“Beautiful Property”

GreenLeadersGold level
Arlington, Virginia
“Beautiful Property”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Spent one night there. It is a beautiful property--very historic looking building inside and out, yet they have done a great job modernizing the interior. Looks very chic.

The hotel room itself is very modern, and has a lot of high quality finishes. The linens were also very high quality and were very clean. In fact, the entire property was meticulously maintained and very clean.

Didn't try the restaurant or bar, but it looked like people were enjoying themselves.

Valet parking was $38 and takes a long time (20+ minutes).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Connecticut
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The hotel is in a historic building a block north of City Hall that has been handsomely rebuilt inside. It's a study in contrasts: huge windows, high ceilings, gorgeous wood paneling in the lobby and restaurant, and a mellow, brick-lined and sky-lighted atrium in what must once have been an inner courtyard, along with bright, modern, sometimes playful or quirky interior design throughout. Our room was spacious, beautifully equipped, and had a stunning view of City Hall. The furnishings, as advertised, were very modern, but also very comfortable. The bed was just great.

The staff are welcoming and extremely good at their jobs. Every single person greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to help make us comfortable. Breakfast in Amuse Restaurant was a real treat -- great food, and there, too, the service was intelligent, caring, and professional.

I can think of only three things that weren't perfect. The location is a little off the beaten path and can feel lonely at night. It takes the valet a long time to retrieve a parked car. And the bathroom sink dripped aubidly, and tended to splash or spray when used. But none of these will stop be from returning on future trips. This hotel is stylish, friendly, and fun.

Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Really love this hotel. The architecture is unusual and has a very upscale feel to it. The service is outstanding and location ideal. This is our first-choice hotel when we travel to Philly.

1 Thank Gloria N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2011

On arrival the valet were friendly and continued that way throughout my 3 day solo business stay. Check in was smooth. Room service was great and I do not have anything negative to say about the hotel.

Valet parking was a little steep at $38 per night, but I am not familiar with other hotels in Philadelphia as it was my first time. I do not know if this is standard or high for the area. Considering in LA I pay around $25-30 I thought it was higher than average.

The room was clean and had good decor and ambience. It wasn't the largest of hotel rooms but they used their space well and it did not feel cramped. The bathroom was spacious, it had a shower only which suits me fine.

I had breakfast once in the restaurant and room service once. Room service was perfect. Amazing food, great service, it arrived in 20 minutes. Breakfast in the restaurant wasn't so great. They mixed up my order and then brought the wrong style eggs. I wasn't in a hurry that morning so wasn't a huge problem. They were apologetic and resolved the issue, and also brought some complimentary fruit.

Overall the stay was good, perfect location walking distance to stores Macy's etc, and an efficient valet service. Make sure you call for your car before time if you are in a rush aanther say it can take up to 20 minutes although I always got mine in 10. The hotel also gives you a $10 credit if you go green and do not have maid service that day which is also a bonus.

I loved the outdoors in feel they have in the corridors with the exposed bricks, and they have lovely elevator music. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Just spent four nights five days here on a business trip. Very close to the convention center which was really nice. Location for the most part is very good and within walking distance or a short cab ride.

Upon arrival the first day there was staff to open the doors for us. After that, we had to open the doors ourselves. At one point I counted six employees standing outside on the steps or sidewalk and not one opened the door or bothered to say good morning, good afternoon…nothing. This was a huge disappointment considering we paid in excess of $200 a night.

Previous posts make the bar sound like it’s the happening spot. It’s very bland. Very limited seating, but I will admit a nice place to start the night or end it. Bar staff was very helpful in supplying information.

Check in process went smooth. Elevators are very close to the doors, (which you have to open yourself) and the sounds on the elevator are horrible. I prefer not to hear waves of an ocean, some music would be better!

Rooms – I read previous posts about how clean they are. I was very disappointed. There were little fuzz balls etc underneath the closet. The curtains directly across the air vent were filthy and very noticeably dirty considering the curtains are bright red and it was caked with dust!!! – Speaking of air, you can control your own A/C, but 65 degrees with the fan on medium is really about 70. – All the previous posts mention this and it’s true. So if you like it to be comfy, be forewarned, its not.

The bed is soft yes. The sheets and comforter are nice, but the pillows really are not all that. Softer then most hotels, but not luxurious by any means.

Helped myself to a $4.00 orange juice in the refrigerator that sells for about 69 cents at 7-11. Drank half the bottle and realized the expiration date on the bottle was well over a month ago. Advised the front desk and they without question took the $4.00 expense off my bill and told me they would come up to my room and re-stock the orange juice - they never did.

I’m shocked that this hotel doesn’t have I-Pod clocks/docking stations in their rooms. For as modern as this hotel is in décor, it lacks the essentials. Only one bath robe in the bathroom? I guess one must share with their spouse. 3 towels? What happened to 4?

Rooms and hallways are quiet…that I did like.

The literature they put in this folder and place on the bed… little lesson here management – you might want to consider updating the info or at least putting the info on non coffee stained, rippled, torn and worn out paper. Look like some kids homework was chewed up, brought through the wash and set on our bed. – Pretty tacky really…

The wallpaper in the bathroom is hideous. Showers are nice, sink works good, tile is clean. Tried to ask a concierge for info on restaurants but she was gone for two days, and the gal at the desk just moved to Philly, the bartender we asked just came here from jersey, so no one knew anything. Felt like going down the road to another hotel. A shame for when you pay over $200 a night.

Overall, it is a nice hotel, but I think they assumed it runs itself and have failed to maintain the quality that they pride themselves in. I’m somewhat disappointed. I think I would have to consider other near by hotels before I stayed here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and be specific! - We asked for a view and were given a view of a roof t...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank RealisticMike
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Got this hotel on a "don't know the name, but here's the price" website and loved it. Very chic, remodeled building close to convention center, Reading Terminal market, and Olde City in Center City Philadelphia. Also close enough to the Art Museum for a quick evening run up Ben Franklin Parkway and the museum steps a la Rocky! Valets were good, if a bit expensive and overwhelmed at times, and the lobby bar/restaurant was buzzing nicely through the evening. Starwood has their their name and mark on this hip, comfortable hotel. The bed was awesome, amenities and robe top quality, life was good.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Our Academy spent three nights at this hotel and it is a wonderful hotel and one of the best hotels that our academy has stayed at and we travel North America as well as all over the world. It is centrally located and beautiful view from the rooms and the decor in the rooms are excellent and the staff are first class and all of them went out of our way to be helpful in every way. We arrived on the night of hurricane Irene and all of the staff were so helpful.
I would recommend very highly if you are travelling as a group of individually, the food and catering service is excellent and the Hotel is one of first class and quality accommodations and personnel. Myself and all of my academy recommend this Hotel with a 5 star rating and we will come back to this hotel every time we come to Philadelphia. Contact Group Sales, they are most helpful for groups and will look after your stay. Bobby Graham, Winstars Soccer Academy Director

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business