“Great Design, Location, and Service”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Great Design, Location, and Service”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

For a quick anniversary getaway last year, my wife and I settled on Philadelphia. I got a good rate for this Le Meridien, in the heart of Center City, and we were very pleased with our stay there. I like hotels that are architecturally distinctive, and this one -- a converted YMCA with Georgian Revival design -- nicely blended classic and modern design. We had a nice dinner in the hotel's ultramodern bar/brasserie, Amuse, and the hotel was a perfect jumping-off point to see the Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts and do a Center City walking tour. The staff were uniformly helpful and pleasant. I'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the front
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kansas
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This was a very nice hotel in a great location in the middle of downtown Philadelphia. It has a very nice lobby and bar area, and the rooms are spacious and clean. If I was in the area I would stay here again, as I had no issues and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bguth11
East Hampton, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here as part of our Taylor Swift "RED" weekend in Philadelphia. With our two "swifties" ( age 10&9) in toe, my wife and I were looking to keep it simple. We didn't want a huge sprawling hotel offering every conceivable amenity of lukewarm quality. We wanted something more manageable, well executed in both fit and finish and we found it at Le Meridien. Le Meridien is the definition of a boutique property. Stylish in an urban, transitional way, with both classic architectural detail and European sleek elegance. The staff overall was very helpful and attentive to all our needs.We were upgraded to a family suite ( 1 queen/2 doubles + living area) not sure why but we were very grateful. Beds were VERY comfortable. Varied breakfast offering. Great bar area front and center as you enter.
Notes/Observations
We didn't take advantage of the valet parking. We arrived early and found parking 1 block away for 5$ for 12 hours ( next to Drexel U).
Reading Market: 2 blocks from the hotel..Must see. Try to go hungry but go, there is something for everyone.
LOVE Park: Was being used as a bath tub by the locals. It was 95 degrees that weekend but kind of a turnoff. We didn't see much in the way of the authority during our stay ( no police presence at all..walking on the street, in the subways, patrolling in cars...nothing. We didn't feel threatened but you are on your own on the streets.
Lots of homeless and "down-on-their-luck" persons roaming about.
Subways : low marks, took to Lincoln Park its fast , that only nice think I can say. Philly struggling here.
Museum of Modern Art/Fairmont Park area: Ran a 5K in this area, Nice, clean. Boathouse area has charm. Museum gets high marks all around. If it 95 degrees its nice to be inside.

Room Tip: snag one of the family suites if you can. We were just lucky
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at the Convention Center and the location was ideal. While the outside of the building says "historical building" the inside is very modern. My room was very spacious and quiet. It faced the inside of the building (atrium) so that may have kept it quiet but I never heard any noise from the hall or ajoining rooms. All the amenities were there including a comp bottle of water. Very roomy bathroom with a huge shower and the king bed was very comfy. Only drawback to the room is that the thermostat has a motion sensor so while you are sleeping the air conditionng goes off! I woke up both nights at about 5am and had to move around the room to start up the AC again!

The only negatives to the hotel were the additional costs of parking and internet. The hotel only offers a $48 per night valet parking option. That is very high and you can park your car yourself just around the corner for $20 per day. Also, in this day and age still charging for internet is not acceptable. I can stay at a Hampton Inn and not pay for my internet access but I have to at a 4 star hotel? Lastly, I found the front desk staff to be very inconsistent and not really engaged. On the other hand, the rest of the hotel staff was lovely and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2013

A top quality hotel for business travel in Philadelphia. The rooms were clean, bright and comfortable. The staff was excellent and accommodating to all of our requests. The restaurant area is appropriate for conducting business breakfast/lunch/dinners. It is easy to conduct a meeting and there are separate function rooms. Centrally located and in walking distance from most major office buildings downtown and close to other restaurants in the area. An excellent property, whose staff should be commended for their professionalism.

Room Tip: Option for interior courtyard. If you like it to be darker - a good option.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
NSW
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived, the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Make sure you ask for a room with an exterior view as some face the inner courtyard which I personally wouldn't like.

I was jet lagged and not feeling great - the black out curtains worked well, air con worked perfectly and the bed was super comfy. Bathroom was large and bright, could do with minor makeovers but clean enough with good shower pressure.

I was travelling alone and it was my first time to Philly so made use of the lobby bar which had a lovely vibe. The drinks were really reasonably priced for a hotel, bar staff couldn't be friendlier....but the best part are the pretzel nuggets which you can order from the snack menu. OMG. Don't leave without trying these freshly cooked gems!!

I ate breakfast twice in the restaurant. Great food and service, Illy coffee which I love. Spoke to many guests during breakfast as it seemed to be quite a social place. Also used the gym each day which is one of the best I've come across.

Downsides? Not great to walk around after dark... I felt a little uneasy being female and walking along the darker street. I'm a Starwood member but booked through Expedia. Some properties still honour your points but the receptionist pretty much ignored me when I asked! I know it's not required but some friendly acknowledgement would have been a nice gesture.

I will be back for sure. Thanks team!

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MS08
jacksonville, fl
Reviewed 10 July 2013

hotel was clean and had a nice appearance. Very new age, if you know what I mean. if you are there on business near City Hall, location was great. the breakfast was very pricey for what i saw. there was a buffet with about 5 items on it and juice and coffee for $24. I passed. No pool. We stayed here for the nostalgia. My husband use to work out at this location 30 years ago when it was a YMCA. After his work out he would walk to Reading Terminal for Carrot juice where he met met. For $10 extra you can work out in the gym attached to hotel or there is one on 5th floor. all in all it wasn;t bad but i prefer to stay closer to front street and the restaurants.

Room Tip: rooms that face inside courtyard are good fro sleeping. No noise very little natural sunlight to wa...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple