“Not bad, but there has to be better in Philadelphia.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“Not bad, but there has to be better in Philadelphia.”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I would not recommend this hotel for business travelers, perhaps young adults/couples looking to visit Philadelphia as tourists. When business traveling, I prefer the larger chains where you can earn airline points during your stay. The hotel gets the "big picture" however my stay is always dependent on the small details which unfortanately, they've missed the mark.

Con's:
Small rooms
No coffee in rooms
Wireless $10
Room service food below average (you have to ask for a glass of water)
Numbers of phone impossible to read
Parking extra

Pro's:
(Very) Friendly staff
Trendy decor in rooms/overall
Yoga channel/mat available
Outside running guide

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 24 June 2011
Dear Tam9elk,

Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry to hear that you didn’t find our hotel to meet your expectations. I did want to let you know that we have a loyalty program called Kimpton In Touch where we can customize your visit to what you want. We can have a coffee maker in your room prior to arrival, complimentary wireless internet, and newspaper of your choice each morning. If you would like to sign up please contact me directly at sean.flanigan@hotelpalomar.com. Thank you again for feedback I will be sure to share your review with the team.

Best,

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager
Hotel Palomar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed at the Palomar during our over night trip to Philly for a music festival and Father's Day cook out. From the moment we pulled up we were graciously welcomed "home" to the Palomar. That put a smile on my face. However, once we stepped into our fabulous "living room" I knew this trip was going to be as nice as my trip to the Vero Beach Kimpton. Everyone from the Doorman (I love the shirts and hats they wear, very urban, very chic), to the garage company representative who parked our car and then went back with a smile for my boyfriends wallet (sigh), to the bellmen who were ready with directions and suggestions, to the young lady who checked us in and offered us a delicious fruit tea and pretzels, to the front desk staff who gave us dinner recommendations. Everyone was friendly and professional (not that required fake professionally friendly that stops as soon as you leave their desk/presence and when you're not remembered 2 minutes later). Out room was cozy, very well appointed. I loved the use of space (pocket doors to the bath -- which btw needs to be oiled a bit so that it will slide easier -- room 2011), the decor and linens. The bath tub was so clean it actually sparkled like no one had ever used it. The entire hotel was clean and very well maintained and officially "Green". If you don't want to be treated like just an average Joe.... try the Palomar in Philly and be treated like a favorite Cousin Joe. Smile. They even have a wine reception daily.

Now, that's just inside the hotel. Outside, the location was "spot on". It's located right in the middle of downtown. A variety of shops -- shoes!!!, a high end mall, numerous restaurants, a boutique grocery store, ice cream, tea, and at least one night spot were actually steps away. The cultural stuff -- independence hall, the liberty bell, etc. was a good walk (11/12 blocks) or a short bus (you catch it on the corner) ride away.

Am I raving about this place -- yes in a great way! I couldn't have asked for better. I know you'll love it. Great service, Great Accommodations, Great Location, Better than Great Value for your money.

By the way the Dandelion restaurant down the block has wonderful comfort food. Try the curry lamb. Skip the Fish and chips.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Visited Hotel Palomar in August when my husband and I went to Philadelphia on vacation. This hotel is AMAZING! I am a very picky traveler, I like everything to be perfect and this place lived up to my high expectations.

The rooms are very modern, the bed and the comforter are absolutely amazing, I felt as if I was sleeping in my own bed, didn't want to get out of bed in the morning, that's for sure. T

The bathroom is not too big, but enough space for everything.

The views from our room were wonderful; you can see the entire city from our window, especially pretty at nighttime. I was surprised how quiet it was, no noise from the street, always helps to be on the highest floor.

The location of the hotel is great as well. We took Amtrak train from Atlanta to Philadelphia and it was merely a 10-minute drive from the station. Once you walk outside of the hotel, there are millions of shops, restaurants, and LOTS of people walking to work. If you need to catch a cab, just walk to the curb and raise your hand. This definitely gives you a feel of being in New York.

The staff there is amazing as well. My husband and I had a tour planned to the Amish Country and had to get on a shuttle, the doorman found us in the lobby and told us that our shuttle was waiting, we didn't even have to stand there and look for it.

The turn down service is wonderful, every night we would get in after being tired from all the tours and would find our bed made up and radio turned on to some smooth jazz and lights turned down......just divine!

I would definitely come back to Hotel Palomar again, and from now on, I only try to look for Palomar hotels in any city that we travel to, definitely a company that CARES about their customers.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Frederick, MD
Reviewed 20 June 2011

What a lovely hotel in a trendy Philadelphia neighborhood! My husband and I were in town for a concert with friends at the "Linc" (Lincoln Financial Field). Our room was spacious and well appointed. The bathroom amenities are the same, excellent quality that we've come to expect from other Kimpton hotels.

There was a small snafu with our wake-up call. I mentioned this at check-out and our breakfast tab was comped. The young woman at the front desk was prompt and courteous in correcting the mistake and left me feeling very happy with her solution of taking care of our breakfast bill.

One thing to note: parking is very expensive at $40 per night, but you're in downtown Philly and spots are at a premium.

If we travel to Philly again, we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ahaddaway
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I am not a frequent traveler for business or pleasure, so on the rare occasions when I need to find a hotel, I find myself obsessing over details. I have had too many inconsistent experiences with large, corporate chain hotels and their inattention to detail. I do not care to deal with icky bedspreads, infestation, or unfriendly employees. In short, I am fussy. So I am not overstating the claim that the Palomar is a true gem -- a place that I would return again and again.

While the artsy/contemporary decor is not at all my style, this aesthetic was easy to accept given the friendliness of the staff, the location and surrounding neighborhood, and the immaculate upkeep of rooms and public areas. Morning coffee and evening wine tasting were also a nice perk.

But the best thing I can say about the Palomar is that it offered exactly what anyone wants in a hotel room: a consistently ultra-clean room, great climate control, a comfortable bed and quiet. Every evening that I returned from my conference activities, the Palomar felt like home.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room over Sansom & 17th!
1 Thank Jason S
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Dear PickEpickE,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I will definitely share this with the team. It is great that you enjoyed it so much that when you returned each day it felt like home!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager
Hotel Palomar
Washington,DC
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I got booked here through my corporate travel department and it was great! The staff was over the top nice and helpful, the room was nice, the bed was super comfortable and the location is great. I would definitely recommend staying here and I look forward to returning soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here. I'm a Kimpton member, so I don't know if that gave me carte blanche, but they really went out of there way. if something went wrong, they tried to make up for it. I got a free meal at the bar because my room wasn't ready on time, and they always made comments like "is there anything else," or "it's no problem if you'd like us to ..." There's a lot of competition in the hotel-filled area, so they do have to push the envelope. I definitely want to stay here again. My only complaint is the windows don't open. Pros: Beautiful rooms, bathtub, nice decor, tea/wine in lobby and a cold summer drink in the afternoon. Very large flat screens in room, too.

Room Tip: Become a Kimpton member.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo