“Great hotel if you can get a discount”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past month. The first time it was midweek and we were given a beautiful room with a view of city center. The hotel is modern and very nice. It is in a great location. It was a 15 minute walk to all the shops and restaurants in Rittenhouse Square. It is probably a pretty far walk if you are seeing the historic sights in the old city. The second time we stayed there is was a very disorganized check in, they couldn't find my reservation even though I was showing them my email confirmation. It all got worked out but they gave us a room with a view of a brick wall 5 feet away instead of apologizing for check in taking 30 minutes and making sure we had a nice room. All in all I would stay here again if I got a discount. No need to pay more than $225 per night for this hotel

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Room was great, staff was professional and friendly...bar in the lobby was a great spot for a pre-dinner drink. In a pretty good spot for walking to dinner, we had a 10 minute walk in the evening, stopped for gelato on the way home. Not sure how it works if you want to self-park your car, but we were in for an anniversary evening so I felt like paying $40 to valet park. Drinks at the bar were extremely reasonably priced.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Jesse,

Thank you for the five star review! I am delighted you chose to celebrate your anniversary in our hotel and enjoyed the experience. It's great to hear you had the opportunity to enjoy drinks in our bar.

Sounds like you may have found one of my favorite Philadelphia gelato spots - Capogiro, just a few short blocks from the hotel. It's a great find in our neighborhood and I hope many other travelers have the chance to enjoy the same treat.

I hope we have the chance to serve you again before your next anniversary!

Safe travels,
Evan

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed for two nights at the Le Meridien in downtown Philadelphia. Historic building - was once a YWCA, private school and DA offices. The room was large and roomy for two people. Had a great view of City hall. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful and provided concierge services when that desk was not occupied. The location is convenient with public transportation near by. I would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: ask for a city view - our room overlooked City hall and the Masonic temple
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed at Le Meredien Philadelphia for one night for a business trip. At first, everything seemed fine- nice valet guy, nice woman at check-in. But, there were several issues with my room. One of the bath towels had a hole in it; the top sheet on the bed, when folded down, had a large yellow stain; the headboard had yellow stains on it which were skillfully covered by the pillows standing up (who makes a hotel headboard of white fabric??); the marble side tables had numerous rings on them from glasses, like they had not been wiped in weeks. A hotel in this category should not have any of these issues at all. I could pay a quarter of the price and stay at motel 6 if I want holes in the towels. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 2 October 2013

There are so many better places to stay in Philadelphia, I cannot imagine why anyone would choose this one, particularly at the kind of prices they get. The room was fairly "compact" (read small), the restaurant vastly overpriced (a bowl of ordinary oatmeal is $10; $11 if served in the room) and the food is truly ordinary, to say the least. Parking (valet only) is $40 per night plus 20% tax. The whole experience was a big disappointment except that all the employees were very nice and most helpful. They have that part down pat. The lobby is like an obstacle course getting from the entrance to the elevator. If I couldn't get into one of the hotels I prefer, I would try some other establishment, not this one.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2013

First...a shout out to Misha at the front desk who made the good things great and fixed the bumps along the way. She is a gem. And Willy at the Bar who served as back up concierge and all around great guy. And John who got us into a restaurant that was sold out which we loved! If I was in town for business......the hotel would absoutely suffice. For our long weekend vacation, we thought it missed the mark. Something about the location across from City Hall was just lacking on a weekend where during the week, it seemed to be a part of the action. Service at the front door was a far cry from the service in the hotel. But most of all...we were dissapointed by the room. This design is what gives modern a bad name. Bland and inexpensive. The armoir door was falling off on our first room. As this is an old YMCA converted to a hotel....the rooms were indeed small and we had to actually ask (and done right away) to bring a chair to our room as there was no where to sit. The design just was not good. Even after a few nights....we continued to get one bottle of water and one bathrobe. (In the am...no turndown service) But we enjoyed our breakfasts and the redo of the building in general including the atrium was well done (and saved a pretty wonderful facade) So Kudos there. And our Starwood perks did give it that special extra which always helps. Also enjoyed the $10 entrance for guests to the gym next door. Just not consistant in my eyes to many hotels in this chain....except for the staff of course!

Room Tip: Opt for a City Hall View.....its pretty amazing at night!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My usual Philadelphia hotels were booked so I stayed at the Meridien. This is not the chain's top hotel. It's fine but not 4 or 5 star. The lobby is very modern, and you have to walk through furniture to get to the elevators. Odd lay out The rooms are decent but nothing special. I arrived late and ordered room service dinner. The food was terrible, and I am not picky. I expect better from a Meridien hotel. The Sofitel in Philadelphia is a step above this hotel. The Westin is on par.

Room Tip: Upgrade before you get there. I am a starwood gold preferred member and no upgrades were available...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business