“A new customer service low...”

Le Meridien Philadelphia
Ranked #25 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 April 2014

So, we bid and won deluxe accommodations at Le Meridien through a silent auction at a charity event. We called Le Meridien to make the arrangements - they took our gift cert info and told us we were all set and to have an incredible stay. As busy parents of young children, we wedged in the best night we could - over my wife's birthday weekend. We landed an overnight sitter rearranged swim lessons, rushed normal weekend activities, and prepared ourselves to have a fun night in the city. Then we got to Le Meridien. The front desk attendants started off so nice, then would not honor our gift certificate. She didn't say it was invalid, in fact we confirmed that the gift certificate was noted in the booking. She simply said we should have called a different number to make the arrangements because that night the room we had wasn't one of their gift cert rooms (or something like that). The problem is that number that was given on the gift certificate always had gone to voicemail, which is why we just called the main number, but made sure we confirmed that we'd be all set. We explained that, but she wouldn't budge. She said we could stay and pay for the room, but she couldn't honor our gift certificate. And so ruined the birthday weekend I had planned for my wife. Such a nice thing they did for charity.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MillsyTrotter
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

MIllsy Trotter
Thank you for sharing your comments. I can understand how frustrating it was to encounter that experience while trying to celebrate your wife’s birthday. Clearly we made mistakes through this reservation and I offer my apologies.
We are delighted to contribute complimentary nights to select charities. We do offer those certificates with certain date restrictions and unfortunately the date you preferred was restricted. We should have returned your voicemail and offered alternative dates. Our second mistake was the central reservation not referring you back to the property instead of accepting your reservation for a suite. Lastly, we should have better handled the situation while you were trying to check in.
I want to thank you for your generous support of that charity and I will be more than happy to continue honor the commitment we made with our generous contribution. Please contact me directly so that we can plan an opportunity to remedy the situation and earn your respect for commitment to serve you and recognize our missed opportunities.
Regards,
Evan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,387)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Great location, friendly staff, spacious clean rooms. The hotel is situated in the heart of downtown Philly near the banking district. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance with a view of city hall from the front parts of the hotel.

The beds are very comfortable in the regular king rooms, good quality linen, well-appointed bathrooms, plush fittings in the rooms.

My only two complaints (if you could even call them that):

The reception counter is around the corner from the main entrance. There is a bar counter in front of the main entrance which is actually a bar serving clients, not a reception / front desk. The seating in this area is also in my opinion a but badly planned for a hotel with high foot traffic, as the seating areas for the bar are scattered between the front entrance and the elevators, forcing guests to circumvent that area every time they leave or enter the hotel. This isn't a catastrophe, but one reason why I wouldn't give the hotel five out of five (I would have given them four-and-a-half if it were possible).

The other issue - breakfast at Amuse is prohibitively expensive (around $50-60 for juice, coffee, yoghurt and an omelette).

Don't order cheesesteak from the room service menu, go to Steve's Prince of Steaks in town (recommended by the front desk).

Room Tip: Try for a room facing the square - great views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We checked into the Meridien of Philadelphia and found ourselves in a lovely, recently modernized hotel. Not a monster either. Apparently the thing was a YMCA in its previous life. The hotel is built around what is now an interior courtyard, and that is used as a business center and lounge space. New quick elevators, lovely furnishings (not hotel-bland either, the bright fire engine red curtains in our room were a treat!) i really like the place. ONe quirk - we were in room 757 which is nice and long, but not deep. So whoever laid this one out put the bed, facing the wall, at one end and the TV at the other. So to watch the tv whilst in bed (a failing of this lazy person sad to relate) you gotta roll over on your side and get out the binoculars, or sit on the edge of the bed, or some other as yet undiscovered contortion. Otherwise, we loved the place, and the room service coffee is excellent too!

Room Tip: We lucked out and got an exterior room. I would imagine the interior rooms, the ones on the court...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A recent trip to a conference in Philadelphia, we selected a hotel online and sometimes when you are in a hurry, you are taking your chances. I have to say this hotel far exceeded our expectations. The staff were friendly and always eager to assist with whatever we needed. When we travel to conferences like these, we generally have a trade show booth and that in itself requires a lot of detail to organize. Inevitably, there is always something missing from our supplies, we need directions and/or help with shipping items back to our office. These folks went far above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. Its not a large hotel, however it would appear that it has been recently renovated. The rooms were clean, had large well appointed washrooms and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I hope I get another chance to go back to Philadelphia - if for nothing else - to stay here again! Great job by the staff at Le Meridien Philly!

Room Tip: There are rooms that face a courtyard or that face the street. I stayed in one that faced the court...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Comfortable, clean room with modern furnishings. The hotel has a great location for sight-seeing.

WIFI is only in the reception area, which is a bit annoying. Parking was also a bit of a nightmare. It's very pricey if you want to park nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I recently stayed at Le Meridien and it was great. The building itself is great, with a very cool lobby bar area, and our room was high-end. Our best experience, however, was with the service. I left a tie in my room, and the housekeeping staff was nice enough to find it after we left, and to send it to me, without even asking me to pay for the shipping. That is first class, A+ service and I will stay there on all my future trips to Philadelphia.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Located in the center of everything and blocks away from the cities main attractions such as City Hall, Love Park, the Convention Center, Rittenhouse Square and Chinatown is the Le Meridien Philadelphia. The rooms are immaculate and the bed was exactly what I needed after a long day. The Le Meridien Philadelphia staff went out of their way to treat my family as if it were their own. To top it off, the wifi has been updated since my last visit and was as fast as any hotel I have stayed in recently. I highly recommend the Philadelphia Meridien...even above the Parker Meridien in NYC.

When I stay in Philadelphia, I stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Love Park and City Hall.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business