“Loved this hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Venice, CA
“Loved this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Very stylish and comfortable, very friendly and accommodating staff. Nice little perks like a magnifying mirror in the bathroom, complementary iced tea and wine bar in the lobby in the late afternoon, always a fire going which seems strange in the summer but still adds a cozy factor. This hotel was very centrally located which made walking a breeze.

Room Tip: Join InTouch Club for free wifi and minibar snacks
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank coopdedoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My mom and I visited Philly for the first time last week for a mother-daughter shopping/culture getaway. Having had great experiences with the Hotel Palomar in Arlington, VA as part of my wedding last year, we ponied up for a suite at the Hotel Palomar in Philly. We are so happy we did!

As I have come to expect from Kimpton hotels, the service was divine without being pretentious. Every member of the staff makes eye contact with you, acknowledges your presence, and goes out of their way to make sure that your stay is going well. The car valet/belhop went back to our (parked) car to retrieve my mom's laptop when she forgot it in the car - very nice. The wine happy hour at Kimptons is *always* a treat - the lobby is very calming and decorated nicely, and we enjoyed our complimentary wine, melon sangria, and truffle-oil popcorn. We missed it by about 10 minutes on our second night, and the hotel staff gave us coupos to get free drinks at the hotel bar (!). And, being dog lovers, we also loved meeting the canine guests of the hotel (Kimpton hotels are dog friendly), since we had to leave ours at home.

Our room (a two room suite with a pull-out sofa bed and a king bed in the bedroom) was beautifully appointed - soft purple/lavender hues with very modern decor, a flat screen TV in the sitting room and the bedroom, and a giant, luxurious bathroom with a deep soaking tub. I always wish they offered coffee pots in the rooms at Kimptons, but luckily my mom is an early riser and went down to the lobby to fetch us coffee each morning.

The location is fantastic, too. Lots of shopping on Walnut Street about two block away, and a great little tapas bar (Tria) less than a block from the hotel for dinner/happy hour/snacks. Getting to the historic sites is about a one mile walk, or you can pick up the Phlash trolley a few blocks from the hotel, which will take you all around town (including up to the art museum) for $2/trip or $5/day unlimited. Great deal.

Highly recommend this classy oasis in the city, and will definitely stay here the next time our travels bring us to Philly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank k99js06
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Dear K99js06,

Thank you so much for this detailed message about your Palomar experience; it is wonderful that you decided to have a mother and daughter getaway at our hotel! Our employees love to provide genuine care and comfort to all of our guests and I'm so happy you were able to see and feel that during your stay!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

From the time I pulled up to the valet to the time I left, it was clear that the Palomar is all about customer service. This is definitely not a 5 star hotel but it doesn't try to be. It's more of a cozy, comfortable feel, where it's more friendly smiles than white glove. But that was perfect for my trip to see the sights for Memorial Day weekend. The valet, the bell desk, the front desk, etc. all were friendly and eager to help and answer any question I had. Plus, you can't beat the free coffee in the morning and free happy hour in the late afternoon!

It's a great location, right by Rittenhouse Square, so it was a short walk to all of the shops and boutiques. My wife and I really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.

BTW, if you check out Kimpton Hotel's twitter, there's a secret word promotion going on this summer. I said the word at check in and we got an upgrade and coupons for free appetizers at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Just ask nicely.
1 Thank TravelingFr0mDC
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Only upright desk chair. Room size is about the size of a large bath in most upscale hotels. Bathroom is also small.

Room Tip: Try another hotel in area
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Not surprised as all kimptons are great! Walkable to most stores and right by rittenhouse square. Restaurant great and the standard kimpton wine happy hour was a little better with snacks and sangria. We used a discount voucher and that process was a nightmare. Wont do that again.

• Stayed June 2011
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

I booked here on the recommendation of a close friend, who remarked on how lovely it was to have dogs welcomed in the hotel, for those of us who miss our furry friends while we're away. Backed up with all the great reviews on TripAdvisor, it seemed the palce to be in Philly ... and we were right.

We arrived on my birthday, with a booking at a great Philly restaurant the Butcher and Singer. Just happened to mention this to the bloke at reception (Kevin, I seem to remember), who said he'd ring and make sure they looked after us. The restaurant was amazing - I was greeted with 'happy birthday!' and at the end of a superb meal received a complimentary sorbet with birthday greetings piped onto the plate. Super!!!

The hotel is one great work of art - superb architecture, sensitive restorations, lovely ambience, altogether a really pleasant environment with great staff, and of course the signature wine and popcorn happy hour. This is a great way to get to meet other guests and have a chat - we had fun. The room was terrific, a corner room with lovely views over the Baptist church spire next door. The hotel is really close to everything, the eateries on Rittenhaus Square, etc., and a walkable distance to the historic centre.

Breakfast was OK, great huge serves as usual, and the bar downstairs was good for a late afternoon drink before the happy hour.

Overall the hotel has a lovely atmosphere, the staff are exceptional, the doorman knows everything, nad it's a great place to stay.

1 Thank balhannah
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Dear Balhannah,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I really appreciate getting feedback from our guests. We do love our 4 legged friends, and our Director of Pet Relations, Duke is always trying to make some new friends. I will be sure to show Kevin your review, and Happy belated birthday! Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager
Hotel Palomar
Augsburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

My first night was planned; stayed in one of the glamorous suites overlooking old Philly rooftops and church spires. Had a bathtub with a gorgeous open view of the city -- with blinds for privacy. The room was comfortable, and I ate an excellent lunch at the hotel restaurant. My second night at the hote was less happy; my flight home had gotten into the air only to be turned back for weather-related reasons! It was very late at night and I was tired, so I paid the cab fare back to the city rather than stay near the airport. I was put up in a smaller (and cheaper) Palomar room, but with the same courtesy, greater warmth and sympathy. It's not an inexpensive hotel, but very centrally located, has nice wine and popcorn, charming decor.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business