“Get the cheesesteak!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Maneuvering through the streets of Philly is an adventure unto itself. Ordering at John's Roast Pork is no exception. It was a bit confusing placing our orders. There are two different lines, one for cheesesteaks, the other for roast beef or roast pork. Unfortunately, being newbies, no one told us of such. Instead of taking our order all at once, (ordering for 7 people) they had us order one at a time. Somehow, we ended up with an extra cheesesteak.

Take my advice and order the cheesesteak; the pork, John's is supposedly famous for, was bland. I should have listened to the local when he dispensed the same information as my family and I were perusing the outdoor menu. Skip the pork, get the cheesesteak!

The venue is old and tiny with no inside seating. It was chilly out, but we had fun sitting on the picnic benches trying out the food. Lots of locals here since it is off the beaten track and the food is very reasonably priced.

1  Thank susi37

Reviewed 26 October 2013

If your in Philadelphia and want the "Best" cheese steak in Philadelphia, forget Geno's and Pat's, just a mile away, John's Roast Pork has them beat! However, their roast pork sandwich that gives them their name, is more flavorful and twice the size. John's has more selection and of toppings and cheeses as well as deli meats to custom make your sandwich. I haven't tried their breakfast sandwich yet, but the sign says "voted the best in Philadelphia". I'll never eat anywhere else in PA again.

Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I got the chicken parm sandwich and my party got tge pork, cheesesteak and vegetarian and due to the reviews im thinking its gonna taste like heaven but it was so bland and I tried the other sandwiches to see if it was just my sandwich but nope they were all the same way lol ide rather go yo steves prince of steaks or chickies n petes but I totally was not impressed for all the hype or

Reviewed 7 October 2013

The dang Travel Channel ran a repeat of Food Wars on Cheesesteaks and it made me hungry. So I went to Philadelphia to try one for my self. Geno's steak was tough. Pat's was too greasy and Tony Luke's was a little shy on the meat. John's on the other hand was a perfect steak. This place is small and gets crowded, but somehow they pull it off. As you move through the line you grab a bag of chips and your soda and then order. The grillman starts making your steak. You move down the counter and pay at the end.

I watched as the grill man start with lots of thinly sliced steak. He added the onions and the cheese and finish grilling it on the flattop. A third guy splits the roll and has them ready on the counter top. When the cheese melts the grill man scoops up the meat/onion/cheese mix and plops it in the waiting bun. Bam, they call out your name. I barely had time to put the change in my wallet.

The roll was just right. A little flaky/crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. The meat was perfectly cooked and tender. Somehow the flavors in this sandwich worked better than the other steaks I had on my trip. I think the secret is mixing the cheese and onion instead of added them on top. I grabbed some peppers and sat in the patio and had a fantastic lunch.

Now this isn't even their signature sandwich. I went back the next day to try the roast pork but I got there after 3:00 and they had shut down. I guess I will have something to look forward to on my next trip and I will certainly go early!

1  Thank DDDRW
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Went with a friend from work. He had a cheesesteak. Said it was one of the top five he has had. I had the roast pork sandwich. Best sandwich I have had. What else can you say?