“Fun hotel in good location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fun hotel in good location”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed here for a night recently and was impressed with the hotel. Check in was nice and easy. We stayed in a spa room which had a ridiculous spa tub. Highly recommend. The room was small, but had a nice layout so plenty of room to move around. There is a free wine reception every night, this was a nice touch and a fun time. Was easy to walk everywhere from this hotel. Would def stay again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Elisabeth24,

Great to read you were able to relax and stay warm in your Spa Room. Thanks for sharing your review and for recommending us. Can't wait to have you back.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

They park your car for you, walk your dog for you, greet you with a smile at the front desk, give great suggestions on things to do & places to eat. What's not to like? The room was clean & had a great city view on the 22nd floor. The hotel is centrally located & convenient to historic sights. Oh, and the price was very competitive for downtown Philly. Stay here!

Room Tip: City view is best. We rolled the dice & didn't pay extra, but got one anyway!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Deutschmann,

Glad to hear your received such great service. Thanks for sharing the review of your stay. Hope to see you again soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at the Palomar the weekend before Christmas to celebrate my parents birthdays. We usually spend this this weekend in NYC but decided to change it up this year. Philadelphia was a great alternative, no big crowds like the city and got an awesome price on the room. Also, the location of the hotel was EXCELLENT - close to Rittenhouse and all the shops on Market? We walked to dinner (Twenty Manning), brunch (the Dandelion) and the Franklin Institute.

Things I liked:
1. The hotel being pet friendly. We just rescued a dog a few weeks ago so this was our first time traveling with a pet. Everything was very pet friendly - they had dog bowls and treats in the hotel. All of the workers came up and spoke to our dog and my parents dog and were always offering them treats.
2. The concierge. The concierge, Ariella, was wonderful and helpful. I still love the concierge at the Palomar in D.C. for being the most amazing/helpful person ever but Ariella in Phila was lovely. I had contacted her in advance to coordinate putting birthday cupcakes in my parents room while we were at dinner and she took care of getting the cupcakes, setting everything up, etc. (I was slightly disappointed that she put the cupcakes in their bedroom and not on the coffee table of the 1 bedroom suite - I was hoping for a "BAM! cupcakes" when we returned from dinner.. not having to search for them in the room. Also, I was expecting a bottle of champagne since both parents were celebrating their birthday - we received a bottle of champagne and 6 beers from local D.C. breweries when we were celebrating my husband's birthday in DC). We did receive a lovely note, bottled water and dog treats from her and my parents did get birthday cake slices (again, while a nice touch... if we were paying for the hotel to go out and get cupcakes, we didn't really need the cake - or I wish she told me this so we didn't order the cupcakes).
3. The decor was really nice, the bar and lobby sitting area were great! Our room was small but worked for what we needed. My parents had a 1 bedroom suite and it was quite large and had a spa tub (those tubs are worth the room upgrade).

Things I didn't like:
1. Was very slow in getting things, fulfilling requests. On my Kimpton rewards, I had asked to have dog bowls and a dog bed in the room. When we arrived and checked in we asked for bowls in the room. We ended up checking in, going to our rooms, taking the dogs for a walk and STILL not having bowls. I had to call down 2 more times before dog bowls were brought up. We never got a dog bed.
2. Was told different things every time I called. We had hoped to go to the Franklin Institute on Saturday, the day that we checked in - problem was they closed at 5 and check-in was at 3. When I made the reservations in September (for December), I was told that would be put on my account and to call the week of to see if we could be accommodated. I called on Monday the week of and was told to call back on Friday because they didn't know and wouldn't know until the day before we checked in (OK... fair). I called on Friday and they told me I had to call back at midnight or Saturday at 7am to find out - the lady I spoke with told me she would call me at 7am Saturday to let me know. Everytime I called they assured me that we could park our car and they would hold our bag - the problem was that we had dogs traveling with us and we needed a place to put them. I called the hotel at 8am Saturday and was told AGAIN that they couldn't let me know until noon. I finally called back around 10am, spoke to the concierge, and was told that she had put rooms aside for us and that they were ready! I feel like I got the runaround - and if the concierge had rooms for us, why did no one else know?
3. There were four elevators in the hotel but were VERY slow - we even took the stairs a few times (from the 8th floor)... yuck!

Recommendations:
If you are going to offer pet bowls, I think you should have different sizes. The bowls that we got were HUGE, and when our shih tzu would drink his whole face would get wet. If I had known that, I would have brought his own bowls.

Room Tip: We paid a bit extra for a "city view" but being on the 8th floor, all we saw were the side...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alison K
Dear KellymEnglish,

Thank you for bringing your family to Philadelphia for your annual trip. I'm pleased to see your parents had a great birthday. We will always try our best to accommodate an early arrival although we don't want to make any promises unless we're sure we can make it happen which depends on the departure of the previous guest. That day sounds like it was very busy! I'm happy to see we were able to get you in early in the end!

Hopefully your yearly tradition s in Philly again next year!

Kind Regards,

Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend with my husband (Dec 2013).

Pros:
1. Great location in walking distance to shopping, restaurants and Rittenhouse Square.
2. Check-in was easy with friendly staff.
3. We stayed in a Spa king room which was larger than I expected, and tastefully decorated. The king size bed was very comfy.
4. The hotel will store your luggage if you arrive early or need to leave it after your check-out time.
5. They allowed a late check out at 1pm without extra charges.

Cons:
1. Only valet parking is available at the hotel at $42/night. The hotel is located on a very busy street and the valet is right on the street corner. It was somewhat difficult parking and getting out of the car with all the traffic, and then having to get the luggage out of the car on a busy sidewalk with pedestrians walking by.
2 . When you walk into the hotel you are greeted by loud music and a chaotic lobby. The front desk is also not visible from the front door.
3. This hotel is listed as a 4 star, but the fixtures in the room were covered with dust. There is also no coffee maker in the room. I think a 4 star hotel can afford to place some keurig or nespresso machines in the rooms!
4. There were 2 robes provided in the room, but they were worn and the material was hard and itchy. Definitely not luxurious!
5. The spa king bathroom was large, but the bathroom door is a sliding door that does not close tightly so you can hear when someone is in the bathroom. Also the spa tub had hair in it from previous guest.
6. The walls are VERY VERY THIN. We could hear everything from the adjoining room as clearly as if we were in that room. There was definitely no privacy. We got very little sleep because of all the noise.

Overall although the location was ideal, we would not recommend this hotel based on the fact that it is listed as a 4star hotel, but in reality has several shortcomings. There are many other hotels in this area, so we would try another hotel on our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators because of the loud doors.
3 Thank sfrazi
Dear sfrazi,

I'm sorry to read you experienced shortcomings during your visit with us. Please know that your stay does certainly not meet our expectations either. Please reach out to me next time you are in Philadelphia so I may make it up to you.

Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My husband, corgi and I stayed at the Palomar for a stop over one night. We always stay at Kimptons if we can because of how pet friendly and relaxing they are. The front desk staff and valets were super friendly and on-point despite it being Thanksgiving weekend. The room was very nice, no frills (we booked the smallest room though so I can't comment on the nicer suites). The hotel is in a great location- tons of shopping, restaurants and a nice big park nearby to bring the dog too. We'll be back!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Champagne512,

Thanks for stopping over with us! We appreciate you taking the time to review us and look forward to having you back again soon.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Awesome hotel from the minute we checked in to the minute we checked out. Staff was great. They knew a lot about the local area and were very happy to help with suggestions for bars, restaurants, The hotel is dog friendly, which is great. We did not have our dogs with us, but many others did. The hotel was immaculately clean. Complimentary wine hour from 5 to 6 was a great way to start the evening. The hotel has so much to offer and is a great launching point to explorePhiladelphia.

Room Tip: We had a City View room. No street noise, but our neighbors were a little noisy when they came in at...
Dear Dave B,

I'm thrilled to read you were pleased with the service and accommodations during your stay with us. You have a lot of Hotel choices I'm Philly, thanks for staying with us!

Come back and see us soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Stayed in numerous Kimpton Hotels before. My wife and I enjoy staying at this one when we come into the city for a night of dining and drinking for the holidays. The location is great, wine hour had hot toddies this year which were great also. The spa rooms are outstanding, roomy and comfortable. The only downside was you couldn't check out via the tv and had to wait in line at the front desk to check out. The attached bar had great service and drinks.

1 Thank BarKat69
BarKat69,

Thanks for staying with us while you enjoyed our great city for the night. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the visit. Thanks for sharing your review. Come back and see us soon!

Kind Regards,