“too many great options to choose from”
Review of Oyster House

Oyster House
Ranked #15 of 4,444 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Center West
Description: Formerly known as the Sansom Street Oyster House. Re-opened recently as The Oyster House. Would like to write a review.
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The staff at our hotel recommended this restaurant when we indicated that we wanted sea food.

There were many great options but the steamers that I ordered were the best ever.This is saying a lot considering that I lived in Rhode Island for 4 years. Service was excellent. This is a go to place on our next visit.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Legal Seafood, wake up...this is your benchmark and you are not even close! We went for lunch and tried 2 of their soups, raw clams, and a shrimp cobb salad. First of all, the service is very attentive and helpful. The atmosphere is ... well ... Oyster House ish....not fancy but displays all kinds of oyster platters on the walls and includes a large c shaped bar with lots of oyster and clam opening going on behind it. The snapper soup was clearly not canned...or Bookbinders...it was a bit lighter, filled with meat, served with sherry and very wonderfully tasteful. The clam chowder was recommended and it was filled with clams and delightful flavor. Large oyster crackers are served in a huge glass mug on the table with horseradish as they should be...the cherry stone clams were big, fresh, and delightful. no shells and all clam...our cobb salad with warm shrimp was served with house vinaigrette dressing and we loved it. lots of blue cheese, bacon, eggs, etc...over a spring mix...we saw lobsters, fish platters etc go by and we can't wait to return for dinner! I only wish they took reservations.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Being from the Eastern Shore, I was quite skeptical about going for seafood in Center City. I was wrong. The Fried Oysters and Chicken Salad were some of the best that I have ever eaten. The Clam Chowder was excellent as well. Service was very attentive.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Our hotel concierge actually recommended the Oyster House to us and he was right. It's a great place for seafood in downtown Philadelphia, and is walking distance from most hotels.

We just showed up at 7 on a Friday night and they were very cordial and said it would be 10 minutes and it was!

We had the NE clam chowder, Fishermen's stew, and the flounder, and all were excellent.

Service was right there...very good.

Would definitely go back next time in town!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I happened to be staying in the area and decided to host a customer here for dinner. I ave walked past it several times but finally actually went in and I am glad i did We had great food, salads, mussels and mahi-mahi, very good service and could carry on a productive conversation. Really enjoyed the evening, I will be back for sure.