a friend from work. He had a cheesesteak. Said it was one of the top five he has had. I had the roast pork sandwich. Best sandwich I have had. What else can you say?

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Came to Philly to visit. Obviously had to try the cheese steaks. This place does live up to its name on the internet! Very upbeat! Very busy, obviously know why. But make sure you know your before hand. Kinda hard being first time visitors. Very good food though.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

It was a rainy day on our visit to John's, but the hot and fresh Philly Steak sandwich brightened my day! My son and I ordered cheese steaks wit (how you say it in South Philly) provolone and onions. We added mayo and ketchup outside at the self-service bar area. Yum and yum again! I barely finished my sandwich as it was very filling.
A tour guide I overheard on Independence Mall was telling a visitor that the best cheesesteaks were right around the mall area, and that Gino's and Pat's weren't worth the drive. I piped in that John's was the place to go, and he responded that only if you were drunk would you eat at John's. Don't know what he was talking about, because this was one of the best cheesesteaks I have ever had!

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Wish we had also tried the pork, but who knows when the next opportunity to have another cheesesteak in Philly will come again. This place is located in a questionable part of town just like any good bbq joint. There's an abandoned dilapidated building right across the street, but the outside picnic tables (only seating) are full of people from all walks of life. We ordered regular cheesesteaks (steak, provolone cheese, and onions). If I had another chance, I'd put peppers/sweet peppers on it as well. The best part about these sandwiches is the quality of the ingredients, which make for a clean fresh tasting cheesesteak...something often missing from such a beefy sandwich. Comes on a sesame roll, not sure if they have options.

Been to John's Roast Pork? Share your experiences!