“Being pampered by a first class hotel In Philly”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Geneva New York
“Being pampered by a first class hotel In Philly”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My Wife and I decided to get away from it all and take a short break to Philadelphia. We managed to get a fly-stay package with Liberty travel with a stay at a hotel called the Kimpton Palomar, conveniently located right down town in the Rittenhouse district.

Arriving much earlier than the guaranteed check in time of 3pm, our double Queen bedroom was never the less ready for our arrival and we were quickly and efficiently checked into the hotel by “Abby” (who generally works on the concierge desk but on this occasion was doubling up the duties as a receptionist on the morning of our arrival).

In fact, Abby had been communicating with me by email ever since she sent to me an email in advance of my stay at the Palomar to check in with my wife and I, whether we required any assistance with our forthcoming stay at the hotel. Right from the get-go we could not have felt more welcomed by the hotel through its concerned staff.

The hotel is what is commonly referred to as a boutique hotel and in my opinion, a five diamond or five star world class City center Hotel. We had a good sized room with two Queen sized beds. My wife and I were able to spread out and relax using the two beds during the day whilst sleeping as man and wife during the night, as we have done so these past thirty three years being married together.

The room lighting was good, the carpet clean, the bathroom was spotless and the air conditioning was quite. Frankly speaking there was nothing that I could fault about our room.

Each evening I went downstairs to the lounge where I enjoyed a glass or two of wine gratuity of the hotel for guests staying at the hotel. The room did not have an individual coffee maker as the hotel serves guests coffee each morning down in the lounge itself.

I particularly like to enjoy a coffee in the evening and first thing when I arise each day and so I requested a coffee maker and the guest services sent one straight up to our room with their compliments.

We were surprised that the coffee maker was not just a simple hotel standard filter coffee machine but a Keurig coffee maker which came with several types of coffee as well as decaffeinated coffee as well. I usually frown on hotels that give their guests so few coffee creamers but the hotel Palomar included several packets of creamer with the coffee.

This evening I went down to the lounge on my own for a glass of wine and whilst there began a conversation with a member of the hotel staff called Jim. He patiently and kindly listened to me chat away with him for which I am grateful because strangely enough I was feeling like a little company.

We plan on dining at the hotel restaurant Square 1628 in the next couple of days and I will then post a review about this experience. Meanwhile, I have no hesitation to recommend to readers to the Kimpton Palomar Hotel in Philadelphia.

Thanks to all the staff at the hotel who go out of their way to make their guests feel very welcome and just like family!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and the Queen Queen Rooms are excellent!
1 Thank Cobtree
Wendell B, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Cobtree,

It looks like our team made you feel right at home at our hotel. Our goal is to provide great service and thanks for noticing and letting us know that we made you feel right at home. I will share your comments with our team and they will be delighted to hear that you had a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon.

Wendell B.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Fabulous hotel! Extremely attentive service from the moment we pulled up and had no idea where to leave our car - someone was there in a second to valet it, help with bags, offer suggestions for restaurants, etc. The afternoon wine reception was fun and festive and the popcorn with truffle oil was intoxicating!! Rooms somewhat on the small side but very comfortable and well appointed! Only thing i would add is COFFEE!!! either in room service or lobby service would've made this a perfect experience!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Soupiesue,

This is a fun hip place to stay. Our entire team loves taking care of guest just like you. The popcorn can be addictive. I have to stay away from it myself. Please let us know the next time you're back in town and we would love to take great care of you again.

Director of Hip
Clarks Summit
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I took a quick trip (2 nites) to Philly and stayed at the Palomar. Loved this hotel. Very nice friendly staff, rooms were great (Stayed in a king spa room) The views from the 20th floor were amazing sitting in my spa tub. Bed very comfortable, Room neat clean upscale funky. Loved it highly recommend

Room Tip: Loved the King Spa room. Get a room with a spa tub
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Jim The Food Guy,

I am thrilled that you got a chance to experience one of our spectacular king spa rooms.. They are the best. We love it when our guest leaves feeling more relaxed and rejuvenated after a stay with us at Hotel Palomar. I have shared your comments with our team and they were elated.
Let us the know the next time you are coming back to Philly. We would love to have you back as a guest.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Super hotel. Fabulous room. Very friendly and helpful staff

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Claire,

Thanks so much for your review of our Hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Palomar. Please come back and stay with us the next time that you are in the City of Brotherly Love. I will make sure that I share your comments with our staff.

NJ
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This is a fantastic hotel. The staff is super nice. The hotel itself is small but beautiful, and the room was beautiful as well. We had a city view in our room with lots of large windows and really just a great view. The bed was not the most comfortable I have ever slept on, but I did have an uninterrupted night's rest. The hotel is very quiet, and has a nice bar downstairs. The location is fantastic - right in the heart of all the restaurants and shopping. I cannot say enough good things about this place - I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a city view - lots of windows!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Wendell B, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Fabulous,

We are thrilled that you had a fabulous stay here at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia. Our goal is to provide the best guest service in the industry. Our team is very passionate about our service and we are always looking to make it more special for our guests like you.

Captain Fabulous
Reading, UK
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The Palomar is a lovely hotel in a great location in Philadelphia. The suite I stayed in was a good size and very comfortable.

Reception was friendly and check in/ check out was an easy affair. Every single member of staff in the hotel that I passed said hello except for one surly fellow who really should not be working in hospitality.

I was disappointed to find that the sofa in my room had been turned into a bed whilst I was out of the room, this was due to an operational error and was quickly rectified by a friendly, smiling, apologetic house service person.

The road right in front of the hotel was a mess during my stay which made stopping for the valet parking a precarious affair. I was disappointed that when I got my car back it was covered in pollen, no attempt had been made to clear it from the windows.

Room Tip: Get a room up high however be prepared to wait for an elevator...
1 Thank talibragg
Dear Talibragg,

Thanks for your feedback. We have already shared your comments with our housekeeping and valet team members. We will put more attention around those areas that you metioned. Please come back and stay with us the next time that you are in Philly.

London
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I try to stay in a Kimpton if possible but the prices are going through the roof in certain cities. I like the hotel chain but not sure it's a $500 or $700 a night place. This one was well priced but had certain odd things.

My room was strangely shaped and quite small but well appointed. The bed was on a leather pedestal that had quite sharp corners and I nicked my shins several times walking around because the room wasn't that big. Overall, the bed was nice and comfortable and everything was clean and well designed - typical of a Kimpton. The WiFi was very slow - maybe they should consider putting in repeaters on the higher floors because I could barely get any email attachments.

I don't know when they decided to change their toiletries to ETRO but please change them back to something that smells more neutral. The ETRO products are very heavily fragranced and I couldn't use any of them because the scent made me sneeze.

Finally, the lobby area is not particularly well ventilated because if people are smoking outside, the smoke comes into the lobby and it's not pleasant sitting in there. The wine tasting was a very pleasant touch and the lime-salt popcorn is delicious.

The staff were nice but a little too cool and hip. Only one young woman at check out was friendly and chatty. The others were very fashionable and one young man was downright unfriendly and snooty when I couldn't find the breakfast area (it was signposted to go upstairs in orange chalk on a black chalkboard and wasn't the easiest to read). The bell staff were absolutely terrific.

All in all, a typical Kimpton experience but just a little less terrific than usual.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible. Very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TallSuzy
Dear TallSuzy,

Thanks for your feedback. We will share your feedback and concerns with our team. Our goal is to provide great service in a warm intimate atmosphere so that all of our guest feel special. Please come back and visit us again soon , please call me personally and we will take great care of you.